•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Solar Park - Dubai - 10 Jul 2020

Wrangeld

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

More than my Pajero, I absolutely love recovering as it gives me special satisfaction to help and also transfer bit of offroad knowledge and burn some extra calories for my Friday Gym. I did this center fwd after ages and Richard, made sure that I get good pay back after a long time gap.

Btw, my Pajero was indeed running hot after 9 AM, so switched off the AC and enjoyed little baking.

It was nice seeing you after a long time and sadly due to COVID we are now almost forgetting to see each other face.

@Gaurav I really appreciate your help, always. Thanks for you help and advise's. 

• Like (+1) 5

Thanks @Wrangeld for the wonderful drive, first one for me with you as lead and you did a great job of mixing it up, kept everyone on their toes.  @Gaurav thanks for being all over to assist with recoveries, not driven with you in a while and brought back a lot of memories of the time when I first started to see the little pajero all over the place zoomin to help where required. 

For everyone else in the convoy today, well done. It was challenging but you all kept your cool and drove pretty well given the technicality and number of stucks we started of with. Like @Wrangeld rightly pointed out in the briefing, the sand was extremely soft and by the time the second half of the convoy crossed certain patches, it seemed like we were driving through a ton of powder where even slowing down a bit would end up with you being stuck. This won't be the last of it and over the next couple of months we can expect a lot more of this happenning. Good overall learning experience for everyone. 

Thanks to Sherlock  @Veedooshee for her investigative skills in helping find  @Rajeevan Vickneswaran number plate. Would never have thought of tracking back pics to see when you last saw it on the car. Simply brilliant. 

Thanks again guys n gals for a fun morning. See you'll next weekend. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

4 hours ago, Anish S said:

Guys, did anybody had interference and noise with your walkie talkie today? This is the second time when i used Channel 2, i got lots of static noise...I feel the noise is present when my engine is on when i go away from the vehicle or turn off the engine, it stops. I am using a Crony CN-888.

Your input will be appreciated. 

@Anish S I use a crony and have similar issues. Does not happen all the time but noticed when I keep it in the cup holder and the antenna touches anything metal it starts. Have since started keeping it on the passenger seat and it's been a lot better. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

Solar Park, Soft Sand and So Much Vegetation

This morning could have started better, as I had managed to confuse Ms. Google a little with the start point. Well done everyone, because in spite of this, we were under way by around 5.15am. It had been a while since I had driven Solar Park and I was surprised by the amount of vegetation. Cloud seeding is all well and good ... but it seems they forget that cloud seeding begets plant seeding and the whole terrain is far greener than we would like. 

With @AKR as second lead we headed cross couuyerntry to the technical dunes that we needed to cross to get onto the wider, higher dunes. @Gaurav deserves a medal for rescuing just about everyone in the convoy, including me at one point or another. 

@Mehmet Volga you did great after that first crest, I just wish we had known that would be the start of a series of problems for @Chaitanya D, and eventually even @Brette.

Once moving again and with a few more refusals, we got going until a pop out for @Lorenzo Candelpergher needed attention. I really commend everyone for the patience of the first hour of the drive where we covered around 1.5 km and we were waiting around for multiple recoveries. 

And then, the dunes opened out a little and we were able to start moving through, up and down, side sloping where safe and possible and enjoying some uninterrupted cruising through the desert. 

Amazingly, it was the Pajero club that started overheating so we stoped to take a look at cars from @Anish S @RohanH and @Mehmet Volga to get them cooled down enough to continue. 

By that stage it was time to turn back in the direction of the amazing architecture of the beautiful Solar Park headquarters 😉 to find an exit. The stand out moment (as we will ignore the stucks as we navigated back) was that @Rajeevan Vickneswaran found his lost rear number plate [chocolates should be delivered 😂 to you know who. Clue @Veedooshee] in the desert after it fell off. 

For @Magellan and @siddharth maheshwari at the back of this convoy, you did a great job navigating heavily churned up sand. 

