•  

COVID19 COMPLIANT - Evening Fewbie Desert Drive: Badayer to Sharjah 26 June 2020

Wrangeld

6 hours ago, Shiju Manuel said:

Thank you @Emmanuel and @Wrangeld for the amazing drive with lots of learning things, the sand is really soft and climate is extremely hot. Today I realized the importance of ground clearence in Fewbie level onwards. Got a hit on the front number today, lucky not damaged much. May be I should think to modification on the my car soon to fit for the drive. 

Thanks to everyone on the drive today. See you all soon. 

Photos will be uploaded in gallery. 

Hi Shiju, if you intend to continue offroading at Fewbie and above level with your Pajero, you might want to trim the front bumper lower lip and get a stronger bash plate than stock as a start. Then as the next stage get a small 2 inch lift installed which will give you a very nice ride to comfortably push it through most places.

Having said the above, the learning what you get in driving a stock Pajero is invaluable. Offroading is about knowing the strength and weakness of your vehicle and working around it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

4 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Hi Shiju, if you intend to continue offroading at Fewbie and above level with your Pajero, you might want to trim the front bumper lower lip and get a stronger bash plate than stock as a start. Then as the next stage get a small 2 inch lift installed which will give you a very nice ride to comfortably push it through most places.

Having said the above, the learning what you get in driving a stock Pajero is invaluable. Offroading is about knowing the strength and weakness of your vehicle and working around it.

Totally agree with you @Srikumar and thanks for the advice. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

So, back to that reputation thing ... second week of leading drives and second week of drivers having multiple stucks. We will see if that results in the take up for any new drives falling off! In my earlier reports I have written about the excitement and challenges of moving up from newbie and the experiences of what it it like being promoted in this game. 

@Wrangeld and @Jeepie you both did very well as leads no doubt. Just that the heat and soft sand was getting everyone stuck. 

I feel every refusal or stuck is a learning experience for newbie/fewbie as this is what we need to get out of. More we learn in harsher conditions, probably the better.  Of course everyone wants to drive on dunes without getting stuck,  but that probably will never teach you how to get out of  a stuck situation. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

@Wrangeld and @Jeepie there is no race, rally or contest here in Carnity drives or its lead, EVER. 

It's an adventure sport that we are in and we should always keep on learning and optimizing ourselves. As you both share the one drive time in same vehicle that's why learning curve seems a bit delayed, but that's perfectly normal and nothing you both should be really worried or concerned about. You both are doing great and please continue doing the same. I personally love your both cool and calm approach at the worst of the situation - which is a very BIG ASSET.

Thanks @Emmanuel for the wonderful feedback, support and watchful observation to let them lead the real convoy.

I remember last month I did the same area with fewbies and also unable to complete till Iftar bowl due to various intense stuck and one of the car overheating to the max and curfew time changed all of sudden. These are absolutely normal behavior of the desert driving and especially in summer, when sand is less forgiving and cars running warm with little less power output. The only thing I will learn from my last failed attempt, if I do it again now, is to skim the route to half - with less play time and more drive time considering the convoy slow movement and adding bit more buffer for intense stuck.

It's called planning on the go - where you start with very tight control to cover as many as km's you can and then slowly adding the play time (if time permits) after the first 50% route is covered. When it comes to sand, we all are kids and we all love the playtime doing endless sideys and hill climbs but when on a route with a mission to reach a difficult endpoint, trip lead need to take some tough decision too (at times) to delay the playtime, stick to flat track (sometimes), avoid sharp dunes crossing, avoid going through pockets, go easy in heat (to have no refusals/stuck) etc.

I personally don't push my car above 3K rpm, when Im pressed on time, so that cars behind me don't fight or struggle to go through. As lead car crossing at 3K will increase to 4-5K rpm for the last car due to cross tracks and soft sand in summer. So more you factor these ideas, more you will have a better control on convoy movements.

Keep learning, you both are doing great.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thank you Gaurav, I did mention to Richard that I thought he was a little tough on us in the report😄. I was very pleased we managed to get everyone in and out safely and I think there is no shame in having to adjust the plan.  For sure we have a lot to learn, but I think it is important to remember to have fun while learning. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

@Wrangeld I felt you are being a bit harsh on yourself. Leading in such extreme weather conditions is firstly a real challenge, and the soft sands add another complication. Area 53 has always been a more difficult area compared to others. 

I remember my first drive in that area as a Fewbie, I really struggled through the entire drive. @Asif Hussain was also in the same convoy and he also was having his first experience of that area. Now, in drives we are accustomed to having an occassional pop-out. But the speciality of that drive was that me and Asif Bhai were having pop-outs two at a time. And if I remember correctly, it was totally 3 times that such double pop-outs happened. But we all learnt from these challenges and thats where you start observing the sand even more closely.

Like Gaurav mentioned your and Jeepie's biggest asset is your calm composure even in the most stressed situation. I am sure the route forward will only become easier and more enjoyable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Badayer, 54° outside, fewbie level, after another morning drive for @Jeepieand you... This was actually a big challenge for a first official lead, @Wrangeld. So please don’t be too tough on yourself. You are not expected to control everything and you are not responsible for every stuck. I think you did very well by adapting the route and taking good decisions, and at the end of the day it’s been a fun drive. 

And everyone, again, I’m very sorry for having delayed the drive at the beginning. It was a stupid mistake to miss Badayer Shops exit... 

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use