•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Evening Newbie Desert Drive - Qudra - Dubai - 19 Jun 2020

Gaurav

18 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Welcome @VipinShetty to Carnity offroad club, as one time exception I can add you to this drive due to @Nikola Bozovic exiting after the drive is closed.

Please make sure that your Grand Cherokee having 8-10 inches of ground clearance alongwith front and back tow hook. @Brette might share some advise for bumpers to make it safe for dunes.

Please click on totally agree on this drive post and BAN post, once you read all the covid precautions.

Make sure your radio is set to above frequency and go through the newbie briefing video (above) for your and your vehicle safety.

Thanks @Gaurav. i read through the instructions and set myself up for it. i have the radio setup as per the instructions. see you guys soon!

16 hours ago, Brette said:

@VipinShetty I drive a Grand Cherokee Limited and have had to remove the front bumper lower facia and the lower lip of the rear bumper.  I did a couple of drives without removing it and ended up damaging both.  Not sure if the trail hawk also has the option to remove the lower facia and lip but if it does, please remove it before the drive to avoid damage. If it is the single piece bumper like the SRT, you need to be extra careful and use the highest level on the air suspension. 

Images below of what I have done to my drive bumpers

Screenshot_20200618-222157_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200618-222058_Gallery.jpg

thanks for the heads up @Brette, i managed to remove the front bumper lower fascia. rear not yet... hoping the improved departure angle on the trailhawk helps. 

where can i get myself the front radiator guard done for the GC?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Convoy Numbering:

1. Gaurav - Silver Pajero
  2. bunty_and_pops - White Wrangler
  3. Vipin Shetty - Jeep Grand Cherokee
  4. Magellan - Brown Pajero
  5. Janarthan - Silver Xterra
  6. Anish S - White Pajero
  7. Jeepie - Green Wrangler
  8. Rajeevan Vickneswaran - Blue wrangler
  9. E.C. TAN - Grey Wrangler
  10. Tbone - Black Xterra
  11. siddharth maheshwari - White Jeep Wrangler
  12. Mahmoud Hamzawy - Brown Prado
  13. Ale Vallecchi - Grey FJ Cruiser
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Well described! Had a great drive again lead by @Gaurav . Sand was really soft and the idea of defalting the tyres further down was a good advise.

Thank you @Jeepie @Wrangeld and  @Ale Vallecchi for managing it so well. I think we all followed the guidelines yesterday . 

20200619_221447.jpg

20200619_190533.jpg

20200619_190459.jpg

• Like (+1) 8
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Such an amazing drive we had....thank you guys @Gaurav @Ale VallecchiVallecchi @Wrangeld @Jeepie...I had the opportunity to learn and experience different situations.....it was my first time doing crisscross and I am looking forward for enhancement....another important thing I learned was not to just follow the track but to revaluate the conditions because it changes and sometimes minor adjustments are required.... Similarly re checking of tire pressure is essential because the pressure do fluctuate with temperature and in my case today I think the stem was not tight enough so I lost pressure and luckily I could re-inflate with the assistance of @Ale Vallecchi

I really appreciated the effort made by Richard @Wrangeld in making such a valuable and detailed drive report. Keep it up....

IMG_20200619_164451~3.jpg

IMG_20200619_164451~4.jpg

IMG_20200619_165401~2.jpg

IMG_20200619_165633~2.jpg

IMG_20200619_172412~2.jpg

IMG_20200619_190128~3.jpg

IMG_20200619_190134~3.jpg

IMG_20200619_190151~2.jpg

IMG_20200619_170717~2.jpg

IMG_20200619_170714~2.jpg

Edited by Anish S
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Absolutely enjoyed the drive led by @Gaurav with @Wrangeld @Jeepie in the middle and @Ale Vallecchiin sweep.

Of course with all of the guys too. 

Thanks @Wrangeldfor the detailed and informative post drive report. 

Looking forward for this weekend.

IMG-20200620-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20200620-WA0015.jpg

20200619_173409.jpg

20200619_183912.jpg

Edited by E.C. TAN
  • Like (+1) 6

On 6/20/2020 at 9:20 AM, Wrangeld said:

The One with the Master Class

If you were on @Gaurav's Newbie drive yesterday through Al Qudra, think yourself extremely fortunate. Forget the refusals and stucks for a moment because what we all received yesterday was a master class in dune crossing: one of the most important techniques to learn in off roading if you want to progress and take the hobby further (and further into the wilderness). 

With everyone at the meeting point at the designated time, we did had a slight delay before moving off. @bunty_and_pops acted as second lead (and did a great job) with our newbie @Vipin Shettydriving the mighty Cherokee and @Magellan, @Janarthan (the new entrant in the Xterra club) and @Anish S making up the front of the convoy ahead of @Jeepie and myself.

After the experiences leading the drive in the morning (see separate post if you wish) myself and @Jeepie truly enjoyed the start of this drive as we zig zagged through the cream white sand of AL Qudra. @Gaurav kept a fantastic pace - as did the convoy behind and I am sure that the more experienced drivers toward the back of the convoy @Tbone (another convert to the Xterra afer, as he put it, his Hummer 'retired hurt'), @E.C. TAN, @Rajeevan Vickneswaran and @siddharth maheshwari with @Ale Vallecchi enjoyed the opportunity to ride the dunes as the sand was quite forgiving and stable. 

As is often the case, it's the things we fear most that cause the problems and crossing the top of a dune, be it straight or criss crossing involves a moment of trust, and that milisecond of doubt is when the momentum is lost and problems are encountered. Even experienced drivers like @Tbone find that they can get stuck if there is that moment of hesitation. 

It's true to say that @Vipin Shetty did find the going tough in places, but that's what these drives are for. Practice, learn, get help from the seniors and deal with the challenges safely. Getting his car out from a couple of the stucks provided really valuable lessons as they were unusual and required quite a bit of thinking to find the best solution to recover.

We also had the opportunity to help out another vehicle whose tyre had shredded in the heat and who did not have the correct tools to replace their wheel. Another lesson in desert etiquette. Even if we think that someone is unwise to travel into the sand alone (less than 3 cars), help them out when they are in trouble.  

So back to the master class. Not only were we shown how to approach, crest and then turn off a dune, @Gaurav too the time to explain clearly how to do this in words - and then found us moment after moment where this could be put into practice. 

As we moved to the more technical dunes, there were more challenges. There always are, but we all made it through and went in search of some more playable dunes on the other side of the nature reserve. On that side of Al Qudra, however, the sand was softer and as soon as we entered the dunes Gaurav decided to re route. 

That was a few seconds too late as we already had a recovery to make ... and then even Gaurav got cested on a dune. Our kinetic ropes will need the week until we are back in the sand to recover as there was quite some work to do with them over this weekend and to get the stuck cars free. 

It was moving towards dark so @Gaurav led us out to the tarmac through a more direct route a few kms from the gas station where everyone was able to reinflate and make their way home.

So, another great drive to have enjoyed and even more lessons learned.  

Thanks @Gaurav, @Wrangeld, @Jeepie and @Ale Vallecchi for the all the support during the stucks and refusals. I did learn and take back with me a few pointers that day. 

Thanks everyone else on the drive for being patient ... hope my stucks didnt take a toll on your experience.

i did join a few offroad clubs but never went on a drive with them... from the beginning i didnt feel commitment to people and vehicle safety like i felt with carnity. Going by the advise i recieved right from the starting point to those during stucks and varying levels of tugs my car recieved keeping in mind safety; it reaffirmed my decision to drive and learn from the carnity team as this team really walks the talk. 

It was a lot of fun and looking forward to many more drives. Cheers!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use