•  
Advertise here

Some Like it Hot (or not?)

So, the Jeep owner finally chips in!

Driving without airco. Helps a lot.

Turn off the engine when you are standing still. Idling at 45c does not cool the engine because the aux fan will not come on. 

Be sensible ... is that extra sidey necessary or will it take your engine or transmission over the red line?

Drive sympathetically. It's a lot more skillful than gunning the car for every incline and helps you think about better entry and exit points. 

Watch and listen. If you blindly follow the line in front of you, you could just be driving yourself into soft sand. So take a look and choose a better route. 

If you are worried about the heat.  Stop. If you don't want to drive because you are worried it over stresses the car. Tell the lead. The lead can always reroute if there is a risk that someone will break down.

Read your gauges. Make sure you know what the warning lights are for. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

5 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Turn off the engine when you are standing still. Idling at 45c does not cool the engine because the aux fan will not come on. 

Be sensible ... is that extra sidey necessary or will it take your engine or transmission over the red line?

Drive sympathetically. It's a lot more skillful than gunning the car for every incline and helps you think about better entry and exit points. 

Watch and listen. If you blindly follow the line in front of you, you could just be driving yourself into soft sand. So take a look and choose a better route. 

If you are worried about the heat.  Stop. If you don't want to drive because you are worried it over stresses the car. Tell the lead. The lead can always reroute if there is a risk that someone will break down.

You strike a good point about turning off the engine when you are standing still. I always think/assume when the car is running a bit hot (not alarmingly hot, or no dashboard alarm lights) it is actually better to let the engine run because at least your waterpump continues to run and the engine fan also keeps running and pulling air into it. That way, and in combination with switching off the A/C and upping the idle a bit my temps go down slowly and become normal again after 5 mins.

I've seen several times when switching off my engine, and restarting my engine after it has been sitting for a few minutes, that the measured temperature is a lot higher because it stopped circulation and kept creeping up due to remaining heat of the engine that was looking for a way out.

PS Your AUX fan should be controlled by a switch that you can flick on any time you like.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

All great points, however @Frederic I can understand your point for people like us who run clutch fans, upping the revs the higher the speed of the fan, but what about those cars using electric fans?

Unless your car is actually overheating and not just hot within operating range. Switching off the engine will just let it heat soak. Because it's just sitting there absorbing all the under hood heat  the heat is not being disapated anywhere. 

When it's actually overheating, meaning the cooling system is not working and heat is just building up and the engine is already very hot. Running it any more will just cause more heat build up leading to major damage then it's better to shut it and let it cool down.

2 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

When I had a jeep. My eyes were more glued to the temp gauge rather than what's ahead. 

Being a jeep owner and overheating go hand in hand

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

This is a very interesting topic to discuss. As a newbie, I like to share what I had done and learnt. 

1. The last 2 drives, I have deflated to 14 p.s.i. as oppose to 15 p.s.i. previously. I am surprised that 1 p.s.i. made so much difference in getting me out of potential refusals. At the end of the drive, before inflating, I checked and found that the pressure was up to 15 p.s.i. (this is evening drive, so the outside temp is cooler).

2. The last weekend drive, after we dropped off the Tuareg and Gaurav took us to more technical terrains, I saw my temp gauge pointer, a little bit over the centre. (It always has been in the centre for previous drives.)

As a precaution,  I turned off my a.c., in a short while the pointer was back to the centre. I continued the rest of the drive without a.c. till when we were near the cycling track. 

FYI, I am driving a Jeep Wrangler JK 2016, without any modifications. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3