•  
Advertise here

Purchasing Nissan Xtrerra

50 minutes ago, sertac said:

What's so special about that plate number?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Frederic said:

No luck with the Nativa ? What's the status ?

@Emmanuel drives the basic Xterra and it goes everywhere. Adding a cruise control is not easy, and i am personally not a fan of the aftermarket stuff for obvious safety reasons. Adding a rear difflock is a Nice To Have option for self-recovery. You can get ARB lockers but honestly you can perfectly go offroad without rear difflock. I would keep the extra money and spend it on good tyres, proper maintenance, and offroad gear such as compressor, ropes, shackles, etc... (or even maybe a winch :) ).

I have a RD on my little Pajero, but not on the big Pajero vanessa is driving. Which is a mystery because it is the 3.8 Gold Edition model and virtually all Pajero 3.8 have the RD. I was told this car was a Oman or Qatar import, but not sure about that.

Hi @Frederic 

Thanks for the suggestion. Even i thought about spending couple of thousand and fix everything once in for all. because i like its quirky old look and functionality.  but again i changed my mind,

During my last drive my nativa abruptly blow some white smoke. next day i took it to mechanic he cannot find exact cause as there is no white smoke now. but when i opened radiator cap before i start the engine i saw little bit of oil in the coolant. not too much but little bit floating on top of coolant. but engine oil seams fine, mechanic’s guess is head gasket is failing again. but have to open up and see. also car overheat when its idling for at least 15 mins, So cooling system also needs to be fully checked  

Apart from above another concern is lack of power. During last couple of drives I’m disappointed with performance, in quite steep incline the car wont climb as I wanted.

So decided to fix the car and sell it and go for long term reliable partner.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, RohanH said:

There is an option. If you find the car then can purchase and get ownership certificate. And can register letter. 

Because- when I changed my car , I thought it would be difficult to sell and easy to buy other. But in reality it is easy to sell and difficult to buy as selling can be done by just reducing price and getting new one means you need to search the good one and and at good price and need to do lot of check/inspection by garage and all. And once car is sold then we don't have option but to borrow a car to go out and find the new one.

Actually i have another car to use until I find a good one. Let's see these days because of summer and covid there are many options out there. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/5/2020 at 11:12 AM, sertac said:

I made my final decision for selling the Grand Cherokee and Getting a Xterra after my ministry of interior`s(wife) approval. I am actually not %100 decided if i should go for a Xterra or a FJcruiser. But i am more close to a Xterra. I have few questions, i will appreciate it if you guys share your experiences with these cars or any other car i should look at? 

- Should i go for 2014-2015 50.000 - 60.000km pristine condition Xterra Off Road around 50.000-55.000AED or getting 2012 Xterra Off Road above 100.000km for 35.000AED. All the cars have full Nissan service history. I can pay more for 2015 car but if 2012 model above 100,000km car still good enough, why i will pay more. Another option 2009 Xterra Off Road above 200.000km is too old to purchase? 

- When i come to FJ Crusier i can get 2012-2013 manual gearbox ones. Is manual gearbox good to buy? Generally other off road cars manual ones are going more expensive but FJ Cruiser manuals are cheaper. Any reason? 

- Is FJ Cruiser worth to pay more over a Xterra? 

I'm surprised this car doesn't get mentioned at all here is the Prado SWB VXR V6. It's the same drivetrain as the Prado lwb and Fjcruiser but in a lighter package 

And with slight suspension mods it's a real killer

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

9 minutes ago, desertdude said:

I'm surprised this car doesn't get mentioned at all here is the Prado SWB VXR V6. It's the same drivetrain as the Prado lwb and Fjcruiser but in a lighter package 

And with slight suspension mods it's a real killer

That car is a fantastic bullet. But good luck trying to find one.

2 years back when i just entered the club, one of my colleagues left Dubai and went back to his home country and sold his Prado SWB VX in IMMACULATE condition. He hardly drove it and it was always parked in a basement. I remember he kept telling me that locals on SZ road were honking at him and asking if it was for sale, but he never understood why that car was so attractive.

Anyways, he sold it one day, and i only realized months later how capable that car was...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad (0) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

17 hours ago, Rizwanm2 said:

Hi @Frederic 

Thanks for the suggestion. Even i thought about spending couple of thousand and fix everything once in for all. because i like its quirky old look and functionality.  but again i changed my mind,

During my last drive my nativa abruptly blow some white smoke. next day i took it to mechanic he cannot find exact cause as there is no white smoke now. but when i opened radiator cap before i start the engine i saw little bit of oil in the coolant. not too much but little bit floating on top of coolant. but engine oil seams fine, mechanic’s guess is head gasket is failing again. but have to open up and see. also car overheat when its idling for at least 15 mins, So cooling system also needs to be fully checked  

Apart from above another concern is lack of power. During last couple of drives I’m disappointed with performance, in quite steep incline the car wont climb as I wanted.

So decided to fix the car and sell it and go for long term reliable partner.  

You don’t need to open an engine to diagnose a gasket problem. This is what sniff testers, leak down testers, pressure testers etc are for. Mechanic is either making guesses and doesn’t know what he’s doing, or he wants to open it then it’s too late and you’re already stung for labour charges. The only time you should open an engine is to repair it, not to make a diagnosis. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Frederic said:

That car is a fantastic bullet. But good luck trying to find one.

2 years back when i just entered the club, one of my colleagues left Dubai and went back to his home country and sold his Prado SWB VX in IMMACULATE condition. He hardly drove it and it was always parked in a basement. I remember he kept telling me that locals on SZ road were honking at him and asking if it was for sale, but he never understood why that car was so attractive.

Anyways, he sold it one day, and i only realized months later what capable car that was...

Yes that is true and for good reason, when they do come up for sale, they get snatched up in a blink of an eye. So one really has to be on the lookout with cash in his pocket

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, sertac said:

Prado is indeed a good choice but too expensive for such old car. 

The SWB Prado V6 is worth the money even if it's an old car. Very rare to find though as most SWB Prado come with the 2.7 litre engine

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1