•  
Advertise here

Purchasing Nissan Xtrerra

7 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

The SWB Prado V6 is worth the money even if it's an old car. Very rare to find though as most SWB Prado come with the 2.7 litre engine

I dont understand the logic. They are asking 45.000-50.000AED for 2005-2009 cars. It is same value as 2012 FJ Cruiser and 2014 Xterrra Off Road. How better it can be over these cars. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

after test driving couple of Xterras today i found really good one. its 2010 off-road version vehicle is very clean and not abused in desert.  kind request from all Xterrians and our seniors, what are the major things to look for when buying an Xterra. 

Thank you in advance. 

• Like (+1) 4

Xterra is one of the more reliable 4x4s out there. Engine, transmission, differentials don’t really give any problems but I have seen injector problems although not common. As with any vehicle, use due diligence and check for signs of leaks, overheating, driveability etc. 

Outside of that it’s just normal consumable items such mountings, bushings, brakes, rods, links etc but that all comes down to who owned it previously and how well they maintained it. Engine and transmission mounts are a pretty common part to be replace on older cars. Get a proper inspection done and use any faults to knock the price down. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

For 2010 Xterra you should be very careful about Strawberry Milkshake of Death. Radiator have a weak point that breaks and transmission and engine oil got mixes. Which kills the transmission and sometimes the engine. This issue solved after 2011 models. How you can protect yourself from this is changing the radiator with the code number of new model. Just google ''Strawberry Milkshake of Death Xterra'' There are tones of information.

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

SMOD was an issue with US Xterras , not seen with GCC xterras if I am not wrong. Once u change or replace the old radiator basically that issue is sorted.

Whatever the case be prepared you will have to do some maintenance ( Oil changes, radiator flush, mounts etc) to make it desert ready... and once ready it's really carefree to drive in desert. That's one of the reasons it is highly recommended as an offroad car in this group. After owning one, I cannot agree more. It's been a really nice one to drive in the sands.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

Xterra is one of the more reliable 4x4s out there. Engine, transmission, differentials don’t really give any problems but I have seen injector problems although not common. As with any vehicle, use due diligence and check for signs of leaks, overheating, driveability etc. 

Outside of that it’s just normal consumable items such mountings, bushings, brakes, rods, links etc but that all comes down to who owned it previously and how well they maintained it. Engine and transmission mounts are a pretty common part to be replace on older cars. Get a proper inspection done and use any faults to knock the price down. 

Thanks Barry 

I was trying to get it to your place to have it properly inspected. but seller is too busy and not willing to come all the way to al quoze. 

:(  

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, sertac said:

For 2010 Xterra you should be very careful about Strawberry Milkshake of Death. Radiator have a weak point that breaks and transmission and engine oil got mixes. Which kills the transmission and sometimes the engine. This issue solved after 2011 models. How you can protect yourself from this is changing the radiator with the code number of new model. Just google ''Strawberry Milkshake of Death Xterra'' There are tones of information.

Thats scary as hell...

saw some part number associated with this problem. has anyone tried to done any preventive measures and got it fixed before any disaster.  what would be estimated cost. 

also in all Xterras i have checked noticed little bit rust in rear diff. is it normal. is it something normal in about 10 years old Xterra's or something to worry about. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just change the radiator. It's around 1,500-1,600 dhs for a new original plus coolant, labour etc. This is also a good opportunity to upgrade to the lower temperature 370Z thermostat. You may also need to refill the AC gas if the condensor has to be removed to do the job. Its been a while since I done one so I'm not 100% sure about the last part.

A bit of surface rust on the differential is nothing to worry about. If you were really worried about the aesthetics, you can scrub it with a wire brush and spray it with some black paint.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Rizwanm2 said:

Thats scary as hell...

saw some part number associated with this problem. has anyone tried to done any preventive measures and got it fixed before any disaster.  what would be estimated cost. 

also in all Xterras i have checked noticed little bit rust in rear diff. is it normal. is it something normal in about 10 years old Xterra's or something to worry about. 

SmartSelect_20200522-073336_Chrome.jpg.60333445ec32b5df927b0227c23d1230.jpg

You can double check the part numbers above on the radiator if it is associated with SMOD ( highly unlikely in GCC GCC xterras). Info courtesy www.thenewx.org , loads of information on this website.

Other way to be very sure and have trouble free cooling if more than 150k on the Odo will be to replace radiator as @Barry suggested.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1