•  
Advertise here

Drive In CInemas - Car idle with AC on for almost 2 hrs?

Shamil

A drive in cinema experience can be wonderful, when the weather is favorable. I remember visiting rex drive in cinemas in mirdif back in the day as a teenager and it was a great experience as people would rarely sit in their cars during the movie. The car park area was grassy so people would usually have a picnic setup right next to their cars whilst watching the movie on the giant screen. This was enjoyable provided the weather was nice and pleasant at least, if not cold. I remember people rarely used to visit during the summers for obvious reasons.

But with the recent announcement of drive in cinemas making a come back in the UAE, one would be expected to turn up the air conditioning in the car during the summer months which is right about now. I am not sure how stressful would it be on the car to keep it idle and running for almost 2 hours with air conditioning on. I am sure newer cars can handle it and not have much of an issue but what about older cars that are over 10 years old? I wonder if there would be any negative/side effects of extended idling on such older cars?

e63bb70c-15da-47f0-bee2-74ad0452ebb7.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Great question Shamil, 

I think the biggest concern would be carbon monoxide poisoning for the passengers and anyone around the car if the engine is idling for 2 hours.

For sure, I would not want to be the people walking round serving the food and drinks with 200 cars burning fuel not going anywhere - and the likelihood is you will not want to sit with the windows open because all the other cars are sitting there with their engines running and it's gonna make a terrible racket.

Outdoor cinemas are for the winter here in Dubai in my view ... but until we can go inside again, it might be all there is.  Having said that, once they open, every show will be like VIP because noone can sit anywhere near you!

• Like (+1) 2

Both of you are right and both of your concern has been addressed very well in the above picture (if its real).

@Shamil cars ideally shouldn't overheat at idle for long hours, but of course they do take a lot stress by running idle with AC on. If car engine cooling system is less than perfect then surely car will overheat. But again chances of getting overheat is extremely high during day time than in the evening, when temperature is less.

Secondly if cars are parked too close to each other then they breath in hot air (just like in stop and go traffic) and have higher chances to overheat. But as per above picture they have maintained the good social distancing in between cars to have fresh air circulating to prevent any overheating of car engine.

@Wrangeld as most of UAE cars are well maintained due to annual test which fails vehicle with high HC count, and they are parked in open air, and parked with a big gap, so chances of anyone feeling the CO is next to none. You feel more burning eyes in malls parking during traffic jam as they are closed and they use fan exhaust system to remove the CO from the basement atmosphere.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

22 minutes ago, Barry said:

If the standard indoor cinema experience in Dubai is anything to go by, I can’t see this concept working. You’re going to get a lot of idiots in  straight piped patrols and land cruisers revving their engines every time they get excited and a lot of idiots in Sunnys and lancers blowing their horn every 2 minutes. 

SPOT ON

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

39 minutes ago, Barry said:

If the standard indoor cinema experience in Dubai is anything to go by, I can’t see this concept working. You’re going to get a lot of idiots in  straight piped patrols and land cruisers revving their engines every time they get excited and a lot of idiots in Sunnys and lancers blowing their horn every 2 minutes. 

Clearly you haven’t been to the movies in India

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Old school proper drive in theaters offered designated parking spots as well as a big flexible hole like ducting pipe that you could stick in your window and it would vent cool air through it. 

This version of drive in is totally useless. The screen sucks and 180dhs plus your fuel for two hours of idling andd letting carbon build up in your engine is totally worthless to me. 

I rather watch a Blu Ray at home

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

So far as I read and understood, the cars had to shut off the engine at the MOE drive in, advertised as, it’s on the roof of the parking, with the windows open you can catch the summerbreeze....

No thanks, I’ll wait till they open the cinemas again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

I am wondering how much they charge?

If there is a different price as compared to the normal saloon versus an SUV or 4x4?

How many people allowed in a car?

Besides the first 2 people in the car, none of the rear seat passengers will enjoy the movie anyways.

If engine switched off and there is some window left open from Ski Dubai for some coll air, but I heard you have to tune in your car to FM Radio for the audio, for one you will loose your car battery with 2 hours FM radio and car switched off. Do they have cable boosters to get you started if your battery fails? Secondly, you better have a good car audio to enjoy the movie.

Another thought that comes to mind is buildings close by can tune in to FM radio at home and enjoy the movie for free.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use