•  
Advertise here

Fix Nissan Patrol Y62 bumper or buy a used Jeep wrangler?

As an old Jeep driver i`ll tell you why i am driving one. In my off road experience i witnessed some wild situations. I know our marshals will say i am making people afraid but thats my experience. There is good chance while dune bashing you may flip your car, you may hit another car, you may fly over the dune with your car. I even saw while trying to tow other car you may brake your car`s chassis. All of these things are what i experienced over last few years. I personally flied over a dune and smashed the front of my Jeep. In such case my car is worth nothing to me, when you compare the car value over my income it is nothing. Today if i total my Jeep tomorrow i will go buy another one, simple.

Think like this how would you feel if someone T boned your Patrol while off roading or how would you feel if you fly over a dune a smash the from end. There you will find your answer. People might say old cars need lots of maintenance, indeed they need lots of maintenance. Also when you calculate the depreciation of new car will cost more than a maintaining an old car. Basically my Jeep wont lose more value than it already lost. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

As a TJ owner I can tell you it's not comfortable like a patrol or xterra but it is capable in the sand and I NEVER worry about it getting a bit beaten about. Prerfable that it is not, but not the end of the world if something breaks. 

As you move from newbie to Fewbie you cannot be worried about what ,might happen to your precious metal. If you climb the ladder further, it's not going to be easier on your car. You need to be focused on the driving and not if the back bumper is still in place.

Your daily drive will lose value by you using it in the desert. Your weekend warrior probably gains value, because anyone buying it from you wants to know it is sand trained. 

I look at it this way.  I do not think you would encourage your wife to wear her Jimmy Choos in the desert. But taking your massively expensive car ... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

39 minutes ago, sertac said:

I know our marshals will say i am making people afraid but thats my experience.

Then either you still don't know the Marshals fully or the Carnity.

Rahimdad (founder) was the one to make what went wrong thread 2 years back to educate offroaders and not to scare them.

42 minutes ago, sertac said:

Think like this how would you feel if someone T boned your Patrol while off roading or how would you feel if you fly over a dune a smash the from end.

You have comprehensive insurance with off-road cover for such accidents.

44 minutes ago, sertac said:

There is good chance while dune bashing you may flip your car, you may hit another car, you may fly over the dune with your car. I even saw while trying to tow other car you may brake your car`s chassis. All of these things are what i experienced over last few years. I personally flied over a dune and smashed the front of my Jeep.

That's how you learn, isn't. And now you've sober down with Grand Cherokee + Mercedes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi @sertac man why you gotta bring that up?😁 Now i just had a seizure of flashback where my Pajero went flying (this is why my feet usually brake automatically on the tip of dune pyramid, to prevent flying again) and hit the back of Nissan Armada v8. I think that Armada went for total loss and I felt so bad 😢

Flash-forward now, yeah I want to avoid to be in that same situation. Cheaper car, yes definitely to avoid total loss where insurance gives you puny amount of cash, but at the same time Strong Metal to protect your head for when that flying thing lands on your car *knock on wood

Speaking of Jeep, should I be worried after looking at this:
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2020

• Like (+1) 1

@Zed I would be worried looking at that. Why would you like to drive into a wall after buying a brand new Jeep. The only thing I feel comfortable with is the dummy who drove the Jeep into the wall was safe and the cabin did not deform, the airbags went off at the right time which means the dummy only lost some paint on the airbag.

• Haha (+1) 2

An off road toy is if it's explodes tomorrow and burns down to it's chassis, you can still walk away from it without a very big hole in your wallet. 

But if you can afford to bash around in a 200k car without much of us poor folk type of concerns like expensive repairs, depreciation, screwing up your only pride and joy then go for it by all means..

For the OG poster off you can afford it and love the Patrol leave this one for the family and buy yourself another dedicated used patrol just for off road fun. Since this generation has been around for 12 years now I've seen early ones go for 50-60k also. 

Although personally I would go for the earlier generation as they are not so much of a plastic pig and almost desert ready out of the box and cheaper too.

But then again not as roomy or comfy as the current gen

7 hours ago, sertac said:

As an old Jeep driver

Well that just disqualifies you right there and then! 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, desertdude said:

An off road toy is if it's explodes tomorrow and burns down to it's chassis, you can still walk away from it without a very big hole in your wallet. 

But if you can afford to bash around in a 200k car without much of us poor folk type of concerns like expensive repairs, depreciation, screwing up your only pride and joy then go for it by all means..

+1

• Like (+1) 1

I'm fascinated by Jeeps ever since I follow @TheOffRoadClub on TikTok, below amazing vids:

Is Rubicon worth it? That Sway bay disconnect button seems useful 😄

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry @Zed with such a looooooooong travel suspension even Toyota Corolla can do this.

There is nothing to do with Jeep, Patrol, LC band wagon dance here. They are often used as a shell. Period.

Last week we spotted wrangler climbing insane behind fossil rock and when same climb @Colin Jordan tried he could make 20-25% hardly. Because previous wrangler must be running LS engine (corvette) with twin turbos to defy gravity and physics so effortlessly.

And he must have spend twice the cost of the shell wrangler to build such extreme modified climber.

What you is NOT what you get here (WYSIWYG).

image.png

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1