•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Mahafiz - Sharjah - 12 Jun 2020

Rahimdad

It was a great drive, with many scenic detours. Thanks @Wrangeld and @Jeepie for not only very competent leads, but also maintaining a great pace!  It was great to have the desert basically to ourselves, and as always the highlight of my week. Thank you to @Rahimdad and @sertac for the guidance, and all the shoveling with @Vanessa8580!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Dear @Wrangeld and @Jeepie,

While this was your first drive as Leaders (kudos for your excellent performance) it was as well my first one as Fewbie, so some of your excitement was also mine.

When he noticed that @Rahimdad was not in the lead, my 6 years old son asked a ton of questions why someone else was leading, as in his mind only someone wearing a Superman T-shirt would be fit for the role.. Afterwards he admitted the ride had been a lot of fun and concluded you can be leaders even if you aren't dressed as super heros. I'd say this means you passed with flying colors! 

Letting aside a few stops for refusals and recoveries from stucks (which I used for a few photo shoots more than usual), we kept a fairly fast pace, which was indeed the greater difference I noticed from previous newbie drives. And great fun too, a totally different ride compared to my 1st time at Fossil Rock two weeks ago. 

Following @Foxtrot Oscar wasn't always easy, as she was surprisingly faster than I would have expected. 

Towards the end I feared my tyres (which I had deflated only to 16 psi) would gain too much pressure with the heat, but I managed to avoid further deflate and ended without trouble at 17-18 psi. 

I climbed and descended Fossil rock with somehow a heavy foot, which caused a couple of jumps too many on the way up (where I slightly damaged the rear left inner mudguard plastics, fixed by hand for the time being). On the way down @Wrangeldquestioned whether I was actually on 1L, as I descended too fast, probably again with a little throttle in excess. Next time I'll pay more attention.

Overall a great ride, thanks to the whole convoy members. 

See below ride track / details from Pathaway. 

20200612_162547.jpg

20200612_162843.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

@Wrangeld @Jeepie you had an outstanding lead today. Hats of you guys 😊 Today was my first Fewbie drive and it was quiet challenging in few places where the sand was very soft due to hot summer. Thanks for @Rahimdad for guiding us all the way and special thanks to @Rahimdad @Vanessa8580 @sertac for recovering me when i was stuck. 

Even the summer heat goes up to 45 degree,we all had the off road spirt to conquer it. See you guys next week. 

pic posted in gallery. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

It was a great drive. This time we had chance to taste the lead of @Jeepie and @Wrangeld, both did amazing choices of route. We had few stucks, few refusals and 1 pop out situation. All handled well. Thanks to @Rahimdad bhai finally i got my new kinetic rope and felt more ready for sweep duty. Also it was good idea to add 2 extra fan to Jeep, because of extra fans even with extreme heat Jeep never passed the 100C. At the end we approach the Fossil Rock. Whenever we reach that point it reminds me my absolute newbie drive. I am not forgetting that excitement even after 3 years.

Big thanks to everyone who participate the drive and special thanks to @Jeepie and @Wrangeld for lead, @Rahimdad for giving that secure feeling of having Superman with us and @Vanessa8580 for keeping her eye on the convoy and sharing her experience with others. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

What a track.. Enjoyed the moments led by @Jeepie and @Wrangeld .. The flavour was indeed good and  we all liked the brownie sand ..  @Rahimdad :) .. Yes stucks,  pop outs happen and they are part of the game .. thats what we have signed up for ! @Rahimdad was the man of the match though , I could see him really beat but still got that smile to keep you motivated . I was very impressed with @sertac sweeping skills and he was very helpful in so many instances today . @Vanessa8580 keeping up that energy in the team :) ..All drivers were great today .. drove like pros.

As usual I have loaded some pics in the gallery and a customary video . Enjoy ! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

After all that has been said there is very little I can add to this. Our main challenge when we were driving to the meeting point was the Carnity website was going through an update. Thanks to @Gaurav, @Srikumar and @Frederic were already on top of the situation. It was a great relief to reach the meeting point to see everyone raring to go. My apologies for only 2 flavours today instead of the three I mentioned at the start. Those two flavours were so delicious the only thing I could share were my refusals and stuck. I guess wearing a Superman T-shirt does not guarantee you from a stuck.

