•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Pink Rock - Sharjah - 10 Jul 2020

Srikumar

12 hours ago, Srikumar said:

@Incognitoes as you got a spot on Qudra drives I have removed your name from this drive.

@Janarthan you are still signed up on two drives. Let me know you will be joining on which drive.

Hi Sri, dropped out from the other drive. Will be joining this. 

• Like (+1) 1

As we are getting ready for tomorrow's morning drive, this is a reminder to the following drivers

@Shiju Manuel @andy_macdxb @David Ortells @topgear . Please ensure you have clicked "Totally Agree" on the COVID-19 regulations

@Febin Frederic @Islam Soliman @David Ortells @topgear Please ensure you have clicked "Totally Agree" on Carnity Ban Post .

We need a formal confirmation that you have understood the regulations and would comply with them. 

PREPARATION FOR THE DRIVE AND WHAT TO EXPECT

1) please ensure that you reach the meeting point on time, i.e., 5:00 AM sharp.

2) The senior members on the drive would be Me and @Vanessa8580.

3) Convoy numbering would be posted after 6 pm today. 

4) @topgear Appreciated that you have already provided a brief introduction of yourself on the AN Qudra drive post. Since you would be joining us for your first offroad adventure, please spend 15 minutes to go through the Absolute Newbie briefing Video. This would help you prepare for your first offroad trip. 

5) Once you reach the meeting point, please turn on your radios. We will be using Carnity Channel 2 tomorrow. (446.03125 Mhz). The instructions to program the radio are provided in the below post 

6) All traction controls, ABS and Air bags need to be switched off. If it requires pulling the fuse, please do the needful. Incase of any queries you can always ask the senior members. 

7) Deflate to 15 psi. Incase if you have any difficulties you can approach the senior members who would assist you. 

8) Feel free to ask questions on the radio or announce if you have a problem.

We shall be starting the drive close to 2nd December Cafeteria, and enter the desert through some nice easy tracks and dunes so that you can get familiar with your vehicle. As the convoy's confidence increases I shall be gradually increasing the level of the drive keeping in mind everyone's comfort level. We will be driving for about 3 hours, practice driving in sand, proper steering control, crossing some dunes, and getting you and your vehicle accustomed to off-roading in general. 

By 08:30 we will be heading out, where you can inflate the tyres with your compressor. As we would not be exiting close to a gas station, please ensure that you have your own compressor. 

See you on the sand tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 4

DRIVE RSVP IS CLOSED

Convoy Numbering is as follows:

1. Srikumar
2. Shiju Manuel
3. topgear
4. Islam Soliman
5. David Ortells
6. George Francis
7. andy_macdxb
8. Tbone
9. Leo Francis
10. Jun Zamora
11. Febin Frederic
12. Janarthan
13. J J
14. Vanessa

See you all tomorrow at 5:00 AM.

• Like (+1) 4

Thanks @Srikumar for the amazing drive and i the wonderful experience given me as a second lead. Also wonderful job done by @Vanessa8580 and @Tbone to guide the convey at the back and helping for recoveries, even though it was a newbie drive felt all newbies drives well and managed the soft sand really well. See you all soon. 

Pcs uploaded in gallery.

• Like (+1) 3

TRIP REPORT 

The off-road club has been a big beneficiary of the ease of travel restrictions, which allows us to start the drives at the start of dawn. With the temperatures in the early 30s, it's the perfect time to start your weekend adventure.

Such is the excitement and commitment from the entire group, that when I reached the meeting point at 4:55 AM, I realised I was the last one. After a brief introduction and greeting (while maintaining our social distancing) we had a quick brief and lined up the entire convoy, when the last remaining RSVP car just arrived. Unfortunately it was already 5:30 AM, and to hold the entire convoy would have been disrespectful to the everyone. So we had to tell him to return. 

@Shiju Manuel was my second lead and he did a very good job of rerouting a bit as and when needed. Newly promoted @Tbone was given the all important position of center forward and @Vanessa8580 for a change was handling sweep duties which I am sure she thoroughly enjoyed.

As we were entering the desert from the Pink Rock side, it meant that the Fewbies got a chance to play at PR during the cooler hours of the day. For all the Newbies, your turn will surely come as to do the climb up Pink Rock you need good steering control and have a clear understanding of what is your vehicle's capabilities.

After everyone played to their hearts content we started moving towards Bidayer. As the convoy was responding well I decided to move towards the medium-sized dunes instead of doing the small dunes. With a lot of side slopping we covered quite a lot of ground which offered something for the entire convoy.

And just when you felt that you got through the entire drive without the use of the rope, one of the cars was crested on the top of a small ridge. Unfortunately @Tbone who was all geared up to handle his first recovery also got stuck with the rope fully extended. So we had to get a third car in, to recover the original stuck car and to free the rope. Other than that and a popout about 50 m from the exit, it was a perfect drive well complimented by the entire group of drivers.

To all the Newbies : @David Ortells @Islam Soliman @topgear @George Francis well done. Your confidence level is so much better than when you all have started off, and the real offroading fun begins from here.

To all the Fewbies, thank you for supporting the drive. Special mention to @Tbone who was active on the radio helping the cars that had refusals to self recover themselves, and ofcourse to @Vanessa8580, its always a pleasure having you onboard.

See you next week on the sand.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Thank you @Srikumar for giving me the sweeping position for a change. I am so used to be center forward so it was nice to have a change 😊

To be honest, I always have fun, no matter what position I am driving in. This drive was a good mix of a bit of everything, except for a lot of stucks and extensive shoveling, which I was happy with ! In about every drive for the last 4 weeks, we got a pop-out so I think I will become an expert in fixing pop-outs 😁

Everyone drove very well and I was happy so see a few new faces too. Some newbies, I didn't meet yet. 

See you next week in the sand !

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

A very cool drive ..It has been a long time and I always remembered Sri had a unique style .. I always enjoy @Srikumar 's driving style and paths ,quite different from other leads in the group . Overall everyone did great , with just a pop out and a crest . Images and video in the gallery as usual!

• Well Done (+2) 6

Important Information

Terms of use