The technical dunes were less tricky on the way out, but still had their claws into us, even though we could not only smell, but see the flat ground. However, we all made it out deflated and made our way home. 

Big thanks to @Jeepiefor your calm input throughout the drive (and your redirects ...) and helping out as ever with the recoveries. 

As a learning leader, it was a great experience and I thank everyone for their support and patience. 

See you soon in the sand. 

Firstly big thanks to @Gaurav for your leadership skills and patience. It was a tough start for you today as most of us called you back to back for help despite you were just one call away .

Thank you @Wrangeld @Jeepie for the well coordinated lead and  @Brette for backing me up. You all are amazing how you all get on knees in the heat to help in any situation. @Lorenzo Candelpergher tyre popped out today at a sidey at the top of the dune and it was really risky for such big machine but he controlled it very well. It was my first febie drive and i learned a lot.

Kudos to those who didnt stuck at all today despite of soft patches . @Rajeevan Vickneswaran you were smartly saved by @Veedooshee . I remember one drive when i was driving in front of @Anish S and they always capture nice pictures 👍

Somehow i felt my jeep was less responsive at times today on loose sand when i needed some quick acceleration or it is an isssue with traction of my stock tyres . Was looking for the thread of pedal commander but couldnt get much out of it. Looking for some suggestions from other fellow jeepers and our leaders . I drive Jeep JL Sahara long wheel base. Would love to share some experiences or advise. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

1 hour ago, siddharth maheshwari said:

Firstly big thanks to @Gaurav for your leadership skills and patience. It was a tough start for you today as most of us called you back to back for help despite you were just one call away .

Thank you @Wrangeld @Jeepie for the well coordinated lead and  @Brette for backing me up. You all are amazing how you all get on knees in the heat to help in any situation. @Lorenzo Candelpergher tyre popped out today at a sidey at the top of the dune and it was really risky for such big machine but he controlled it very well. It was my first febie drive and i learned a lot.

Kudos to those who didnt stuck at all today despite of soft patches . @Rajeevan Vickneswaran you were smartly saved by @Veedooshee . I remember one drive when i was driving in front of @Anish S and they always capture nice pictures 👍

Somehow i felt my jeep was less responsive at times today on loose sand when i needed some quick acceleration or it is an isssue with traction of my stock tyres . Was looking for the thread of pedal commander but couldnt get much out of it. Looking for some suggestions from other fellow jeepers and our leaders . I drive Jeep JL Sahara long wheel base. Would love to share some experiences or advise. 

I wouldn’t recommend Pedal Commander. Your Wrangler has more than enough power and your throttle response issue is just yourself that needs to gel with the vehicle and it’s capabilities. A pedal commander might increase response time and will make your car feel more agressive behaving, but it also puts a lot more strain on the drivetrain components.

Make sure you’re well deflated on these days 12psi should be ok, going to 13-14 and higher and you’ll start feeling that you need to apply more power to make it through and will struggle more.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Dear @Wrangeld, dear @Gaurav,

This was my 3rd Carnity Fewbie drive, 1st time at Solar Park. 

I was quite disappointed when I got crested at the very beginning of the ride: I still have to figure out why my diff lock didn't engage while trying to self-recover. I tried later multiple times and it always kicked in.

When we eventually managed to drive a bit for real without stopping for some time it was quite enjoyable, until a moment of distraction made me lose control while sliding on a big dune, with the rear of my car literally falling downhill all of a sudden, causing a pop-out on my rear right wheel. My son, a pop-out freak, was excited as usual.., this time I really didn't feel the same way! 

After the 5th pop-out I am starting to consider shifting to 18" rims with a high profile tyres 265/70, slightly thinner than my current 275/60 but surely better when deflated off-road. I was told there are tyres with a particular shape of the inner edges of the shoulders which may help prevent pop-outs: recommendations would be appreciated. 

