•  

COVID19 Compliant - Intermediate Morning Desert Drive - Al Faqa - Dubai - 31 Jul 2020

Srikumar

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: BAN POST

Two Way Radio Guidelines

• Every Offroader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

Drive Details

Level:  Intermediate and Above

When:  July 31 2020, Friday.

Meeting time: 5:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/3dj9y2kJT94CJwBX8

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 09:00 AM

End Point: Solar Innovation Center

THIS IS A COMPRESSOR ONLY DRIVE. WE WILL STARTING AND ENDING THE DRIVE AT THE SAME POINT, WHICH IS NOT CLOSE TO AN AIR LINE. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A COMPRESSOR, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS DRIVE. IF YOU ARRIVE AND HAVE NO COMPRESSOR YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO JOIN THE DRIVE. 

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • 1 Lead Marshal + 1 Senior Members + 10 Members.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

DRIVE RSVP IS CLOSED

Convoy Numbering :

1. Srikumar - Lead
2. Vanessa - Second Lead
3. Rinelle Sanaani
4. Najeeb
5. Febin Frederic
6. Tbone
7. Colin Jordan
8. Mels Wolf
9. Ale Vallecchi - Sweep

We would be using Channel 2 for tomorrow's drive.

Planned a long route for tomorrow. So see you tomorrow on the sand at 5:00 AM SHARP.

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Najeeb Mohammed said:

Sorry guys I couldn’t wake up 

Yup, we missed you. See you next time.

10 hours ago, Rinelle Sanaani said:

Guys.. the gps navigation lead me to lehbab. 

M currently here.. sorry guys.. 

Did you click on the right meeting point link? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Yup, we missed you. See you next time.

Did you click on the right meeting point link? 

He he, I was well prepared and got up at 3o clock, but without my knowledge I fell in sleep again, and the disappointment I cannot express when I woke up at 4.40.. anyways lot of pressure from family to have some family time so better i will spend more time with family this holidays...  

• Haha (+1) 1

TRIP REPORT

Faqa is an amazing terrain for Intermediate drives as it offers some nice tall and long dunes that are well spread out. And when you have an eager bunch of Intermediates (and above) you know that its going to be a fun day.

Except for @Najeeb Mohammed who overslept (and I appreciate you informing us as well so as to not wait) and @Rinelle Sanaani everyone made it well on time. As we are getting into the second half of the year, the sunrise is getting delayed and that gave us a bit of headsup to enter the desert on some flat tracks under the offroad lights. 

@Vanessa8580 was my second lead and from the expression on her face she really enjoyed being up the convoy for a change. @Ale Vallecchi was my sweep with @Febin Frederic, @Tbone @Colin Jordan and @Mels Wolf formed the remaining of the convoy.

We started in some areas that had a bit of technical dunes which tested the entire convoy resulting in multiple refusals. However, we were quickly able to find our way into the depths of Faqa. And from here the drive became extremely smooth with lots of side slopping, criss crossing and ridge riding. So smooth, that we covered about 71 kms in about a 3.5 hour drive (including stops). That showed the strength of the convoy. 

@Vanessa8580 did a splendid job in second lead by keeping the right amount gap and pace, with rerouting where required. Its always good to have you on my convoy.

@Febin Frederic well driven today considering it was only your second Intermediate drive. Keep practicing your steering control and approach towards the dune for a more smoother criss crossing.

@Tbone well driven today. You are a good learner as you listened to the instructions and did exactly the same.

@Colin Jordan who brought his Ram and had all the power at his feet. One press of the pedal and off he went leaving @Mels Wolf to reroute to avoid the ditch created by the Ram's wheel. With the Ram, all the dunes were made quite easy and it was good fun seeing the truck ridge riding and crisscrossing on the dunes.

@Mels Wolf didnt break a sweat in his 3.5 Pajero. The most underpowered car in the convoy but at no point do you realize that, as you are in completely sync with your ride. This automatically shows with how you builds the momentum and approach the dune in the right manner. 

And finally a big thanks to @Ale Vallecchi for supporting this drive. For me my mission was that I dont overexert you before your evening drive. And for that, we need to thank the entire convoy for being so fantastic that you were able to relax and coast at the back of the convoy.

Thank you everyone for a fun morning. See you next time. .

• Like (+1) 5
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

@Srikumar m so sorry, i wasnt able to make it to the correct  meeting point..i arrived to the wrong location 10min  before the meeting time.. i was going round and round looking for the group..  

When i double checked the location..it was a wrong location.. 

• Like (+1) 1

As expected, an amazing morning drive, personally i enjoyed a lot. Perhaps its the terrain which showed up untouched. Also i am glad that i could help in recoveries. 

Best part is we kept a good pace throughout the drive, kudos to entire convoy, special mention to @Srikumar who led us through some extremely challenging dunes of soft sand.

Another personal challenge was testing my new cooper 33's on sand and they didn't disappoint me. Felt really easy to climb with the traction it has. But I'd need to build some confidence on sharp turns with these.

Ps: some photos are being uploaded in gallery 

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use