•  
Advertise here

Flag Mounts

Jefy

Hereby I want to open a discussion regarding flag mounts.

An off road flag is an essential safety tool for off roading. I see more and more that people are using suction mounts in combination with a relative heavy flag. This combination is sold by off road shops as pair.
A person would think, "well, if a reputable off road shop is selling me this, then this should work, no?" Maybe, but most probably not. Especially not the suction mount in combination with the 2 part flag of AOR. This flag is too heavy for a suction mount.

I forgive you if you are new to this sport and your setup is not working, or your flag is falling down all the time. But from fewbie and above, I can't understand why you don't invest in a good mount. The most expensive garage will charge you 200 AED for a fixed mount. I am sure there are garages doing it for cheaper.

A good setup is not only for your own safety or that of the others, but it gives you also more thinking capacity instead of worrying all the time that your flag will soon or later fall off when you're crossing a ridge. Besides that it is annoying that you have to step out to mount the flag again, it is also holding up the whole convoy.

Please, post your solution, experience, combination of flag and mount. Tell us at which garage you did it, and if possible the price as well.

Edited by Xaf
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

Thing is there is no one size fits all solution here, specially since most SUVs now come without gutter rails which I personally used a long flexible CB radio antenna with a gutter mount clamp base. 

I had success with a double suction handle from dragon Mart ducttaped with a similar antenna. But I didn't it didn't look cool enough to me so stopped using it.

More SUV have roof rails or hidden under plastic tabs locks to mount roof rails so people should be looking for ways to do something with those 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Tero Vallas said:

Well .... this AOR setup with 2 piece flag pole & suction mount is exactly what I bought yesterday... nothing else actually available.

Worthless ??

For some people it works, with others it keeps falling off.

Thats why I started this topic, to share the experience.... 

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Tero Vallas said:

Well .... this AOR setup with 2 piece flag pole & suction mount is exactly what I bought yesterday... nothing else actually available.

Worthless ??

I bought the same 2 piece flag pole from AOR. However I custom made this piece to a metal workshop free of charge. 24mm of widht was wide enough to slide in to roof rail. So I can directly fix the flag pole to this piece... I've tested it for almost 5 drives now. It is working quite well. 

Sorry I don't have a photo of final product right now but if someone needs it just let me know.   

Note: Ignore "Welded" note between nut and steel plate. I've decided that, it's not necessary.

1302598909_WhatsAppImage2020-03-15at18_06_03.jpeg.0af05f28b7dd83c5fd0146d7008b479c.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

15 minutes ago, Denizzalbayrak said:

I bought the same 2 piece flag pole from AOR. However I custom made this piece to a metal workshop free of charge. 24mm of widht was wide enough to slide in to roof rail. So I can directly fix the flag pole to this piece... I've tested it for almost 5 drives now. It is working quite well. 

Sorry I don't have a photo of final product right now but if someone needs it just let me know.   

Note: Ignore "Welded" note between nut and steel plate. I've decided that, it's not necessary.

1302598909_WhatsAppImage2020-03-15at18_06_03.jpeg.0af05f28b7dd83c5fd0146d7008b479c.jpeg

Nice job, which metal work shop?

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Xaf it's good that you brought this up. Hope I'm not the inspiration for you to start this topic 😜. I had tried the above AOR suction cup and the Dragon Mart magnetic base ideas without any success (not to mention a loss of the magnetic base along with the flagpole at the end of a ride). Finally I heard about Marshal Motors garage through @Shamil that can custom make a mount according to the vehicle. Now my AOR flagpole fits there perfectly. It just costed me 100AED and one hour of my time. 

Edited by Tbone
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

8 hours ago, Xaf said:

For some people it works, with others it keeps falling off.

Thats why I started this topic, to share the experience.... 

Thanks for sharing your experiences, these are valuable. Makes me thinking of returning the products and trying something else, which you guys have suggested in this forum. 

I think I begin to focus already now, without driving with flag any single meter, whether flag mount stays on or not. That's for sure wrong point of focus. It just makes you vulnerable to driving mistakes.

8 hours ago, Denizzalbayrak said:

I am driving Prado (2020) without roof rails. Any good ideas to fix the flag to Prado ?

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Tero Vallas said:

I am driving Prado (2020) without roof rails. Any good ideas to fix the flag to Prado ?

There are multiple ways, beautiful solutions and not so, like Desertdude said. 

I am not familiar with the Prado, but you might have an option to mount a flag mount at one of your rear lights when you open your tailgate.

@Kalahari, which setup do you have for your flag? So far as I remember yours never fell off.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Tbone said:

Hi @Xaf it's good that you brought this up. Hope I'm not the inspiration for you to start this topic 😜. I had tried the above AOR suction cup and the Dragon Mart magnetic base ideas without any success (not to mention a loss of the magnetic base along with the flagpole at the end of a ride). Finally I heard about Marshal Motors garage through @Shamil that can custom make a mount according to the vehicle. Now my AOR flagpole fits there perfectly. It just costed me 100AED and one hour of my time. 

@Tero Vallas

I am sure when you visit this garage they will have a solution for you, just bring the lower part of the flag with you, so they know which thread size they have to make the adapter.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2