•  
Advertise here

Off Road Car Decision Jeep 2006TJ or 2008 JK

Never buy the first years of any new generation of any vehicle. Because they are all bogged down with unforseen bugs and niggles. Very few manufacturers seem to get this right. 

Better to always last couple of years of the generation because by the end of the run almost everything has been sorted out and will give you the least amount of issues.

Not always the case but a general rule of thumb.

So in this case the TJ is the end of line for that generation and almost free from most squibbles and the JK is just the start of the JK generation.

Another advantage is ( and again not always the case ) by the end of one generation in order to move as many old units out of the way before the new one arrives, almost all optional bells and whistles usually become standard spec on the last year or two.

Going back to the OP a TJ would be preferable with the inline 4.0 with proven reliability over the stop gap V6 of the early JK 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 5/20/2020 at 1:33 PM, Gaurav said:

Jeep's are jeep and there is no second doubt that they will eventually break and have their own set of reliability issues whichever year you go to.

With my little knowledge of Jeep, as i'm not a jeeper JK make more sense because of immense power gain and marginal better approach and departure angle plus newer engineering is always efficient.

These all three are super important aspect for offroading.

TJ - 190 hp vs JK - 285 hp.

Btw, just to be clear what type offroading you are into or planning to get into?

• Sand (desert driving)
  • Rocks (mountain climbing or rock crawling)
  • Both of the above
  • Just tarmac

Hi Gaurav, 

It would be for desert driving only for now. 

Thanks,

Jana

On 5/20/2020 at 2:28 PM, Rahimdad said:

I was tempted to say go for that one.

On a serious note can you please share more details. Whether they are stock or have any mods on them, are they automatic or manual and how many kilometres on them. Have you test driven either one, what si the asking price for these. Most importantly which colour they are. We all know that depending on the colour of the vehicle you can get extra power locked in.

Hello Rahim,

I havn't done any test drive but its from the off road zone. They are stock and in good condition comes with 3 months warranty and 1 year service package , 2006  TJ done close to 170K and asking price is around 28K. 

Still surprised on the color!!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think @Javier M bought his Jeep from offroad zone. So Javier do you recommend there warranty, does it means something to overprice by 40%? 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

You should pick the JK for a number of reasons. 

Jks will not suffer as much heating as TJs. 

Automatic transmission in TJs will give up at one point if it's not a certain transmission number (I can't remember the transmission number)

Hopefully it is the 3.6 JK not the 3.8. 

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

I think @Javier M bought his Jeep from offroad zone. So Javier do you recommend there warranty, does it means something to overprice by 40%? 

I didn't buy my Jeep there I just do the maintenance. They only use Mopar original parts hence maintenance price can be higher than other shops but I have peace of mind it won't break down on me in the desert. I've never had an issue with maintenance. They guys there know in and out jeeps.

• Like (+1) 1

2003 Pathfinder is a very good choice. Go for 3.5 that is more capable than 3.3 as you intend to use it in sand, so the more power is highly recommended.

@Fuad I think has 3.5, please comment on pricing if you think this 9K for 140k driven seems fine.

As per 17 years old age 140k is quiet a low mileage (if its real and not reversed). Check it properly.

Go thru these bunch of car buying advices to search, inspect and buy used cars.

https://carnity.com/advice/car-buying/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

2003 Pathfinder is a very good choice. Go for 3.5 that is more capable than 3.3 as you intend to use it in sand, so the more power is highly recommended.

@Fuad I think has 3.5, please comment on pricing if you think this 9K for 140k driven seems fine.

As per 17 years old age 140k is quiet a low mileage (if its real and not reversed). Check it properly.

Go thru these bunch of car buying advices to search, inspect and buy used cars.

https://carnity.com/advice/car-buying/

I spoke to couple of sellers and planning to test drive tomorrow and saturday. I will keep you posted on how did it go. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Janarthan said:

I spoke to couple of sellers and planning to test drive tomorrow and saturday. I will keep you posted on how did it go. 

Good luck, be safe due to Covid, inspect every car visually first from a distance and then only test drive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Janarthan if really only 140k driven than 9k seems fair price, but remember it is 17 years old car and requires so.e maintenance so try to bargain and bring down the price close to 6 or 7 k after you like it. Any amount saved is extra cash in your pocket for repairs and mods.

Just now, Rahimdad said:

@Janarthan if really only 140k driven than 9k seems fair price, but remember it is 17 years old car and requires so.e maintenance so try to bargain and bring down the price close to 6 or 7 k after you like it. Any amount saved is extra cash in your pocket for repairs and mods.

Thats Right Rahmin, will definitely try to negotiate. 

• Like (+1) 1