•  
Advertise here

Off Road Car Decision Jeep 2006TJ or 2008 JK

@Janarthan and @RohanH you will end up paying more money with dubizzle which you can get it done from an ordinary mechanic.All the running costs of a bigger franchise are included in what is being charged to you.

Considering that you are buying a pretty old car without worrying much about the interiors /paint/ luxury inside, every penny saved is worth it. You can as well use the same money saved to get it thoroughly serviced / for parts.

You need a good advise regarding the mechanicals which any other garage/mechanic will do for a much cheaper price. Some garage even deduct that money if you get the car  serviced from them once you buy it. 

Personally once you start inspecting the cars on your own, you will also learn a lot if new things which will make you have a better knowledge to do some things in future on your own. 

If you are worried about the current covid precautions and not willing to take risk ,then yes you can go ahead with dubizzle assisted buying or report as there is someone else doing it for you. But if you adhere to proper precautions,  then it is still possible to do it yourself

Good luck and stay safe

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

TJ All the way! The 2007-2011 JK's have a really bad engine and struggle for power. 

With a TJ you have an AMC Straight 6 engine which are known to be almost bulletproof and are very cheap to maintain and modify if needed. Yes, if you want something to drive daily also then the rattling in the TJ will be annoying, but its the perfect desert toy!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

2 hours ago, Janarthan said:

Dear All,

After searching for almost 15 days, I didn’t find a good pathfinder but found a 2009 xterra but driven 370k. As per the inspection I could see the body and everything is good except the steering pump. 

your view on this car and problem it has.

Cheers,

Jana

In sharjah I have seen many people using old pathfinders specially I have seen in industrial area.

I think,  Sharjah used cars market could be a good place to see such old pathfinders. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Janarthan said:

The car is running on its second engine , I did a test drive and it’s very smooth and did checked with help of a mechanic. Basically the run on the new engine is not more than 100k . Shifting and 2w , 4h and 4l engaging is fine. 

If you are really looking into a pathfinder search for 2004/2005 as they have bulletproof ECM and Maf sensor for gcc models. Go for a really good one even if the price seems high.Scrap pathfinder engine costs 800-1000 maximum. If u have manual i would suggest getting a manual one.
Note:- i would suggest build an engine/transmission(manual) so you are tension free (if u intent to abuse your toy n desert).

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

17 hours ago, Jas Gajaria said:

TJ All the way! The 2007-2011 JK's have a really bad engine and struggle for power. 

With a TJ you have an AMC Straight 6 engine which are known to be almost bulletproof and are very cheap to maintain and modify if needed. Yes, if you want something to drive daily also then the rattling in the TJ will be annoying, but its the perfect desert toy!

Yes, I concur. Noisy, rattly, sounds like the car is exploding every time you come off a dune, but bullet proof engine (as long as you don't mind a bit of jeep 'overheating'. 

There are still reasonably priced TJs available. You're not buying one for the interior/interior space but for the fact it was designed to do this stuff. Who needs creature comforts out in the desert like airco and electric windows? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Parts are available for both TJs and JKs, as Fuad said a 2004 or 2005 model in Pathfinder will be amazing. I would not recommend something where the engine has already changed. Sure its only done a 100k Kms after the change, but can you verify how much it had done before the change, it is not a brand new engine. Plus you do not know what type of job was carried out during replacing the engine. I would not buy someone elses headache and I will not be in a hurry. Dr @Chaitanya D was lucky to get a 2008 model X-Terra with less than 200k on the clock for a very good price. Keep your eyes open and don't feel like there is nothing around, surely something better will come along at a price which will be more acceptable to you. Check for something above your budget and try to bargain, UAE is a bargain market, don't be scared to try out the vehicle and if you like it offer a slightly lower price you can afford. That way you will have some space for bargaining up to the price you want to pay. If you really like the vehicle than don't be afraid to go a little over your budget as long as it satisfies you. Don't be afraid to walk away if you feel it is not worth it, you will be sure to find more.

Tragedy in my life is whenever I have made the best deal possible and buy a car at what i think is a fair value, I see an ad placed for something similar at a lower price. All i can do is kick myself for having such bad luck. I bought my LR Disco 1998 model for AED 7500/- only after 2 days I saw one going for AED 6k pointed out by @desertdude, the Red one with the steel bumpers. I bought my Pathy for 10k and found one advertised within the same week for 8K. Although the difference is not much, but it is just my luck to get the short end of the stick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

Parts are available for both TJs and JKs, as Fuad said a 2004 or 2005 model in Pathfinder will be amazing. I would not recommend something where the engine has already changed. Sure its only done a 100k Kms after the change, but can you verify how much it had done before the change, it is not a brand new engine. Plus you do not know what type of job was carried out during replacing the engine. I would not buy someone elses headache and I will not be in a hurry. Dr @Chaitanya D was lucky to get a 2008 model X-Terra with less than 200k on the clock for a very good price. Keep your eyes open and don't feel like there is nothing around, surely something better will come along at a price which will be more acceptable to you. Check for something above your budget and try to bargain, UAE is a bargain market, don't be scared to try out the vehicle and if you like it offer a slightly lower price you can afford. That way you will have some space for bargaining up to the price you want to pay. If you really like the vehicle than don't be afraid to go a little over your budget as long as it satisfies you. Don't be afraid to walk away if you feel it is not worth it, you will be sure to find more.

Tragedy in my life is whenever I have made the best deal possible and buy a car at what i think is a fair value, I see an ad placed for something similar at a lower price. All i can do is kick myself for having such bad luck. I bought my LR Disco 1998 model for AED 7500/- only after 2 days I saw one going for AED 6k pointed out by @desertdude, the Red one with the steel bumpers. I bought my Pathy for 10k and found one advertised within the same week for 8K. Although the difference is not much, but it is just my luck to get the short end of the stick.

That's SODs law but then have faith in the man upstairs. Before I bought my current L322 Range Rover. I had known two since they were bought. Single owners and knew both of them. Clean as whistles, always parked in shade and no expense spared to maintain them with all original LR parts .

When I was able to buy one these are the first two cars I approached. One guy said he will never sell it and he has passed it on to his daughter to now and she will not drive anything else and the other guy had a somewhat similar response.

So then I started to look outside. And found what was at the time the cheapest L322 Range River in the UAE ( aka hoovie style ) 

And exactly two weeks after I bought mine the first guy who was never going to sell it for it touch said he wanted to sell it now!!!!!

I was like WTF anyways not wanting to let a good car and deal escape I made a friend buy it who was after seeing mine wanted one too. 

Then two weeks after that the second guy got in touch and said he wanted to sell it now and I was like double WTF!!!!

So once again not wanting to let a good deal and good car go my friends brother in law bought it who also wanted to buy one now after seeing my friends.

So now there are three same year L322 Range Rovers among us.

But to be honest I have spent way way way less on mine then those two have on their two in the three years we have owned them .they have had some major issues with theirs Although compared to them even today mine looks more rattier inside and out. 

So as the saying goes. Careful what you wish for or you just might get it.

Fortunately in this case my wishes didn't come true

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

thanks @Rahimdad @desertdude @RohanH @Chaitanya D @Fuad @Jas Gajaria . really appreciate your advice, it did make a difference while buying the car. I am still negotiating for that xterra which did 350K to bargain and get it little cheaper. May i know how much should i offer for this car. its 2009 S model and clean body . Well said that , i am not going a head with the buy still looking for options. 

• Like (+1) 2