•  
Advertise here

Heating issues on Pajero 99

Guys, 

I was finally able to get back to the desert with the new toy Pajero 3.5 SWB. I got a few things done prior to my drive but I did expect few things to pop up. I could really tell the difference between my Y61 and this in just few minutes. It felt very responsive.

@Gaurav bhai test drove it. Looks like it passed his initial test but to get it to the machine that I can rely on during our off-road adventures; need to get some upgrade done to it. 

Please help me with suggestions or tips on how to get it to stay cool. Thanks in advance.

20200706_190637.jpg

Edited by tjsingh
  • Like (+1) 2

With 80% needle spike on absolute newbie drive, definitely its not normal.

Ideal heat gauge needle stays at 45% and while off-roading with AC touches up to 55-60%. When in peak summer, with AC on it shoots above 60% so I drive without AC at times too, but that's normal for many cars, especially Jeep, Pajero, Pathfinder etc.

At first you need a bigger radiator, and my best advise is to go to engine cooling experts Dolphin and explain the spike and ask them to provide solution. They might suggest 3 or 4 core aluminium or cooper radiator, so let them make a suggestion, so you know what really is needed. Keep pushing them for there suggestions, being expert so if it fails or work half, they don't blame you that you asked for this and we gave u this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Congrats with the beautiful Pajero @tjsingh !

I would start with the essential first things and determine if the car is overheating while driving or mainly when idling. 

Following things to be checked:

- radiator, is it clogged or not. 

- thermostat still working properly.

- Clutch viscous fan.

- A/C fan.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

7 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

With 80% needle spike on absolute newbie drive, definitely its not normal.

Ideal heat gauge needle stays at 45% and while off-roading with AC touches up to 55-60%. When in peak summer, with AC on it shoots above 60% so I drive without AC at times too, but that's normal for many cars, especially Jeep, Pajero, Pathfinder etc.

At first you need a bigger radiator, and my best advise is to go to engine cooling experts Dolphin and explain the spike and ask them to provide solution. They might suggest 3 or 4 core aluminium or cooper radiator, so let them make a suggestion, so you know what really is needed. Keep pushing them for there suggestions, being expert so if it fails or work half, they don't blame you that you asked for this and we gave u this.

Great! Will check with them and the garage i go to; just to compare.

Thanks @Frederic! Will get these checked and keep you posted on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, tjsingh said:

Great! Will check with them and the garage i go to; just to compare.

Tbh, I wouldn't bother with your garage because if they couldn't spot this now, so they are just parts fixer and not "EXPERTS".

This engine cooling is a very serious issue and to get 100% right diagnose you ONLY need experts, then to get what they say you can decide with your mechanic or get three quotes anywhere outside.

My intention is to get right diagnose than wasting thousands and thousands on guesswork and keep this story going around for months and months.

If you can google or find any other """""GOOD"""" engine cooling experts, get their opinion too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

4 hours ago, tjsingh said:

Guys, 

I was finally able to get back to the desert with the new toy Pajero 3.5 SWB. I got a few things done prior to my drive but I did expect few things to pop up. I could really tell the difference between my Y61 and this in just few minutes. It felt very responsive.

@Gaurav bhai test drove it. Looks like it passed his initial test but to get it to the machine that I can rely on during our off-road adventures; need to get some upgrade done to it. 

Please help me with suggestions or tips on how to get it to stay cool. Thanks in advance.

20200706_190637.jpg

Congrats ! You said you could see difference in Y61 and Pajero. Pajero is more responsive. Does this mean SWB is even better than Y61/Super safari?

4 hours ago, RohanH said:

Congrats ! You said you could see difference in Y61 and Pajero. Pajero is more responsive. Does this mean SWB is even better than Y61/Super safari?

This SWB 3.5 Pajero drives totally different than a Super Safari, you cannot compare these vehicles as the Super Safari is powerful but very heavy, while the SWB Pajero has Power and agility because it’s a lot lighter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2005 Patrol weighs 2600 kg and deliver 245 hp (94 hp/ton).

1999 Pajero weighs 1800 kg and deliver 225 hp (125 hp/ton).

For sand power to weight ratio is KING, but again, these are just numbers for naysayers, because Patrol with 2000 hp climb higher so stock patrols are also made in heaven too.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

31 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

2005 Patrol weighs 2600 kg and deliver 245 hp (94 hp/ton).

1999 Pajero weighs 1800 kg and deliver 225 hp (125 hp/ton).

For sand power to weight ratio is KING, but again, these are just numbers for naysayers, because Patrol with 2000 hp climb higher so stock patrols are also made in heaven too.

Maybe start using a Subaru Impreza then it's 4wd with better power to weight ratio.

It's not only about on paper stats and pissing competitions. It's the overall package. 

Your experience is of your overweight 4.5 with the sucky manual box. Try a 4.8 VTC for a change.

Proper monster.

• Haha (+1) 2