•  
Advertise here

Purchasing Nissan Xtrerra

I made my final decision for selling the Grand Cherokee and Getting a Xterra after my ministry of interior`s(wife) approval. I am actually not %100 decided if i should go for a Xterra or a FJcruiser. But i am more close to a Xterra. I have few questions, i will appreciate it if you guys share your experiences with these cars or any other car i should look at? 

- Should i go for 2014-2015 50.000 - 60.000km pristine condition Xterra Off Road around 50.000-55.000AED or getting 2012 Xterra Off Road above 100.000km for 35.000AED. All the cars have full Nissan service history. I can pay more for 2015 car but if 2012 model above 100,000km car still good enough, why i will pay more. Another option 2009 Xterra Off Road above 200.000km is too old to purchase? 

- When i come to FJ Crusier i can get 2012-2013 manual gearbox ones. Is manual gearbox good to buy? Generally other off road cars manual ones are going more expensive but FJ Cruiser manuals are cheaper. Any reason? 

- Is FJ Cruiser worth to pay more over a Xterra? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Confused (0) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

That’s a wise decision I guess... 😉

About your XTerra options, t’s hard to say as it will depend on other parameters like : taken (or even abused) off-road? General condition? But if the 2012 is clean, I would go for this one. Anyway I would recommend to drive-test both of them. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Both cars are good. But I find, FJ has more off road capability. And is a Toyota car. So definitely more reliable than Nissan.  Over this few months of around 12 off road drives, I have never seen any Toyota car giving Heating issues. The same goes with the Toyota's I have seen with my friends.

But FJ comes with high price. e.g. 2015 Xterra price and 2012 FJ is same. FJ need more initial amount. So if i have to advise from the amount of money putting on off road car then Xterra is an ideal option over any other off road vehicles exist. 

Regarding- The X-Terra prices you had mentioned, I am sure you will get it at much negotiated prices than the mentioned in ad's on dubizzle. 

Good luck.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@sertac if budget is not a problem then go for ones with full service history with agency- either FJ/X terra. If you are on a tighter budget then think of older Xterra ( 2010 and earlier you can get for <15k- depending on the condition, preferably the off road edition if you could get). I would opt for one without mods, no bumper cuts, and get it checked from a proper reliable garage before the deal and adjust the price according to the work needed to get it fit and fine.

Test drive both FJ and Xterra as they are similar same spec wise , except for the FJ Xtreme model. You might feel one car more comfortable to drive than the other, which can help you to decide.

FJ are more likely to be abused in desert than the Xterras in general.Good luck with your purchase!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, sertac said:

I made my final decision for selling the Grand Cherokee and Getting a Xterra after my ministry of interior`s(wife) approval. I am actually not %100 decided if i should go for a Xterra or a FJcruiser. But i am more close to a Xterra. I have few questions, i will appreciate it if you guys share your experiences with these cars or any other car i should look at? 

- Should i go for 2014-2015 50.000 - 60.000km pristine condition Xterra Off Road around 50.000-55.000AED or getting 2012 Xterra Off Road above 100.000km for 35.000AED. All the cars have full Nissan service history. I can pay more for 2015 car but if 2012 model above 100,000km car still good enough, why i will pay more. Another option 2009 Xterra Off Road above 200.000km is too old to purchase? 

- When i come to FJ Crusier i can get 2012-2013 manual gearbox ones. Is manual gearbox good to buy? Generally other off road cars manual ones are going more expensive but FJ Cruiser manuals are cheaper. Any reason? 

- Is FJ Cruiser worth to pay more over a Xterra? 

Good point about the Manual FJ Cruiser. I have seen them during my time in Saudi but i dont know if the gearbox ratios are good for the typical offroading style we have. They are cheaper and is good thing to consider.

Do not forget the FJ cruisers Achilles' Heel: which is lack of visibilty all around, and lots of dead corners @Ale Vallecchi has complained about this before.

I would go for a slightly older Xterra with the simple reason that you can probably easily find one which has never been offroad. Xterra is often used as mall crawler or commute to school vehice, so those are clean examples.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

looks like im also in the same boat.  

im also looking for dedicated solid off roader so i guess xterra off road version is the one to go. But even for 2009-10 Xterra off road version vs basic price difference is about 8-10K

so my question is it possible to modify basic xterra to off road version. if yes how much it would cost and pros and cons. 

what i'm want additional to basic option is cruise control and rear difflock. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

looks like im also in the same boat.  

im also looking for dedicated solid off roader so i guess xterra off road version is the one to go. But even for 2009-10 Xterra off road version vs basic price difference is about 8-10K

so my question is it possible to modify basic xterra to off road version. if yes how much it would cost and pros and cons. 

what i'm want additional to basic option is cruise control and rear difflock. 

No luck with the Nativa ? What's the status ?

@Emmanuel drives the basic Xterra and it goes everywhere. Adding a cruise control is not easy, and i am personally not a fan of the aftermarket stuff for obvious safety reasons. Adding a rear difflock is a Nice To Have option for self-recovery. You can get ARB lockers but honestly you can perfectly go offroad without rear difflock. I would keep the extra money and spend it on good tyres, proper maintenance, and offroad gear such as compressor, ropes, shackles, etc... (or even maybe a winch :) ).

I have a RD on my little Pajero, but not on the big Pajero vanessa is driving. Which is a mystery because it is the 3.8 Gold Edition model and virtually all Pajero 3.8 have the RD. I was told this car was a Oman or Qatar import, but not sure about that.

• Like (+1) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

34 minutes ago, sertac said:

There is an option. If you find the car then can purchase and get ownership certificate. And can register letter. 

Because- when I changed my car , I thought it would be difficult to sell and easy to buy other. But in reality it is easy to sell and difficult to buy as selling can be done by just reducing price and getting new one means you need to search the good one and and at good price and need to do lot of check/inspection by garage and all. And once car is sold then we don't have option but to borrow a car to go out and find the new one.

Edited by RohanH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1