•  
Advertise here

Range Rover 2010 or BMW X5 M Twin Turbo 2011

Rahimdad

@desertdude I know I got all the dirt that I wanted from you last night, but wanted you to share the write-up from Robison as you have tonnes of great knowledge. As I am in the mood for looking out for a one of deal which I can turn around in a year to enjoy some luxury without loosing too much. I have no intention of taking them off-road. I really loved their article about the drive chain and how it effects the cams and stuff. I want this to be reference for anyone who ever wonders on my path.

8 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

@desertdude I know I got all the dirt that I wanted from you last night, but wanted you to share the write-up from Robison as you have tonnes of great knowledge. As I am in the mood for looking out for a one of deal which I can turn around in a year to enjoy some luxury without loosing too much. I have no intention of taking them off-road. I really loved their article about the drive chain and how it effects the cams and stuff. I want this to be reference for anyone who ever wonders on my path.

That only effects the 2010 5.0 V8s like I mentioned the most bullet proof range rover you can get is the 06-09 and from within thosr the 08-09

• Thanks (+1) 1

The best advice I was ever given is that a Cheap [insert luxury marque] is the most expensive one you can buy. By the time they get to the 2nd hand market with attractive prices they are out of warranty and normally need some big bit of expensive engineering that the owner does not want to pay for (timing chain/transmission). 

I am with most of the comments above. I looked at dozens of these supposedly 'cheap' luxury wagons when I got here. I am not sure how many times the RR air suspension was on its last legs. X5 is a beast, until you have to pay to repair it (again) and every one I looked at that was in budget was missing some major service record.

I was so desperate, that in the end I bought a Jeep! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

There will be however a few exceptions to the rule. BMW 5-Series E39 was extremely well made, and can hold it own against the Lexus 400 series. 

If you're going for luxury SUV, then maybe a LX470 is an option. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

6 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

I was so desperate, that in the end I bought a Jeep! 

And you think that's a good thing! Lol

In general I love this preception people have, makes cars which otherwise I could never dream of owning very affordable and with in my reach

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

24 minutes ago, desertdude said:

That's not a Range Rover, that's a LR3 with a fancier bodyshell. Commonly known as the Range Rover Sport.

Ouch! I set the search params to Range Rover 08-09 and was wondering why this had a 4.4L engine as opposed to the one your referred to above (5 V8).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shadab Khan said:

Ouch! I set the search params to Range Rover 08-09 and was wondering why this had a 4.4L engine as opposed to the one your referred to above (5 V8).

Like I said this isn't a Range Rover. Just like the Evoque isn't a Range Rover neither is this. This is just Land Rover trying to cash in on the Range Rover name and heritage. And to their credit pretty successful in conning people into buying it thinking they were buying a Range Rover. It's really just a glorified  LR3

The only thing it shares with the Range Rover is the AJV8 motor and nothing else. 

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

This is indeed a very old trick LR has used over and over again. The Discovery series I is nothing but a Range River Classic with a less luxurious and more utilitarian body shell. The Series II is also nothing but a P38a Range River with a less luxurious and more utilitarian bodyshell. Only this time the went around the other way and dressed up a Discovery as a more "sporty" range rover

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use