•  
Advertise here

17 hours ago, Xaf said:

I don’t have much offroad experience, but I would go for the pathfinder.

This is just from experience what I have seen with my own eyes from our group (Rahimdad and the other white Pathfinder, forgot his name) and also in other groups.

The car has different versions of engines, try to get the one with the higher volume. @Rahimdad

Rahimdad has the smaller one, he is doing fine with it, but he is also an expert and knows how to take everything with his relative smaller engine.

Good luck with the choice.

🤔

• Haha (+1) 4

As repeatedly said by all X-Terra has to be the number 1 choice by default, however 200K is too much and I would like to get something in that price range and model, but with max 120k or 140k kms and not more. First thing i will do is get it completely checked, cleaned, change all oils, filters, plugs wire sets, hoses that are hardened over time or even cracked. All rubber parts and bushes that need to be changed. Slap on Yokohama Geolandar AT-S and drive like a boss.

Wrangler is for full unadulterated fun, but where the vehicle is very capable, it is not as comfortable. My only concern is that if you learn driving in a Jeep it is very difficult for you to get used to lesser vehicles. The Jeep has many mods available in the market, someone once told me just like a Harley Davidson a Jeep is built and not bought. The 4.0 litre engine on it is bullet proof and has a very good gearing as well. I would prefer a Jeep Wrangler from 2001 model to 2004, rather than 2005. Seems they were the best built ever. But condition would be paramount as it can be very difficult to maintain and rather expensive to maintain as well.

If I really wanted to learn off-roading by challenging myself and yet having something very capable, i would go for the Pathfinder, 3.5 litre is strong enough. As I love challenging myself mine is a 3.3 litre version. You will have a lot of choices to make some cheap choice for mods or proper ones that will not cost you an arm and a leg. I find my Pathy pretty comfortable and it gives me enough torque to get me out of situations and get to to most places without breaking a sweat.

As for diff-lock with E-Terra you will find the rear diff-lock on the Off-road version. it is not a deal breaker, but if you can keep watching out for the ads and prepared to negotiate and bagain you will find a sweeter deal than the ones listed.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:10 AM, Chaitanya D said:

Hello all.

Now that weekend desert drive has kind of become a routine , my family is upping the ante against me for taking the patrol y62 to sand and getting it back all dirty.

I have decided I will go in for a used weekend desert drive car to save myself and also my y62 which has been a very comfortable drive for all at home.

I have shortlisted few used cars as below

1. Pathfinder 2005 3.5 L V6- 160000 km run for about 13.5 k (2nd owner)

2. Wrangler TJ 2006 4L V6 - 120000 km run for about 22 k.( 2nd owner)

3. X terra s  2010 4L V6 about  2 lac run for 25 k.( ? Probably 3rd)

All cars have been GCC , without any mods and have been Registered recently. All from direct sellers

I would like to have the suggestions from the forum on going ahead with these. Concern being all of them I think will not have a diff lock and how does that matter in the long run??

Personally if the pathfinder is good after checks , I will go ahead with it with some negotiation on price because it's quite cheap and probably easier to maintain.

Thanks in advance 

Will prefer Xtera as my first choice. Its pretty solid vehicle with adequate power to conquer any terrain. Jz keep in mind that u need to have a skid plate to be the first thing done before taking out for sand. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

As repeatedly said by all X-Terra has to be the number 1 choice by default, however 200K is too much and I would like to get something in that price range and model, but with max 120k or 140k kms and not more. First thing i will do is get it completely checked, cleaned, change all oils, filters, plugs wire sets, hoses that are hardened over time or even cracked. All rubber parts and bushes that need to be changed. Slap on Yokohama Geolandar AT-S and drive like a boss.

Wrangler is for full unadulterated fun, but where the vehicle is very capable, it is not as comfortable. My only concern is that if you learn driving in a Jeep it is very difficult for you to get used to lesser vehicles. The Jeep has many mods available in the market, someone once told me just like a Harley Davidson a Jeep is built and not bought. The 4.0 litre engine on it is bullet proof and has a very good gearing as well. I would prefer a Jeep Wrangler from 2001 model to 2004, rather than 2005. Seems they were the best built ever. But condition would be paramount as it can be very difficult to maintain and rather expensive to maintain as well.

If I really wanted to learn off-roading by challenging myself and yet having something very capable, i would go for the Pathfinder, 3.5 litre is strong enough. As I love challenging myself mine is a 3.3 litre version. You will have a lot of choices to make some cheap choice for mods or proper ones that will not cost you an arm and a leg. I find my Pathy pretty comfortable and it gives me enough torque to get me out of situations and get to to most places without breaking a sweat.

As for diff-lock with E-Terra you will find the rear diff-lock on the Off-road version. it is not a deal breaker, but if you can keep watching out for the ads and prepared to negotiate and bagain you will find a sweeter deal than the ones listed.

As always very detailed response from a well experienced "superman". Thank you !

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

27 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

Thanks @Frederic. I will definitely check out this "another" blue

both @Vanessa8580 and me were quite impressed when seeing it. Looks well looked after.

The 3.0 Engine (same as mine) is maybe little bit underpowered for extreme offroading, but the MK3 SWB model is light, capable, and even a pretty comfortable cruiser.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

both @Vanessa8580 and me were quite impressed when seeing it. Looks well looked after.

The 3.0 Engine (same as mine) is maybe little bit underpowered for extreme offroading, but the MK3 SWB model is light, capable, and even a pretty comfortable 

1 hour ago, tjsingh said:

I was checking this one out too, after the incident I've been thinking to get something that won't break the bank on repairs.

@Rahimdad I'm also inclined to get this one: https://tnydu.biz/DOy9Id

What you guys think? I'm not in rush to get something now. 

This car (pathfinder)doesn't have a number plate and hence is not being used. Get a full thorough check up .

Most of these without number plates are repainted/scrap/auctioned cars after an accident... To find a well maintained old car is like getting a good wife !( Just joke, nothing else please)

• Like (+1) 2