•  
Advertise here

Help chose! Do-it-all vs separate off roader (LR Discovery vs Volvo XC90)

Shadab Khan

Hi All, newbie here looking to get into off roading. I am hoping to change my Chevy Traverse into a 2017+ LR Discovery or 2017+ XC90. Budget is ideally around 150k, stretchable a bit. Things important to me:

1) 7 seats, 2) Off roading capability, 3) Driver assistance features (e.g. Adaptive Cruise)

I settled on Disco as it provides all of the above (Adaptive cruise in specific higher end trims 2017+ models). I am hoping this car will be my go every where car (office+off road). Reason to hold back currently is I am neither entirely convinced by Disco's off-roading (Jeep does it better) nor it's driver assist features (Volvo), so Disco is really a compromise. Jeep has no 7 seater and Volvo's XC90 while being an AWD with air suspensions that offer 10.5" of ground clearance in off-road mode, is no substitute for a 4 WD.

I am now in a position where I have come across an amazing Automall Certified Volvo XC90 deal (at 55% depreciation vs new for a 2017 high trim, with 52k KM on odo) and now wondering if I should get this car and instead of spending roughly 40-50k more on a Disco, get a used Wrangler later.

My off-roading will be limited to say once a month trips in Oct to May. I do fancy taking camping trips in desert or going into wadis/mountains for hiking/camping (I imagine mild unpaved roads but not chassis bending rock crawling) but my harsh reality is a job that keeps me fairly busy and I have a 4 month old newborn that will prohibit much of the stated fancies in the next few years, barring mild off road trips with a safety net of fellow drivers. With all these thoughts, I feel properly paralyzed to make a decision.

Now the XC90 is a great deal, it has all driver assist features (Adaptive cruise, lane centering, heads up display, stop and go cruise control for traffic, emergency breaking, panoramic roof, rear collision monitoring, blind spots, park in/out, 360 camera, leather interiors, cooling seats etc) that will make it an excellent commuter and family hauler over long distances (e.g. to RAK from AD where I live). I can even add a 2 year warranty and make it 3 yr/60k warranty for 4200 AED extra that should help somewhat against poor resale and electricals going bad as they often do in such a loaded car. On the other hand, it has 20" alloy wheels.

1) Given all this, I wonder if there are any XC90 owners who can share what sort of off-road trips they have taken (could be simple even).

2) Alternatively, does it make sense to have one do-it-all car (Disco) or better to separate the daily commuter from off roader?

3) XC90 engine is a 2L twin turbo with 320 hp power, with 20" wheels. It's an AWD. Would it be possible for me to drive over sand with lower pressure? Assuming driving over dunes is a no go..

Edited by Shadab Khan
  • Like (+1) 2

If I was you I would get xc90 + 2012 wrangler for off roading. Neither xc90 or discovery are usable for off roading. Maybe discovery can be used in newbie drives with too much care. I don't know how much you will enjoy while thinking about not to break your bumpers. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Your definition of mild offroading "camping trips in desert or going into wadis/mountains for hiking/camping (I imagine mild unpaved roads but not chassis bending rock crawling)" should not be an issue for an XC90, and given the great deal of that vehicle you might be getting it makes total sense to go for that one.

The Disco is not a do-it-all car. As soon as you go offroad you'll find that the bumpers are very sensitive. 

If you are commuting from RAK to AD, it will seriously rack up lots of miles in a short period of time. For a 2L twin turbo engine on the Volvo i am not sure if this is ideal. 

With an AWD you will be able to drive onto sand tracks if you deflate to around 15-18psi without problem. Going into the dunes is a totally other thing of course.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi Sertac and Frederic,

Thanks a lot for your responses! I realized as I typed my post that I am probably only trying to convince myself I'll be fine with a volvo :grin:, as has been said in other posts they are great cars but UAE is not a good place to own them. That said the deal is too good, I think I'll bite. 128K AED including comprehensive 1yr insurance and extended warranty (so I'll get it with 3yr/60K warranty):

Paying ~130K for car, 4.2K for warranty, and signed up for Al futtaim FAB credit card that will give back 6K AED in cashback so totaling 128K.

https://www.al-futtaimauto.com/used-cars/11151753-volvo-xc90-inscription/

Al futtaim automall refused to lower the price even 1 dirham, but at this price point I am not complaining!

On the other hand, they offered me very poor value (30K) for my 2017 Chevy traverse (GCC spec in warranty) so now need to figure out a way to sell it for better value. Anyways thanks for the help!

