•  
Advertise here

Overheating Problem

I am going to get crazy.

First of all I do admit that taking car to this workshop was a mistake. However past is past.

An addition to work have been done above (Fan clutch, water pump, thermostate) radiator and AC condenser were cleaned. There were small leakage on a few pipe (Mechanic says after chancing weak points, it moves to another one and in this case it was pipe) so they were replaced.... Mechanic says on the highway test with normal driving it's ok but when you start to push it heats again.

His conclusion is, there might be a tiny leakage in the head gasket. But there is sign of that in the engine oil. He claims that it's minor therefore it doesn't show in the oil.

After all he is charging over 2000aed for a non-repaired car. My question before going there and making a mass is, would his conclusion be possible? 

• Sad (0) 1

I read backwards again and i noticed Fred mentioned bad radiator cap. It is small and cheap to change and something can really effect. In my old Cherokee once i was driving on highway all great steady speed and in a second temp reach to red and come back. Than i pulled over and saw my radiator cap was got out. Than when we inspect we saw the rubber was in horrible condition and we changed it. After that i never faced that issue again. It might be worth to change. It was 55aed or something like that for Jeep. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, sertac said:

I read backwards again and i noticed Fred mentioned bad radiator cap. It is small and cheap to change and something can really effect. In my old Cherokee once i was driving on highway all great steady speed and in a second temp reach to red and come back. Than i pulled over and saw my radiator cap was got out. Than when we inspect we saw the rubber was in horrible condition and we changed it. After that i never faced that issue again. It might be worth to change. It was 55aed or something like that for Jeep. 

Cap was also changed.

• Like (+1) 2

Sorry to hear all about this non sense and spending money with a big question mark and a doubt in the end.

There are ways to identify and troubleshoot almost everything before changing all the parts and going with the assumptions only.

Anyways, first and foremost move the car to other competent garage who know what they are doing.

30 minutes compression test can reveal all 6 cylinders health and also if there is any tiny or big leak in the head gasket. Once that is identified, get the head gasket repaired and back trace the cause of such overheat in the first place, to prevent blowing head gasket again.

P.S. Who ever repair the head gasket, must be able to give you written warranty that you can drive the same car in the desert again because over 90% "SHADY" garages will walk away when you ask them to write anything.

Be careful this time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I’m sorry you’re having problems with shitty mechanics but it seems to be a common problem in UAE. A lot of people have very little technical knowledge and only seem to know jugad they have learned on the job. 

If you believe you have a small head gasket leak, insist on a chemical sniff test. It takes 2 minutes and will confirm if there is combustion gases in the coolant. 

Holes in pipes is easily tested by doing a coolant pressure test. 

In both of these cases, you will notice you’re coolant level going down. Have you noticed this? The level should be checked when the engine is stone cold. 

If you cant get the problem sorted send me a DM and I can have one of my guys look at it for you.

• Like (+1) 4

If you haven't replaced the radiator and have it just cleaned. That's not going to work. Having it cleaned or rodded personally has always been a big waste of time for me..

Like I said if you have changed the water pump. Thermostat and rad cap but you only said cleaned the radiator.

Before throwing money at a head gasket ( without even confirming it ) 

I suggest change the radiator with a new one.

• Like (+1) 5

To be honest car is in the workshop for more than 2 weeks now and coolant is being removed constantly due to part changes. So I'm not sure if the level went down. I will do chemical test. Thanks @Barry for help. Unfortunately I don't have DM option in my subscription. I will take the car from this workshop tomorrow and bring it to yours if it's open tomorrow. 

@desertdude If the headgasket is fine I will change the radiator as well. 

Thank you @Gaurav, @Barry, and @desertdude for your helps.  

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe I missed something, but did this genius mechanic ever take live data on the actual coolant and/or cylinder head temperatures during the test drives? For all you know, you may just have a bad temp gauge. 

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

3 hours ago, treks said:

Maybe I missed something, but did this genius mechanic ever take live data on the actual coolant and/or cylinder head temperatures during the test drives? For all you know, you may just have a bad temp gauge. 

I think it's mentioned in one of the posts that he did.

Having just reread the top post on this page. It states it still has a coolant leak somewhere.

My guess is if there is a still leak. The system is still not pressurized properly, causing an coolant overheat condition.

First job would be fix the leak IMO then replace the radiator

• Like (+1) 2

As far as I've been informed there is no leak anymore (Head gasket issue is still a question mark). Anyway I took the car from that workshop after a huge negotiation and a significant discount. The car is in @Barry's experienced hands now. :) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1