The biggest challenge of the day, for me, more than the soft sand, was the difficulty I experienced in reading the bright sand, despite polarized sunglasses. My latest drives were all in Mahafiz, Pink Rock, Fossil Rock, Area 53, Al Badayer, etc were the sand is much darker and much simpler to read. 

@Gaurav was amazingly relentless and patient in an abnormous number of recoveries and has all my gratitude for helping me out in the two instances above. I was also amused how he could ride all over the place while everyone else was getting stuck... 

The path was interesting and, when we had the chance to ride without stops, fast enough to have fun. @Wrangeld and @Jeepie did a great job in leading and routing, thank you both. Find today's track details below. 

Thanks to the whole convoy for the nice time spent toghether today.

Screenshot_20200710-211135_PathAway Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20200710-211758_PathAway Pro.jpg

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 5

4 hours ago, siddharth maheshwari said:

@siddharth maheshwari Thank you so much. That's what teamwork is about!

oh ya about the pictures it is as much as we can manage, i did upload some in the gallery however not too many, as the soft sand required us to keep moving.

See you on the next drive..if you are ahead of us, get ready to be clicked😉!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

4 hours ago, siddharth maheshwari said:

To clear your doubt about throttle response on Jlu, being an owner of one, i never felt this. i always use stick shift, not "D". mostly on 1st and 2nd gear, it conquers any tall dune like a champ.  Jlu has better gear ratio than Jku (non rubicon models), that said you don't need any throttle response controller. instead you can get a good set of tires (not more than 33") for good traction and may be an axle back exhaust/cold air intake. i bolted my jeep with these. 

@Rinelle Sanaani drives a complete stock jlu and it is an absolute monster. 

Never underestimate a jeep ! 

Edited by Febin Frederic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Brette said:

Thanks @Wrangeld for the wonderful drive, first one for me with you as lead and you did a great job of mixing it up, kept everyone on their toes.  @Gaurav thanks for being all over to assist with recoveries, not driven with you in a while and brought back a lot of memories of the time when I first started to see the little pajero all over the place zoomin to help where required. 

For everyone else in the convoy today, well done. It was challenging but you all kept your cool and drove pretty well given the technicality and number of stucks we started of with. Like @Wrangeld rightly pointed out in the briefing, the sand was extremely soft and by the time the second half of the convoy crossed certain patches, it seemed like we were driving through a ton of powder where even slowing down a bit would end up with you being stuck. This won't be the last of it and over the next couple of months we can expect a lot more of this happenning. Good overall learning experience for everyone. 

Thanks to Sherlock  @Veedooshee for her investigative skills in helping find  @Rajeevan Vickneswaran number plate. Would never have thought of tracking back pics to see when you last saw it on the car. Simply brilliant. 

Thanks again guys n gals for a fun morning. See you'll next weekend. 

Thanks @Brette,yes actually it clicked my mind that since @Rajeevan Vickneswaran was ahead of us, the few pictures i took still had the number plate, i zoomed it and yes indeed that's how it was tracked, i am happy he found it...and i could be of some help!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 5

8 minutes ago, Febin Frederic said:

To clear your doubt about throttle response on Jlu, being an owner of one, i never felt this. i always use stick shift, not "D". mostly on 1st and 2nd gear, it conquers any tall dune like a champ.  Jlu has better gear ratio than Jku (non rubicon models), that said you don't need any throttle response controller. instead you can get a good set of tires (not more than 33") for good traction and may be an axle back exhaust/cold air intake. i bolted my jeep with these. 

@Rinelle Sanaani drives a complete stock jlu and it is an absolute monster. 

Never underestimate a jeep ! 

Hi @Febin Frederic thats a good advise . I have never tried triptronic gears. Will try that out next time. I agree that JLU is powerfull and fun when in momentum  but at times when i need quick acceleration from zero or very slow speed  on slopes specially with soft sand the RPM just go against .

Thank you !

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use