•  

Advise required - Should we have spare car for off roading

RohanH

11 hours ago, Jas Gajaria said:

Hi Rohan, buy the second car... If possible try to find one which has been modified already! If its been used in the desert its okay as the previous owner has probably spent enough maintaining it. With the added advantage of saving money by getting it already modded. Any which ways, with older cars you will have a few issues so keep 5-7K just on the side to do any maintenance with it. 

I'm sure you will get many different opinions as everyone has a different experience with how they have come to use their cars. Hard truth is that no matter what route you'll end up spending a good chunk of money. 

Having a desert toy means its gonna rattle or make a few noises here and there, which is why always keep a comfortable daily/reliable commuter alongside. This will save you any logistic issues if one car is in the garage too. 

I would never buy a modified 4x4 unless I would know the owner personally and be sure he didn’t abuse it. Who knows it was flipped before or crappy aftermarket stuff is installed which can make it a potentially dangerous thing to drive.

Secondly, a beginner off-roader shouldn’t be buying a lifted or heavily modded vehicle. It will distract him from learning the skill and might even cause him flipping over if he doesn’t know about the higher  center of gravity on a lifted off-road car.

On top of that, if one can buy a bone stock Wrangler or Xterra that has only seen malls or kids seats and was maintained properly, than you’re certain that the mechanics on that vehicle are still ready for a second life in the desert. So I’d prefer that one.

There are exceptions to the rules and I agree that many off-roaders take extreme care of their cars, but I prefer bone stock and making my own decisions on what to install and for what reason I’d install it. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

I would never buy a modified 4x4 unless I would know the owner personally and be sure he didn’t abuse it. Who knows it was flipped before or crappy aftermarket stuff is installed which can make it a potentially dangerous thing to drive.

Secondly, a beginner off-roader shouldn’t be buying a lifted or heavily modded vehicle. It will distract him from learning the skill and might even cause him flipping over if he doesn’t know about the higher  center of gravity on a lifted off-road car.

On top of that, if one can buy a bone stock Wrangler or Xterra that has only seen malls or kids seats and was maintained properly, than you’re certain that the mechanics on that vehicle are still ready for a second life in the desert. So I’d prefer that one.

There are exceptions to the rules and I agree that many off-roaders take extreme care of their cars, but I prefer bone stock and making my own decisions on what to install and for what reason I’d install it. 

In Hindsight, you are absolutely correct about the not wanting a newbie driver to be in a fully modified vehicle.. that didn't even cross my mind!

• Like (+1) 5

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is really helpful and it is always good to learn from your experience. 

May be I was trying to convince myself that I can use the same car but now it is very clear to have other vehicle for off roading in sand. 

I will look for budget, some bargain deals and off course current ongoing scenario's. Till then have to use the existing one.

• Like (+1) 5

20 hours ago, RohanH said:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is really helpful and it is always good to learn from your experience. 

May be I was trying to convince myself that I can use the same car but now it is very clear to have other vehicle for off roading in sand. 

I will look for budget, some bargain deals and off course current ongoing scenario's. Till then have to use the existing one.

Probably your intuition is telling you something. Follow your intuition, you will not regret it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Important Information

Terms of use