•  
Advertise here

Missing and Vibration after Wash, Rain or Heavy Fog

Dear Carnity,

I have a Ford Expedition 2006 it is a smooth ride and one of the most awesome thing I have driven. 

For Past 2 years it has been lovely drive still is until one day i decided  it needs a Full wash.

That where things went wrong.

I took all necessary precaution before the wash as per owners manual.

1. removed battery cables

2. covered all parts as explained in the manual.

3, Told the person in Grand Service station not use much water in the Engine Bay all this happened in September 2019

After the service the car started missing for some time than was okay. 

Next Morning was Horrible Missing and Vibration but as the car warmed up all was normal for 3 days I had this problem then all was well. During the Rainy reason I was doing water splashing with kids fun in rain sort of thing it happened again then all was clam, now during the Fog this problem keeps coming up. Even after normal service (without washing Engine Bay) this problem keep happening.

Once the car is warmed up its normal again. (NO Check Engine comes on) but it stalls and starts missing.

I dont understand why. Please advice

Edited by DiamondDallas
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, DiamondDallas said:

Dear Carnity,

I have a Ford Expedition 2006 it a smooth ride and one of the most awesome thing I have driven. 

For Past 2 years it has been lovely drive still is until one day i decided  it needs a Full wash.

That were things went wrong.

I took all precaution before the wash as per owners manual.

1. removed battery cables

2. covered all parts as explained in the manual.

3, Told the person in Grand Service station not use much water in the Engine Bay all this happened in September 2019

After the service the car started missing for some time than was ok. 

Next Morning was Horrible Missing and Vibration but as the car warmed up all was normal for 3 days I had this problem then all was well. During the Rainy reason I was doing water splashing with kids fun in rain sort of thing it happened again then all was clam, now during the Fog this problem keeps coming up. Even after normal service (without washing Engine Bay) this problem keep happening.

Once the car is warmed up its normal again. (NO Check Engine comes on) but it stalls and starts missing.

I dont understand why. Please advice

This sounds to me like water is entering the distribution cap, spark cables, or it could be just entering in a connector of a MAF sensor.

My advise would be:

- Thoroughly inspect every connector you see in the engine bay. If the connector has exposed or loose wires, look no further.

- Get the workshop to inspect / replace spark plug cables. 

Every older car is sensitive to water. I have the same thing with my 99 Pajero who doesnt like water in the engine bay. Why people would even wash the engine bay is a mystery to me. Take a synthetic cloth with some soft detergent and clean the engine components but powerwashing the engine bay is NEVER a good idea.

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

6 minutes ago, Frederic said:

This sounds to me like water is entering the distribution cap, spark cables, or it could be just entering in a connector of a MAF sensor.

My advise would be:

- Thoroughly inspect every connector you see in the engine bay. If the connector has exposed or loose wires, look no further.

- Get the workshop to inspect / replace spark plug cables. 

Every older car is sensitive to water. I have the same thing with my 99 Pajero who doesnt like water in the engine bay. Why people would even wash the engine bay is a mystery to me. Take a synthetic cloth with some soft detergent and clean the engine components but powerwashing the engine bay is NEVER a good idea.

My Mistake I agree I just saw some green mold growing on A/C tube and thought of doing this stupidity.

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like an ignition could get wet.

Expedition, Triton engine? They have a habit of spitting our spark plugs see of you model year is affected by this. Could be a spark plug loose in the socket letting in moisture andd when the motor warms up things expand and create a temp seal

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1