• Like (+1) 2

@Shadab Khan not quite sure, but seems you have already convinced yourself to go for the Volvo XC90, Although a nice car but my advise to check for 6 - 7 year old Volvos going for under 15K so that is a huge loss in about 3 years time. As for the Disco I have been surprised by @Pickey Singh who had performed very well over several newbie drives, maybe he can give you a better idea. I used to have an old 1998 Disco 1 which was very capable at all levels once you got the feel of it. Never seen a Volvo on sands and there are none in our club, so you might be the reference point in future if you decide to go for it. I would rather go for a Luxury vehicle for my family comfort, and separate vehicle for off-roading. Look at it this way, if your AED 150k car break down in the middle of the desert and is also your family car would you be able to leave it behind until you find a solution to bring it out to the road and to a garage or the dealership? Plus I am not comfortable with all the new age technology which is not tested enough and with sand or water going into the electronics could further make it dangerous for off-roading.

Just my point of view from what I have seen over the past 12 years of off-roading.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Shadab Khan said:

Hi All, newbie here looking to get into off roading. I am hoping to change my Chevy Traverse into a 2017+ LR Discovery or 2017+ XC90. Budget is ideally around 150k, stretchable a bit. Things important to me:

1) 7 seats, 2) Off roading capability, 3) Driver assistance features (e.g. Adaptive Cruise)

I settled on Disco as it provides all of the above (Adaptive cruise in specific higher end trims 2017+ models). I am hoping this car will be my go every where car (office+off road). Reason to hold back currently is I am neither entirely convinced by Disco's off-roading (Jeep does it better) nor it's driver assist features (Volvo), so Disco is really a compromise. Jeep has no 7 seater and Volvo's XC90 while being an AWD with air suspensions that offer 10.5" of ground clearance in off-road mode, is no substitute for a 4 WD.

I am now in a position where I have come across an amazing Automall Certified Volvo XC90 deal (at 55% depreciation vs new for a 2017 high trim, with 52k KM on odo) and now wondering if I should get this car and instead of spending roughly 40-50k more on a Disco, get a used Wrangler later.

My off-roading will be limited to say once a month trips in Oct to May. I do fancy taking camping trips in desert or going into wadis/mountains for hiking/camping (I imagine mild unpaved roads but not chassis bending rock crawling) but my harsh reality is a job that keeps me fairly busy and I have a 4 month old newborn that will prohibit much of the stated fancies in the next few years, barring mild off road trips with a safety net of fellow drivers. With all these thoughts, I feel properly paralyzed to make a decision.

Now the XC90 is a great deal, it has all driver assist features (Adaptive cruise, lane centering, heads up display, stop and go cruise control for traffic, emergency breaking, panoramic roof, rear collision monitoring, blind spots, park in/out, 360 camera, leather interiors, cooling seats etc) that will make it an excellent commuter and family hauler over long distances (e.g. to RAK from AD where I live). I can even add a 2 year warranty and make it 3 yr/60k warranty for 4200 AED extra that should help somewhat against poor resale and electricals going bad as they often do in such a loaded car. On the other hand, it has 20" alloy wheels.

1) Given all this, I wonder if there are any XC90 owners who can share what sort of off-road trips they have taken (could be simple even).

2) Alternatively, does it make sense to have one do-it-all car (Disco) or better to separate the daily commuter from off roader?

3) XC90 engine is a 2L twin turbo with 320 hp power, with 20" wheels. It's an AWD. Would it be possible for me to drive over sand with lower pressure? Assuming driving over dunes is a no go..

If you ask me keep your traverse for your regular drive as it is still under warranty. Spend about max 20k AED on a 2nd car for offroading/overland/camping ( used car like Jeep wrangler/Xterra/Pathfinder/FJ - if you find one). Keep all the remaining money safe with you for your other needs

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

I'm genuinely curious to know why you choose Volvo against 20+ other super capable, proven, car brands?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

I'm genuinely curious to know why you choose Volvo against 20+ other super capable, proven, car brands?

Maybe for this country it is not the best choice but you need to own one to understand. Back in Turkey my grand father had S60 2.0T it is still one of the best driver car i have ever driven. It is luxury enough, it is comfortable yet sporty. It has plenty of power, it is the brand everyone knows when you talk about safety(you should see those A pillars it is bulky). If you ask the people drive Volvo here you will hear they bought it because they had it before. 

Pictures from 2009

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, sertac said:

Maybe for this country it is not the best choice but you need to own one to understand. Back in Turkey my grand father had S60 2.0T it is still one of the best driver car i have ever driven. It is luxury enough, it is comfortable yet sporty. It has plenty of power, it is the brand everyone knows when you talk about safety(you should see those A pillars it is bulky). If you ask the people drive Volvo here you will hear they bought it because they had it before. 

Every country dynamics is way different based on mindset, choices, fuel price, economic condition and above all weather.

Let me not bring Indian, Chinese or Russian HERO car brands in perspective who are nothing in the UAE.

• Haha (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Actually in Tukey also Volvo is not very popular. What i am saying is once you own one you cant forget it. This is not related to country. If he ever driven one it is totally normal that he want to buy one, i can clearly understand why he is choosing a Volvo over a Lexus or Infinity. 

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use