•  
Advertise here

Off Road Car Decision Jeep 2006TJ or 2008 JK

Jeep's are jeep and there is no second doubt that they will eventually break and have their own set of reliability issues whichever year you go to.

With my little knowledge of Jeep, as i'm not a jeeper JK make more sense because of immense power gain and marginal better approach and departure angle plus newer engineering is always efficient.

These all three are super important aspect for offroading.

TJ - 190 hp vs JK - 285 hp.

Btw, just to be clear what type offroading you are into or planning to get into?

• Sand (desert driving)
  • Rocks (mountain climbing or rock crawling)
  • Both of the above
  • Just tarmac
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Jeep's are jeep and there is no second doubt that they will eventually break and have their own set of reliability issues whichever year you go to.

With my little knowledge of Jeep, as i'm not a jeeper JK make more sense because of immense power gain and marginal better approach and departure angle plus newer engineering is always efficient.

These all three are super important aspect for offroading.

TJ - 190 hp vs JK - 285 hp.

Btw, just to be clear what type offroading you are into or planning to get into?

• Sand (desert driving)
  • Rocks (mountain climbing or rock crawling)
  • Both of the above
  • Just tarmac

2008 JK will have the 3.8 Engine with 200 Hp, which is not bad, but not be mistaken with the Pentastar 3.6 with 280 Hp that came out a few years later. From what i've read, the 3.8 was a bit of an inbetween engine, as they came from the legendary 4.0 inline six from the TJ, and later developed the Pentastar with superior power.

We used to have Aamir in our club that drove a 2011 JK with this engine, with manual gearbox. Was a very nice 4x4. Probably the 3.8 JK will go cheaper than the Pentastar models.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

For a Wrangler best engine is 3.6 than 4.0 than the last is 3.8. So engine wise i would blindly go for a TJ. But if you going to use this car as daily also, you may prefer JK which is much comfortable than a TJ. But if it is going to be only weekend fun car 4.0 TJ will give you a smile. If you can afford  2012 above model which comes with a 3.6 than i will say go for it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I was tempted to say go for that one.

On a serious note can you please share more details. Whether they are stock or have any mods on them, are they automatic or manual and how many kilometres on them. Have you test driven either one, what si the asking price for these. Most importantly which colour they are. We all know that depending on the colour of the vehicle you can get extra power locked in.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Already a lot has been covered by some expert. My opionin is that out of the two go with the 2006 TJ, as the power to weight ratio is better than the 2008 JK (3.8 engine). Having said that I have heard that post 2004 the TJ's changed from 4 speed to 5 speed automatic, which kinda ruined the 1st gear's ratio. This makes a difference when doing some long hill climbs or massive sideys.

Also, a good condition pre 2004 TJ is almost at the same level, if not the same, as a stock 3.6 pentastar JK purely because the TJ is a much lighter car than the new JKs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Srikumar it was a 5 speed manual till 2004, they changed it to 6 speed manual from 2005 onwards, but that is only for manual, if auto than its probably the same. Plus 1999 - 2004 they came with Dana 44 axles which were amazing and bullet proof as is the 4.0 engine. But i have driven a a stock 3.8 Unlimited fully loaded Jeep Wrangler up Iftar Bowl. Later on i noticed that it had already done 200k kilometres, so I really like the 3.8 litre version also.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

But i have driven a a stock 3.8 Unlimited fully loaded Jeep Wrangler up Iftar Bowl.

You missed the most imp part: From the left, right or center.......?

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.