I would like to applaud the lead of @Jeepie who took us to a corner of Maliha which remained unexplored. This is also the first lead by a female in @Carnity. Indeed a proud moment for us. @Wrangeld was a decision I had to make as it was so difficult after enjoying @Jeepie lead so much. @Wrangeld was not to be out done as he added such a wonderful flavour to the drive that I enjoyed it just as much as the first part.

Everyone was more than up for today's adventure. I'm in great appreciation of @Foxtrot Oscar who managed every dune with accurate measure. @Vanessa8580 had a moment when side slopping but handled it very well. Bigger surprise was when I approached her she had a pop-out and had her board and Jack all ready to go. This is great as she had a very calm mind not only to handle the situation well, but come to a flat surface and prepared to fix the pop-out.

@sertac has come off age and was hard at work today to keep the convoy moving under all circumstances. I am very happy that @J J also noticed that @sertac seems to be on top of the sweep position. Some one wise once told me that to play the part you have to look the part. @sertac is preparing quietly but surely for a much more responsible position in our off-road community and I'm really proud that he is one step closer.

The highlight of the day for me was the sighting of the Dhub after 2 years. I ended up with the stuck and jumped out of my car to chase it for a good pic. He took me in a circle which tired both of us out, but irony was he hid beneath my car. I took a few pics and have shared it on our drive album. Enjoy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thanks everyone for the nice comments,  I thoroughly enjoyed leading and had a lot of fun. If you want to learn and get the opportunity, I would say; go for it. It might be a little scary at first but the support is always there. I certainly learned a lot. From practising myself and from watching other people learning how to lead as well. Gaurav put in a lot of time and effort teaching and I am glad I signed up for the leaders lead drives. 

See you soon 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

What an amazing drive! Many thanks to @Jeepie who took us to places we had never before ventured. @Wrangeld then took over and provided even more challenges and fun in the blazing sun. I'd say it was a mint choc chip flavour, cool and refreshing with some bite ;)

It's always a pleasure to drive with @Rahimdad who as ever imparts his wealth of knowledge and encourages everyone in the drive. It was also a timely reminder to even the most experienced among us that during these summer months, we must check our tyre pressure.  As we saw yesterday it absolutely will rise and when mixed with the hot sand will lead to less traction and thus refusals city. Maybe we can incorporate a 10 min tyre pressure check midway through drives ? Just a thought

Sorry if I was a bit too fast @Lorenzo Candelpergher I was just keeping apace with the leads. 

I'll pop some pics in the gallery .

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

4 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

What an amazing drive! Many thanks to @Jeepie who took us to places we had never before ventured. @Wrangeld then took over and provided even more challenges and fun in the blazing sun. I'd say it was a mint choc chip flavour, cool and refreshing with some bite ;)

It's always a pleasure to drive with @Rahimdad who as ever imparts his wealth of knowledge and encourages everyone in the drive. It was also a timely reminder to even the most experienced among us that during these summer months, we must check our tyre pressure.  As we saw yesterday it absolutely will rise and when mixed with the hot sand will lead to less traction and thus refusals city. Maybe we can incorporate a 10 min tyre pressure check midway through drives ? Just a thought

Sorry if I was a bit too fast @Lorenzo Candelpergher I was just keeping apace with the leads. 

I'll pop some pics in the gallery .

Just a quick note ... check some of my earlier posts about the difference from Newbie to Fewbie. Pace is just one of the big changes and @Foxtrot Oscar you got is spot on. Keep up with the pace, and never lose sight of the person behind. 

Yesterday was a real pleasure to lead ... and I think pre COVID we would probably have had that 5 minute pressure check you mention ,... So we could have ventured even further. 

Se you soon in the sand

• Like (+1) 5

Important Information

Terms of use