•  
Advertise here

maxtrax..

Maxtrax is something I see regularly in most of the off-road videos posted in youtube. Looks like its great tool for off-road recoveries, specially in sand. But I didn’t see this tool widely accepted in carnity off-road club.  Looking for our members opinion.

As per below videos even a knockoff maxtrax work fine and I found some in amazon for about 500 dhs.  Which is almost the same price as set of recovery rope set. 

https://www.amazon.ae/Universal-Recovery-Traction-Tracks-Ladder/dp/B07RTKKXC3/ref=pd_sbs_263_2/260-3929494-4881948?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07RTKKXC3&pd_rd_r=ae1ac005-54b5-4b81-a4b4-a753c7d06bfe&pd_rd_w=06yLB&pd_rd_wg=zxdVu&pf_rd_p=960b8cc3-7122-48e4-be95-f541be86dba3&pf_rd_r=AYB24322QR3XFKWANVE3&refRID=AYB24322QR3XFKWANVE3&th=1

• Like (+1) 2

I am no expert on this. I am sure more senior members will give their view. However, here's my view: 

• The tracks take up a lot of space in the vehicle (I have foldable bushranger tracks and they still take up a lot of space)
  • If you are on your own (why would you do that?) they might be a good idea
  • I think they can be quite dangerous. If your wheel catches and they travel under the car (backwards or forwards) you are esentially launching a missile into the air
  • It might get you out a bit easier than digging - but digging lets you take a bit more care and time
  • With a rope you have a degree of control that I am not sure would be there with tracks - espeically if the access is challenging
  • It feels like there is a lot more to learn about how to use tracks safely and effectively than ropes. 

All equipment is a personal choice at the end of the day so if you feel you want these in your vehicle go for it. I cannot imagine using them on a carnity drive. More importantly, as you move up the ranks there is equipment that you need to carry with you as part of the privelege of promotion. According to Carnity, a rope is a priority, so you will not really save anything, because you will need a rope in carnity at some stage. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

If you see the picture in the first video you shared it is flat ground. Such stuck will happen very very rare. It will happen if you not deflated, even in that case if you be smart and not give full gas and not keep digging until your chassis sit on the sand you can take your self out with deflating. So such accessories is not very useful here in UAE. We are mostly getting crested top of the dune, which this things will be useless for recovery.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Thanks guys i just want to put it out there out of my curiosity. 

hi @Wrangeld all valid points. i didn't meant that maxtrax is an alternative for rope. i just mentioned it to show the price comparison. 

@sertac agree the recovery situation in both video are not common in the desert. Also it is not ideal for recovery of crested situations.

Thanks @Rahimdad for letting us know its tested and proven not much useful in the desert. 

i understand maxtrax is not ideal for crested situation or soft sand. but what about a stuck in a ditch or bottom of a bowl. 

• Like (+1) 6

16 hours ago, Rizwanm2 said:

i understand maxtrax is not ideal for crested situation or soft sand. but what about a stuck in a ditch or bottom of a bowl. 

You can buy them and try, for once in a year or two moment.

I totally agree with Richard, that they are pain to store. I do have folding one and they always failed to work and only impressed me once on rocky terrain to recover a car who was slipping on gravel badly. @Rahimdad might remember his treasure hunt event in 2010 to put a flag on pylon track, that was tricky for novice 4x4 drivers.

For sand, self recovery techniques + 10 dhs shovel is more than enough. Event for the cresting.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

i have had them for 10 years - bought when i did offroading in UK (muddy) - but never got to use them there - only once when stuck in a gravel-ly wadi in Oman - they did help me get out though I cracked the end of one of them ( I had placed it wrong) - I still have them in my car though..

• Like (+1) 4

I had a look at different models and tried them from a friend and I liked them.

First, there is a big quality difference between the one from Ace and the real Maxtrax. If you want something that works and still usable after 1 time usage, you should go for the Maxtrax. It is more rigid, it can handle the load.

The reason why you don't see them in a club environment in my opinion:

- Expensive
- You are with a group, always somebody to help you with a rope or whatever.

The Matrax is ideal for overlanding, or solo off-roading. I came once in a nasty situation where I digged myself in with my rear wheels. After shovelling for 10 minutes and trying to get out, my friend offered his Maxtrax. What a blessing I can tell you. 

Don't be biased because you don't see them in a club environment.

• Like (+1) 4

Thanks @Xaf for good point of consideration.

Were you in dunes and/or in a pocket or on a flat surface with bit of sand?

I have these and they have never worked in dunes, but on flat surface, once.

Bushranger X-Trax Sand Tracks (Pair) (Off-Road Recovery)

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

Thanks @Xaf for good point of consideration.

Were you in dunes and/or in a pocket or on a flat surface with bit of sand?

Technical part between Al Qudra and Solar Park, in a small pocket.

Yes, I could have shovelled myself out, but my friend said, just try this. Not too much gas, controlled self recovery (with the Maxtrax). He said, I am not going to sweat if it is not necessary. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1