•  
Advertise here

Fix Nissan Patrol Y62 bumper or buy a used Jeep wrangler?

Thank you @Srikumar for leading this drive and thank you @Emmanuel for pulling my Patrol when it got stuck at the tip of triangle dune 😁 .

I think this drive is above Newbie, since some people also got stuck at the tip like I did and there was a lot of slide sloping more than Sweihan last time. 

Also my rear bumper is coming off, so my CFO (a.k.a wife) demanded i fix this first before the next drive. Now i'm torn either to remove it completely so i don't have to deal with bumpers everytime (since the drives get more advanced & challenging) or start looking for second-hand Jeeps 😂

thanks everyone who joined the drive, felt the camaraderie after a bit of hiatus 😊

42AE2B36-0184-4CC6-880A-BF03D3449BD4.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Truly depends on what you want in a long run.

Option 1: If this damage is just one-off mistake and damaged just bracket clips, then get it fixed and continue using your Y62.

Option 2: Switch to proper offroader, be it Wrangler, FJC, Xterra, Patrol Y61 etc. if you plan to scale up this off-road hobby above fewbie level in the future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Have a look at this thread for some bumper ideas.

The Y62 400 has incredible naturally aspirated power and torque wrapped in luxury which makes the offroad drives very enjoyable. But the approach and take off angles in stock form are not ideal for offroading. Many of the Australian offroaders put on metal bumpers, which may or may not be legal here in the UAE (it's up for debate) . I changed my front bumper to a fiberglass shortie with a bash plate which (I hope) has fixed the approach angle. But I keep damaging the rear diffuser, and so I'm still searching for a rear bumper which looks good and performs well (both are important!). 

1194409367_ScreenShot2020-03-09at20_38_04.jpg.4a1fd088bc599ed9a7c52c6aca4a24bd.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

Leave that beautiful 2019 Patrol at home, at get yourself a designated offroader if you plan to take this further. It would make you more comfortable knowing that you are driving a 4x4 that can take a beating and a cracked bumper. 

Don't get me wrong, the Patrol is a fantastic vehicle, but i think it's a shame taking it to the desert and being upset when damages occur. Unless you go for full modifications to make if offroad-ready, but in my opinion it will drop the resale value as no-one will buy a Patrol with offroad bumpers (or you need to put back the stock ones when selling). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks @Gaurav and @Frederic , Fred's remark on resale value hits the spot right there on the heart... so now i'm leaning on getting a 2nd car for off-road purpose. Question for @Gaurav : why is XTerra better than Patrol for offroad? I mean both are Nissan... example if I look at this ad https://tnydu.biz/DOy9Ol  for a 47K XTerra, will I have bumper issues like Y62 too? Or at least that can be used as baseline for further modifications...

• Like (+1) 2

What I have realised within spending a tad less than 2000, you will have to put in more money and then the patrol y62 will be off road ready or rather desert ready..patrols used in Australia which really look rugged are mostly driven offroad in mud or mountains.  All those mods need atleast 15k + or more, this after I checked with an advisor from on track 4×4 based out of Australia. He was ready to ship all at a cost which was very dear. Weather all these will make it desert - not sure. Exclusive desert drives need a lighter and a peppier car. ( in terms of weight and power).

We all at our family absolutely love the comfort of patrol.  But the same did not hold true on sand unfortunately,  especially after doing a few "fewbie" drives. May be if still pushed it will pull through, but at a very high probability of risking so many things which will be very expensive to repair. Even with modified bumpers I dont feel I will scrape it, but I am pushing probably a 150k+ worth car to its limit effectively reducing longevity and resale value.

That's when I decided (after long chats with experienced seniors here - thanks for their advise ) i will spend less and keep a desert drive car for less than 15 k. You will have to really keep a watch , move around maintaining the covid precautions and check each cheap 4×4 meticulously.  Hopefully sooner or later you will find one which will suit all needs including the budget. You have to keep in mind the insurance, registration, service charges to get it off road ready( about 2 to 3 k atleast).

I have my original bumpers which I will put back on my y62 (top spec) and use it as a family car . While I will just play safely with the desert car without worries and hopefully get better at it. 

All opinions are with inputs from experienced people here , internet and other off road drivers  . I hope to find a good one soon .

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

More than anything else, driving offroad in the desert like we do, requires a few things:

1) A good power / weight ratio: (Hp per Ton). @Gauravhas written extensively about this in the past. 

2) A car that's reliable and can take on the extreme heat. Japanese 4x4's are the winners here.

3) A car that's affordable to fix and maintain, because you will be demanding extreme things from it.

4) A car that is not full of electronics or tries to take over the wheel and decide where or how you should drive.

5) FUN factor. There is no denying that a TJ will be more fun than an Armada. 

Taking above things into account, this means you would be looking at an "older" generation  vehicle that's not too heavy, has a capable engine/power, is not choked with electronics, and is reliable and fun to drive. That's where Xterra, Wrangler, Pathfinder, XJ, Pajero SWB, and some others comes into play.

The Patrol Safaris are of course legendary, but try to find one that is not completely bashed or broken by locals, or not with 500,000 miles on the clock, or is affordable... Good luck. In stock version they are even not that special in my opinion.

Xterras can be found with relative low mileage and used as mall crawlers / family haulers. That makes them perfect to buy as they still have a whole life ahead of them.

If we talk about buying a 10k offroader, do not be mistaken that this vehicle will be immediately ready for dunebashing. You will need to get it properly serviced, and make sure the  stock suspension is still in decent condition. Bushings etc... also to consider and check. So take into account another 3-4kAED to get it ready for an exciting season with Carnity :) 

PS Above reasoning does not apply for "overlanding", where many would choose a big 4x4 so they can take their dogs, camping stuff, etc... It's not based on speed or sidesloping, but more on navigation and comfortably crossing long distances in the desert. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Another option would be a product called Quik Latch mini. You can clip the bumpers on and off in a a few seconds as required. 

5377C8AB-24BA-4037-A7B9-12FE5324C77C.jpeg.cfdcf388261f11c5e952f66f1a6e3d83.jpeg2F87AAED-7830-4D6C-B918-FC0795174BB5.jpeg.b6157d8c056bf3cda1002f9d9edcba7a.jpeg

other options are available such as JDM style quick release clips but they don’t look as nice 

F4706DAA-8FD6-4F6B-89BE-AB0D9CCC3841.jpeg.287c8937aae76f60c71baab73234d214.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Salarios said:

Have a look at this thread for some bumper ideas.

The Y62 400 has incredible naturally aspirated power and torque wrapped in luxury which makes the offroad drives very enjoyable. But the approach and take off angles in stock form are not ideal for offroading. Many of the Australian offroaders put on metal bumpers, which may or may not be legal here in the UAE (it's up for debate) . I changed my front bumper to a fiberglass shortie with a bash plate which (I hope) has fixed the approach angle. But I keep damaging the rear diffuser, and so I'm still searching for a rear bumper which looks good and performs well (both are important!). 

1194409367_ScreenShot2020-03-09at20_38_04.jpg.4a1fd088bc599ed9a7c52c6aca4a24bd.jpg

@Salarios May be you can try this for the rear, it worked for me .No scraping at all , but I haven't pushed it really hard. I did once and the rear bumper came off,( not broken can be refixed) which I will never do. But again at own risk as the shape is a bit of take it or leave it! 

Patrol_rear_bumper_LI.jpg

• Like (+1) 2