•  
Advertise here

Buying used Nissan Altima

Hi Guys,

I am thinking to buy used Nissan Altima 2017 from Automall. They are asking 50 k aed for 2017 SV and offering 1 year/20k mileage warranty. I heard alot about Nissan transmission going bad. I am split between Corolla 2018 and Altima 2017 SV. As a Altima user what do you advice?

I am thinking to derive this car for at least 5 years and 200,000 Km.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nabeel Ahmed said:

Hi Guys,

I am thinking to buy used Nissan Altima 2017 from Automall. They are asking 50 k aed for 2017 SV and offering 1 year/20k mileage warranty. I heard alot about Nissan transmission going bad. I am split between Corolla 2018 and Altima 2017 SV. As a Altima user what do you advice?

I am thinking to derive this car for at least 5 years and 200,000 Km.

Hi @Nabeel Ahmed welcome to Carnity.

There have been indeed numerous issues with the Nissan CVT transmissions. From what i've heard from 2018 onwards they upgraded to a new engine and transmission but still issues were being reported. You can be lucky and be troublefree, and i think it also largely depends on the maintenance the previous owner has done. If the tranmissions fluids were not replaced in time, the CVT will definitely have a short life.

The Corolla also has CVT transmission, but i hear little to no problems about them. Also the resale value of a Corolla is simply amazing, and is overall a bit boring but super reliable commuter car.

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

If you going to have this car for 200.000km you will have a transmission issue. Solving transmission is costing around 7000AED. Anyway i would accept the cost and choose the Altima over a Corolla. 

• Like (+1) 3

I drive a 2018 Koleos in my daily drive which is basically a Nissan X-trail with CVT. It has been done 62.000km so far and I didn't have any issue with the transmission even though I pushed it several times in desert. But again I hear so many CVT problems from around. It looks like a big gamble for that kind of long run. 

• Like (+1) 3

I feel automall discards the original mfg warranty amd give their own warranty. And they sell it costly. I would prefer it to buy from outside with warranty and service history.

If you have warranty then no problem it will cover for balance years out of original 5 yrs. Let it be nissan or any other brand.

Personally I will always go for toyota cars as I had used corolla and it is a no problem car. 

Having said that if you love altima than corolla you should go with altima as for next few years every day you have to see that car.

Apart from this nissan agency service is cheaper than toyota thay may save your money if you want to keep warranty. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Nabeel Ahmed Welcome to Carnity.

When you already know the Nissan Altima CVT gearing "Failing issue" and still even think about buying is like standing in front of a firing squad and hoping all guns will fail by a miracle.

Fixing cost of 7K or 17K doesnt matter as once gear is rebuild you will be again hanging on that thin rope and sitting with a lemon that no one will buy from you at quarter of the price. Deniz has driven 62k so far and such problem starts from 70K - 80K onwards.

These CVT gear failure is a very big known issue. Check here: 

Like @Frederic mention you will be extremely lucky if previous owner has changed the CVT fluid.

Here's my advice:

• If you are hell bent over Altima, buy with a "WRITTEN WARRANTY" that Automall will fix the CVT gearing if it fails and sell the car before warranty expires - be it 1 or 2 or 5 years.
  • My actual advise is - "Do not buy Altima", when you are already know the CVT gear issue exist.
  • To compare in correct league, you should compare Altima with Camry and even if you have to downgrade 2 or 3 years to fit in your budget, that should be your No: 1 Choice - Style, performance and Toyota reliability proven in Dubai taxi since two decades. You can safely put 200K in next 5 years on Camry if you maintain it reasonably well.

Alternatively, if you like Corolla and happy to live with it's minimalist design and feature for next 5 years, then that should be your next best logical choice - ANYDAY.

Wish you good luck for whatever you decide and hope it brings peace of mind for years to come.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Whatever you buy, get a proper comprehensive check from a third party. I had a customer in yesterday with a Nissan for a full health report. Car was driving fine and showing no issues but we caught that the CVT was approaching failure point. The seller wasn’t happy but a 350 dhs checkup saved the potential customer a bill of thousands. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1