•  

Jeep Wrangler 2 Door 2003 model

Shiju Manuel

One of my neighbour is selling his  Jeep Wrangler  2003 model ( AMERICAN SPEC)  due to loss of job. I have a double mind of getting this. I would like to get advice from experts and those who are using the same type. There is no cover on top and no idea how much it will cost to get canvas or hard cover.

https://uae.yallamotor.com/used-cars/jeep/wrangler/2003/used-jeep-wrangler-2-door-2003-1025113

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

Seems good, however I always had bad experience buying American spec cars. The 2003 model was one of the best Jeeps they ever produced with the Dana 44 Axles. However make sure you have a complete check and make sure it's not a 2WD.

BTW the canvas roof will cost you around AED 1500 and a used hard top will cost you around AED 4500. However I have heard with these old vehicles the hard top does not fit due to the rubber cracking. Plus it will get pretty hot even with the AC on full blast. All the best.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Seems good, however I always had bad experience buying American spec cars. The 2003 model was one of the best Jeeps they ever produced with the Dana 44 Axles. However make sure you have a complete check and make sure it's not a 2WD.

thanks @Rahimdad  for the advice, i will have a look and test drive tomorrow and update. Only concern about American spec. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

14 hours ago, Shiju Manuel said:

One of my neighbour is selling his  Jeep Wrangler  2003 model ( AMERICAN SPEC)  due to loss of job. I have a double mind of getting this. I would like to get advice from experts and those who are using the same type. There is no cover on top and no idea how much it will cost to get canvas or hard cover.

https://uae.yallamotor.com/used-cars/jeep/wrangler/2003/used-jeep-wrangler-2-door-2003-1025113

I have a 2004 model. Not US spec. It is a brilliant toy for the desert. I would buy that in a heartbeat if the price was max AED15k. My experience is that this engine is rock solid. It has a brilliant power to weight ratio.

Don't pay for the mods that have been done. You have no idea if they are any good for the type of driving you want to do.  

Be prepared to be driving a noisy, bumpy vehicle until you hit the desert. Additionally, I know you like to bring family and friends. This is not a vehicle where the people in the back sit comfortably (on or off road!). If you intend to bring your required kit, you will find that the space in the car is cramped and you will fast fun out of space. We drive with our back seat folded up all the time so we can get the equipment in (compressor, ropes, tool kit, shovel, etc all takes up sapce). 

On the cover. A canvas top will make this very hot to drive during the summer. We have a removable hard top and even with that the heat that refelcts inward from the roof is quite substantial. So make sure that the A/C is really working well otherwise you will fry. 

Open top seems a great idea until you are sitting waiting for a recovery to clear or you find yourself in a sand shower as you dig into the dune. 

Check the radiator and the fans at the front. REALLY WELL. That's the point in a jeep where you need to be sure that all the work is done and done well as jeeps overheat. If there is a modification there, it's worth a lot more than fancy tires or shovels on the bonnet (BTW that would be the fitst thing to go if this was my car. I do not want ever to risk a shovel hitting me head on because for some reason it came loose). 

Test drive it in the sand, not the road. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

14 hours ago, Shiju Manuel said:

One this is for sure this car looks so beautiful man. I am loving it. And I would rather drive it as it is than roof top. For deals on roof try dubizzle. 

Edited by RohanH
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

I have a 2004 model. Not US spec. It is a brilliant toy for the desert. I would buy that in a heartbeat if the price was max AED15k. My experience is that this engine is rock solid. It has a brilliant power to weight ratio.

Don't pay for the mods that have been done. You have no idea if they are any good for the type of driving you want to do.  

Be prepared to be driving a noisy, bumpy vehicle until you hit the desert. Additionally, I know you like to bring family and friends. This is not a vehicle where the people in the back sit comfortably (on or off road!). If you intend to bring your required kit, you will find that the space in the car is cramped and you will fast fun out of space. We drive with our back seat folded up all the time so we can get the equipment in (compressor, ropes, tool kit, shovel, etc all takes up sapce). 

On the cover. A canvas top will make this very hot to drive during the summer. We have a removable hard top and even with that the heat that refelcts inward from the roof is quite substantial. So make sure that the A/C is really working well otherwise you will fry. 

Open top seems a great idea until you are sitting waiting for a recovery to clear or you find yourself in a sand shower as you dig into the dune. 

Check the radiator and the fans at the front. REALLY WELL. That's the point in a jeep where you need to be sure that all the work is done and done well as jeeps overheat. If there is a modification there, it's worth a lot more than fancy tires or shovels on the bonnet (BTW that would be the fitst thing to go if this was my car. I do not want ever to risk a shovel hitting me head on because for some reason it came loose). 

Test drive it in the sand, not the road. 

Dear @Wrangeld thanks for your detailed advice, i will notify you once i done test drive and check all the points you have mentioned. By the way do you have any idea how much it cost for hard top ?? Thank you 👍😊

Edited by Shiju Manuel
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, RohanH said:

One this is for sure this car looks so beautiful man. I am loving it. And I would rather drive it as it is than roof top. For deals on roof try dubizzle. 

Hi, @RohanH car looks beautiful, even the paint is mat finish. But the main thing is suitable for driving in desert, the more ugly is more better in desert. 

• Like (+1) 3

With lifted springs, bigger tires, offroad lights, looks like it's nicely used/abused (god knows) in the desert.

If I am in your place, I would not buy this two main reasons: 1) US Specs 2) Already used in desert.

Often YJ are pushed to extreme in the desert, so buying beaten up car with job loss story/fact doesn't sympathize me, as it simply doesn't check my all boxes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

16 hours ago, Shiju Manuel said:

I would also go with what Gaurav said.. I would not even look at this considering its American spec + 195k mileage.  Also a good condition hard top will cost you anywhere between 6k - 7k and refurbished maybe 3k-4k . Keeping this in mind there are many clean ones out there .. I have a friend who is selling his TJ 2006 for 25k odd ( engine / gear warranty and new AC system ) . If you are interested , I can ask him for more details.

• Like (+1) 4

Important Information

Terms of use