•  
Advertise here

2015 Durango Radiator coolant leak

Dear All, 

History: During my last service, advisor said there is a coolant leak which has to be fixed but not urgent but he asked to check the level every week. I have done close to 4000 kms since last service and i could see the coolant level has not dropped down.

I am not sure if there is a leak or very minor one. Requesting for your kind insight and some garage or mechanic details who knows the car to check it again for me and probably fix the same if there is a leak.

Cheers,

Jana

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Janarthan said:

Dear All, 

History: During my last service, advisor said there is a coolant leak which has to be fixed but not urgent but he asked to check the level every week. I have done close to 4000 kms since last service and i could see the coolant level has not dropped down.

I am not sure if there is a leak or very minor one. Requesting for your kind insight and some garage or mechanic details who knows the car to check it again for me and probably fix the same if there is a leak.

Cheers,

Jana

If it not dropped significantly after 4000km i would put a radiator leak stopper and move on. Check it time to time to see if there is a major loss. 

https://www.amazon.ae/سائل-مانع-تسرب-راديتر-مولي/dp/B07PVMDCY9/ref=asc_df_B07PVMDCY9/?tag=googleshopp09-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=355928946467&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11671912231919693098&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1000013&hvtargid=pla-769209353931&psc=1

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, sertac said:

Thanks @sertac i will give it a try. But need to identify where exactly the leak and how bad it is, to apply this solution. 

• Like (+1) 1

Radiator stop leak can cause more problems than it cures sometimes. I had to take the dashboard out of a LandCruiser a while back to replace the heater matrix after the owner put 2 bottles of stop leak in and clogged up the cooling system. 

If you can’t see any signs of leakage but you believe there is a leak, you need to use a pressure tester and put 10-12 psi in the system and monitor it for pressure loss over a period of time. If the pressure drops, you can start inspecting to see where the coolant is escaping from. 

Any coolant leak should be sorted straight away as it could result in loss of pressure leading to overheating. 

Edited by Barry
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

If in 4000kms you haven't seen the coolant level drop than most probably you don't have a leak.

And dont use any junk in your radiator unless it's an emergency patch up to get home in a fix 

That thing will circulate in your entire cooling system possibly clogging up your engine water galleries, radiator, water pump etc etc

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

I highly agree with @Barry and @desertdude on not using any stop leak thing in cooling system.

And let same or other mechanic diagnose it 100% about the coolant leak, as in present summer all engine coolant system are working in 200% capacity to keep engine cool and smallest leak can be fatal on your next drive.

So please do not ignore or prolong such maintenance, it might be very pricey if you cook your engine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Janarthan you mentioned the service advisor told you there is a leak. Is your Durrango being serviced at Trading Enterprise? Is it under warranty? Why don't you ask that service advisor to show you the leak and advise you what action needs to be taken?

Hello @Rahimdad yes I service in trading but there is no warranty. He quoted 5k aed for radiator change. That’s why I thought I will give it a try outside. Sure will definitely ask him to show me the leak but they won’t fix but rather change the complete radiator. 

Since it’s out of warranty , I thought we can fix the radiator issue and continue service with them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why would they change the radiator if there is a leak? I'm not so sure. I would try to understand where is the leak and why change the radiator for that? Normally outside leak would be a hose issue for example, so hose needs to be replaced, why radiator?

• Like (+1) 1