•  
Advertise here

Help choosing my first car in Dubai!

Bhaskar

Hello people! 

This is Bhaskar here. It's been just about 7 months that I've settled in Dubai and just last week I've got my driver's license! I am sure you'd be able to relate to the excitement I am having in wanting to get my first car in Dubai! :) Joined the Carnity forum just a few hours back and thought would be good to get multiple perspectives here! 

So I am quite a bit of 'want it all' types but after some deliberation have made the list of my criteria -

1. A compact crossover / 4X4, I am not a hardcore off-road enthusiast but my wife & I like going for hikes, try some new stuff. 
  2. Good infotainment + interior tech + sunroof, like to enjoy the drives!  
  3. Given that most of my driving would be home to office, a good on-road drive.
  4. Some peace of mind - not too old, decent FE, cheap to service, in-warranty, reliability and all that. 

With this, now I am somewhat all over the place and these are the cars I am considering based on the used cars available on multiple platforms -

1. Kia Sportage AWD GT Line (2018),
  2. Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Limited (2018 / 19),
  3. Jeep Compass Limited (2019).
  4. Was considering Honda CRV as well but drove a Honda (Civic) for the past 3 years so just want a change of brand.

And yeah, my budget is around 85K tops. 

After all this context setting, here are some questions that I have: 

1. What's your take on the cars I am considering?  
  2. What other cars do you think I should consider? 
  3. Have heard Jeep servicing and parts are quite expensive, specially with AF Trading Enterprises. How true is this? Any first hand experiences? 
  4. Are Cherokee & Compass good on-road? 

Look forward to the responses! 

Thanks in advance! 

• Like (+1) 3

Yes Jeeps can be expensive to maintain but you are talking about quite new cars. You can get extended warranty to have peace of mind. Cherokee & Compass only good for on-road. They are not off roaders. 

For 85.000 budget i would look in to Toyota FJ cruiser if you need something cheap to maintain. It is fully off road capable and at the same time very nice to drive on road. One downsize very bad visibility. 

• Like (+1) 3

look at this.  

Its a 2020 full option model. you get all the bells and whistles, 

i think it will tick all your requirements, 

best part is the price...  straight 40K discount compared to dealer,  

https://tnydu.biz/DOyqHc

image.png.a2bf15988a6b6868a30ac6e594b90980.png

• Like (+1) 3

Hi Bhaskar, welcome to Carnity and congrats on getting your driving license, that too in 7 months.

Though you drafted your car buying concern quiet nicely, but before I proceed let me just bring one last game-changer point of view from being a car enthusiast + off-roader in Dubai.

Read the topic below and ask yourself what type of offroading you and your wife are expecting from this new vehicle.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thank you @sertac! Just a follow-up question, even with the Trailhawk badge, the Cherokee is not good off-road? 

I did think of FJ as such, but since it's phased out by Toyota, not sure of it. 

• Like (+1) 2

@Gaurav

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum! 

Unfortunately I can't see the topic you referred to in your response. It says 'we can't show the content as you don't have the permission to see it'. 

Possible to share it as text? 

Thanks again! appreciate the help! 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bhaskar said:

Thank you @sertac! Just a follow-up question, even with the Trailhawk badge, the Cherokee is not good off-road? 

Many badging are just for marketing and advertising department. Unless you modify and/or protect under body properly Jeep Grand Cherokee have few week spots.

@Brette can share his views as an owner + offroader.

For FJC, visibility is not so bad as people scare about, if you are interested, I suggest test drive few and decide. FJC can really tick all boxes + extreme offroading with "Toyota Reliability" (Really a blessing and a big deal) for UAE extreme temperature.

For FJC being discontinued model, don't worry too much as all car models once discontinue will have full dealer support with parts and maintenance for 10-15 years easy. If you like to go this route call up Al Futtaim and check what is their official stand on supporting FJC until 2025 or 2030.

4 minutes ago, Bhaskar said:

Unfortunately I can't see the topic you referred to in your response. It says 'we can't show the content as you don't have the permission to see it'. 

Because it was a part of an off-road club based on off-road subscription.

Moved to general discussion, you should be able to access it now.

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks for the clarity on the FJC & the access to SUVs post @Gaurav

Edited by Bhaskar
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Bhaskar said:

If it was Grand Cherokee you could off road it with some modifications. Cherokee and Compass are just Fiat with Jeep badge. You can off road them until certain point. Like you can enter the unpaved roads etc. But you cant take it to dune bashing.

I remember 3 years ago there was a guy came with shiny Cherokee and in one day he brake all the under body plastic covers. 

@Gaurav he is actually talking about Cherokee not Grand Cherokee. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sertac said:

@Gaurav he is actually talking about Cherokee not Grand Cherokee. 

Sorry my bad, thanks for clarifying.

• Like (+1) 2