•  

Advise required - Should we have spare car for off roading

RohanH

@RohanH second car all the way. I said it before. You cannot enjoy your drive or even focus on it fully if your time is spent worrying at the same time your car will be damaged and it will destroy your family car. 

It's not a cheap hobby. That's the challenge, but a lot cheaper when your toy is damaged and not your family, daily driver. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Yes, second car for off-roading is preferable, especially when your work/ family depends on it. Like others mentioned before, for 12k you will not be ready due to maintenance/ upgrades whatever.

I would do the other way around. Keep the Pajero for off-roading and buy a second car for daily/ family use. Nice Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well I decided to go for it after constant bashing at home after dune"bashing"... more so because I want to keep the 2nd car for desert and play around without worrying much ( while in the desert and when I return home). 

Budget is always an issue , but try to get the best for the cheapest.  Shortlist few and get them thoroughly checked - especially as Sri mentioned - engine,transmission,gears and chassis... keep few AED (in Ks) aside for the compulsory servicing etc that needs to be done before you bring it to the desert.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Xaf said:

Yes, second car for off-roading is preferable, especially when your work/ family depends on it. Like others mentioned before, for 12k you will not be ready due to maintenance/ upgrades whatever.

I would do the other way around. Keep the Pajero for off-roading and buy a second car for daily/ family use. Nice Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla. 

This is really good option but me and my wife are just in love with existing car and want to keep it for family. Though I have comprehensive insurance from RSA still bit in worry as I can not afford if something goes wrong with this car.

• Like (+1) 4

The way I look at it is, would you take your road car to the autodrome and thrash it every weekend? Maybe once or twice but if it’s going to be a long term hobby, you need a dedicated car so if it gets wrecked, you still have something to drive to work in. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 hour ago, RohanH said:

This is really good option but me and my wife are just in love with existing car and want to keep it for family. Though I have comprehensive insurance from RSA still bit in worry as I can not afford if something goes wrong with this car.

If you like the pajero, may be you can look at the older SWB options which you will get for a good price. Maintenance should not be very steep and since you already drive a Pajero , you would feel more at home.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Hi @RohanH,

I’ve initially decided to make most mods on the gen4 pajero which makes it very nice to drive now, but in hindsight I could have also bought a 3rd car that will do the exact same thing. For me still a bit of a doubt whether I’ll stick to it or in the long run will by a dedicated off-road vehicle... also having 3 cars isn’t very easy to maintain which will take me a lot of time... if you only have 1 car now I guess it makes most sense to buy an extra as you will rely on the car a lot more....

Another option in this price range would be to buy a TJ, which I’ve had the pleasure to drive as well and as an open top it’s amazing to drive through the dunes... although it is and remains a Jeep which need some dirhams to keep them running...

Edited by Mels Wolf
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi Rohan, buy the second car... If possible try to find one which has been modified already! If its been used in the desert its okay as the previous owner has probably spent enough maintaining it. With the added advantage of saving money by getting it already modded. Any which ways, with older cars you will have a few issues so keep 5-7K just on the side to do any maintenance with it. 

I'm sure you will get many different opinions as everyone has a different experience with how they have come to use their cars. Hard truth is that no matter what route you'll end up spending a good chunk of money. 

Having a desert toy means its gonna rattle or make a few noises here and there, which is why always keep a comfortable daily/reliable commuter alongside. This will save you any logistic issues if one car is in the garage too. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use