•  
Advertise here

Changing from HT road tires to AT

i preferred Kumho AT 51 which i apparently found lighter than Geolander AT G015 . i use this link for tire research  https://tiresize.com/tires/ 

Kumhos (ATs) are underrated, but they have been performing really well for me. i would say bang for the buck.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Febin Frederic said:

@Rinelle Sanaani runs this. new pattern looks good. weighs around 20kg. its P rated not as aggressive as LT. road noise will be less and also under budget .

i recently installed it fo r 2 weeks now. The best thing about this is my tire road noise was lessen at least 90%. Big improvement also on the road pavement driving.. i really drive comfortably on the road now..  it it really rides well on the dunes last friday woth 10 psi.. i felt a bog difference from the 245.. 

Edited by Rinelle Sanaani
  • Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Review from @Xaf after using the Mastercraft Courser AXT:

My review after 10.000km usage:

- Compared to H/T tires more noise on the road, acceptable.

- Can go easily to 10 psi, didn’t try lower. No issues, hard core off-roading, sliding, wadis, till now no pop-outs/ cracks.

- I found them quite heavy compared to my H/T, but my H/T were 285/60 18, the Mastercrafts 285/70 17. I feel difference in performance, need a bit more momentum on dunes.

- Same company as coopers, same quality control. Price difference is probably to cover marketing costs for Cooper.

- Looks cool

EE9D8357-22CD-4104-9079-B4382777A414.jpeg

•  

I have the same Mastercraft AXT but its 315s and the same feedback as @Xaf . I am usually on 10psi , but found it even better going at 8psi.  Needed more momentum up the dunes - so to sum up:

1- 35 Tyres on stock differential 3.73 = lose engine power 
2- 35 Tyers on 4:10 differential = regain power lost 

I am doing the 4.1 ring and pinion this week ( expensive option)  . Lets see how it performs coming week.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, J J said:

I have the same Mastercraft AXT but its 315s and the same feedback as @Xaf . I am usually on 10psi , but found it even better going at 8psi.  Needed more momentum up the dunes - so to sum up:

I am doing the 4.1 ring and pinion this week ( expensive option)  . Lets see how it performs coming week.

35" tyres definitely need re-gearing. otherwise you won't be able to climb much more than a mole hill 😁

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

19 minutes ago, J J said:

supercharge it @J J 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

The Yokohoma’s Geolandar line-up is the most reliable and adaptable all-terrain line-up of the tyre, and its newest addition is Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. The G015 was manufacture to supplant the first AT-S that is at present a top-rated model in its very own right, the new G015 is made to up the overall performance in a few key zones.

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 utilizes an intense Enduro all-season tread design that incorporates orange oil and one of a kind cutting edge polymers that are intended to convey expanded footing on rough terrain, as well as have a longer enduring treadwear.

This model is intended to give you a more lovely driving experience than you may suspect. Triple 3-D sipes prompt expanded footing on wet or snowy roadways. Yokohama engineers made these sipes to change their shape as the tyre starts wearing out so as to keep on boosting footing and safety.

This new model handles ice surprisingly better than the more seasoned AT-S. Actually, Yokohama expresses that snow braking and overall handling of the vehicle on the snow is improved over 25% in comparison to A/T-S. [Still waiting for opportunities to take advantage of this here in UAE!]

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012

The Geolandar A/T-S G012 is entirely developed for splendid off-road experience thus giving the amazing off-road ability to 4X4. This tyre is truly a competent rough terrain tyre for regular driving.

The Geolandar A/T-S gives great off-road experience without prompting excessive noise or discomfort. 

Pros and cons

Here are some of the key pros and cons of both of the tyres:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

• Amazing footing on both on and off-road
  • Better performance in winter conditions
  • Prompts well-mannered highway driving
  • Longer enduring tread life
  • Is not an ideal tyre for seriously muddy conditions

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012

• Responsive Steering
  • Amazing off-road traction & durability
  • Longer lifespan of the tread
  • Amazing comfort level
  • Cornering while at high speed can be a bit soft

So maybe the differences are very slight and I should just go for the A/T instead? 

@Wrangeld my Pajero have Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tire brought 6 months back. When I brought this tire I do not have any intention of off-roading. What is the difference between Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 and Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tires ?? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Shiju Manuel said:

@Wrangeld my Pajero have Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tire brought 6 months back. When I brought this tire I do not have any intention of off-roading. What is the difference between Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 and Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tires ?? 

Funny you should ask @Shiju Manuelbecause I have Dunlop Grandtrek at the rear of the jeep. 

Side wall on the geo is stronger, yet more flexible in my view. Dunlop wears faster.  Slightly more road noise. Good traction off both.

Geo is at front and currently smaller size. I find they give good traction and less likelihood of popout. I have had two pop outs. The one on the front I could understand. On the back I felt the tire should have handled the weight and angle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

My personal anecdotal experience and you are free to disagree with my opinion 

Unfortunately you can't get them bigger than 16" and I doubt anything recent is using 16" wheels, also not sure if they are still available or not. But I haven't looked into them in years maybe a bigger size is available now, if they are still available.

Alternatively Michelin LTX, also discontinued but you can get LTX2 now but $$$ 2nd best tyres. Smooth as silk on road and float like a boat on sand with its light flexible rubber compound

Generally for sand ( IMO ) you need a smooth tread pattern which don't bite into the sand and dig, but rather float over it, unless you are entering into a hill climb competition with your 1000hp beast then you should be using paddle tyres

• Like (+1) 2