•  
Advertise here

Pajero transfer case shifter stuck in neutral - Solution

Transfer case shifting from LO to HI without stopping happened today and transfer case got stuck in neutral.

Here are the steps needed to bring back Hi/Lo selector back in its place.

Mitsubishi issued the TSB back in 2001 for the same.

MITSUBISHI MOTORS
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SUBJECT: No: TSB-01 -23-002
TRANSFER LEVER STUCK IN 4H DATE: February 2001

• On 4-wheel-drive models, shifting from 4L to 4H should only be done with the vehicle stopped and the transmission in Neutral. If the driver forces the transfer lever from 4L to 4H while the vehicle is moving, the lever may become stuck in 4H.
  • If the transfer lever goes from the H-L shift fork to the 2-4WD shift fork while the vehicle is moving, the clutch sleeve is forced to return to the low speed gear when it hits the chamfer of the input gear. As a result, the lever is in 4H, but the gear is engaged in 4L.
  • This bulletin describes how to adjust the transfer shift forks to eliminate this condition.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
1997-2001 Montero Sport models equipped with 4-wheel-drive

FILE UNDER: Group 23 Automatic Transmission in the Dealer Service Information Binder (2239)

This bulletin supercedes TSB- 00-23-004, issued May, 2000, to correct affected vehicles, shift lever bolt identification, and shift fork positioning Corrections are indicated by ‘b."

• BOOT
  • TRANSFER LEVER
  • TRANSFER SHIFT LEVER
  • TRANSFER LEVER BRACKET

TSB-01 -23-002

PROCEDURE

1. Remove the transfer lever shift knob.
  2. Remove the center console.
  3. Remove the transfer lever bracket (6 bolts).
  4. Lift the boot up and remove the shill lever (4 bolts). Disconnect the vent line from the shift boot.
  5. Check the location of the H-L shift fork. If it is not in the H position, use a brass punch to push the shift fork toward the front of the vehicle.
  6. Check the location of the 2-4WD shift fork. If it is not in 2WD, use a brass punch to push the shift fork toward the front of the vehicle.
  7. If necessary, adjust the return spring so it can be set with the 2-4WD shift fork.
    • IMPORTANT: Do not place the return spring in the gap between the H-L shift fork and the 2-4WD shift fork.
  8. Remove the old sealant adhesive from the transfer lever and housing contact surfaces.
  9. Apply Mitsubishi Silicone Gasket Sealant TSB1 215 (p/n A99OZC1 X02) or equivalent to the transfer lever and housing contact surfaces.
  10. Place the end of the transfer lever in the 2-4WD shift fork and reinstall the lever into the housing. Set the return spring.
  11. Confirm that the transfer lever can be moved smoothly.
  12. Tighten the bolts securing the lever to 15-22 Nm (11-16 ft/lbs).
  13. Reinstall the transfer lever boot bracket.
  14. Reinstall the center console.
  15. Reinstall the transfer lever shift knob.
  16. Advise the owner of proper transfer lever operation: Shift from 4L to 4H only with the vehicle stopped and the transmission in Neutral.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Transfer Shift Fork Adjustment
Nature Code: 99D Cause Code: 990
Labor Operation No. 23111090

Time Allowance: 0.8 hr.
Warranty Coverage: 36 months/36000 miles.
Special Warranty Information: Includes transfer shift lever removal and reinstallation.
Normal warranty procedures apply.
Copyright 2001
Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc.
All rights reserved.

2009-12-04_030116_tcase1.gif

2009-12-04_030145_tcase2.jpg

2009-12-04_030213_tcase3.jpg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Fantastic write-up and very helpful in case it ever happens to me 😅

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 minute ago, Barry said:

@Gaurav didn’t this happen to you before also? I remember reading an article about a plastic bush that fails on the linkage that causes this.

Yes it did, and it wasn't a plastic bush, it was a metal nut fallen into the gear oil. Luckily nothing happen.

Yesterday it happened again and transfer case went to neutral, as I pulled from LO to Hi without looking down as I was under the impression that I'm in HI and wanted to shift to 2WD from 4WD, without stopping (which is normal). 

I hope Mitsubishi sorted this in newer Pajero by installing some fail safe mechanism to prevent driver making such horrible mistakes.

8 hours ago, Frederic said:

Fantastic write-up and very helpful in case it ever happens to me 😅

Never ever switch to Hi - Lo or vice versa without stopping.

2WD - 4WD and even 4HLC you can do without stopping, with just drive gear in neutral.

• Like (+1) 2

very informative, once i do this mistake in one of the drive, i shifted the gear from 4H to 4LLc with out changing the gear to neutral and the gear did not engage 4LLc  in dash board i could see the light was just blinking. 

some time what i did is while the car is moving i shifted to neutral and change the gear 2WD to 4WD and 4HLC. I don't know is it any harmful to the gear box. Mine is 2015 model Pajero.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Shiju Manuel said:

very informative, once i do this mistake in one of the drive, i shifted the gear from 4H to 4LLc with out changing the gear to neutral and the gear did not engage 4LLc  in dash board i could see the light was just blinking. 

That means Mitsubishi have done some fail safe in new Pajero's.

Please dont do that gain. Always stop before you shift from LO-HI and vice versa, also make sure you are in Neutral gear and not in D or Parking.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Yes it did, and it wasn't a plastic bush, it was a metal nut fallen into the gear oil. Luckily nothing happen.

How does a metal nut just fall into the gear oil?

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

That means Mitsubishi have done some fail safe in new Pajero's.

The difference between a mechanical 4x4 shifting (Gen 2) vs the electronic 4x4 shifting (Gen 3) onwards. The computers don't allow it to engage unless you have to come to a complete halt and are in Neutral.

In my XJ which is also a mechanical shift, the 4x4 doesn't allow under normal pressure to go-to 4Lo when the car is in motion or in gear.

I think overall it would be a good or safe practice to always shift the 4x4 transfer case while it's stationary, even if it's from 2wd to 4wd

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

2 hours ago, Barry said:

How does a metal nut just fall into the gear oil?

Has happened to me on my manual Land Cruiser on the washboard gatch tracks of Hatta. The gear was left in 3rd and the lever totally free.

Had to drive all the way from Hatta to Ghusais in 3rd.

Luckily here also it just fell to the bottom and did not grind in any of the gears. Had to fish it out with a long magnet.

• Like (+1) 3