•  
Advertise here

How to turn off traction in Nissan Xterra

Hello @Frederic @Gaurav

This is my second ride with the group and but this time i am doing it with my own car which is xterra but it doesn't have option to turn of the traction. Mechanic said we need to install a kill switch. But my question is do i need to do that for newbie drives or can it wait.

Thanks,

Jana

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Janarthan said:

Hello @Frederic @Gaurav

This is my second ride with the group and but this time i am doing it with my own car which is xterra but it doesn't have option to turn of the traction. Mechanic said we need to install a kill switch. But my question is do i need to do that for newbie drives or can it wait.

Thanks,

Jana

Hi @Janarthan i am not an expert in Xterra. Probably @Shamil @Chaitanya D @Kalahari @Desert Dweller @Emmanuel or somebody else from the Xterra Crew can assist in this ?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

ABS kill requires the fuse to be removed from the fuse box in xterra (as per the map) which dont have ABS switch on dash, but it tends to light up some warning signs on dash.

Best is to install a ABS kill switch which many garages do (about 50 to 100AED )considering that you will be driving it off road frequently. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

2 hours ago, Janarthan said:

Hello @Frederic @Gaurav

Thanks,

Jana

You need to install ABS kill switch which will disable all your stability controls. For newbie drive it is not very important, but get it installed as soon as possible. ABS is not tuned well for off-roading in xterra it can occasionally kick in during steep slopes and keep releasing the tires making your xterra go down without break or control. You must kill the ABS if you are going for serious drives. There are two ways to deactivate ABS

1) With ABS kill switch, which will cost you 150 to 200dhs and you can control from your dashboard easily. On and Off without any hassle.

2) With Fuse Modification, (which I had did) Bought a 3 way fuse from scrap which costed me 10dhs that's it.

Then remove the connection from inside the last 30amp compartment (as shown in the picture below) 

fetch.jpg.5d6cb661fb979b5a5095a043afe7a205.jpg

fetch-2.jpg.48c2939648c5b02404b00fc6b359075a.jpg

YOU ARE DONE.........

Just replace the fuse before off-roading with original one while car is turned off and key is removed. Then start the car and you see ABS light and all other stability control lights are turned on in your dash, and you are ready for dune bashing 😀

After the drive just replace it with the original one with the car turned off and key is removed. Light will be still on but don't panic just drive for a minute and it will go off.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 4

59 minutes ago, Asif Hussain said:

You need to install ABS kill switch which will disable all your stability controls. For newbie drive it is not very important, but get it installed as soon as possible. ABS is not tuned well for off-roading in xterra it can occasionally kick in during steep slopes and keep releasing the tires making your xterra go down without break or control. You must kill the ABS if you are going for serious drives. There are two ways to deactivate ABS

1) With ABS kill switch, which will cost you 150 to 200dhs and you can control from your dashboard easily. On and Off without any hassle.

2) With Fuse Modification, (which I had did) Bought a 3 way fuse from scrap which costed me 10dhs that's it.

Then remove the connection from inside the last 30amp compartment (as shown in the picture below) 

fetch.jpg.5d6cb661fb979b5a5095a043afe7a205.jpg

fetch-2.jpg.48c2939648c5b02404b00fc6b359075a.jpg

YOU ARE DONE.........

Just replace the fuse before off-roading with original one while car is turned off and key is removed. Then start the car and you see ABS light and all other stability control lights are turned on in your dash, and you are ready for dune bashing 😀

After the drive just replace it with the original one with the car turned off and key is removed. Light will be still on but don't panic just drive for a minute and it will go off.

Thank you @Chaitanya D @Emmanuel, @Asif Hussain the option you have mentioned is fantastic but I decided to go with kill switch as I am completely new for off roading and also in understanding cars. Will post the kill switch pictures shortly , it’s getting installed as we speak. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 3

5 hours ago, Janarthan said:

Hello @Frederic @Gaurav

Thanks,

Jana

HI @Janarthan. If you decide to go via the kill switch route, then this diagram could be helpful. 

ABS.jpg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 3

On 6/8/2020 at 5:57 PM, Asif Hussain said:

You need to install ABS kill switch which will disable all your stability controls. For newbie drive it is not very important, but get it installed as soon as possible. ABS is not tuned well for off-roading in xterra it can occasionally kick in during steep slopes and keep releasing the tires making your xterra go down without break or control. You must kill the ABS if you are going for serious drives

I only have the Traction control switch button, and I do notice now that I'm doing more serious drives that the car needs ABS kill switch too. But I did fine without it in Newbie drives.

• Like (+1) 6