•  

COVID19 Compliant - Intermediate Morning Desert Drive - Al Faqa - Dubai - 31 Jul 2020

Srikumar

19 hours ago, Srikumar said:

TRIP REPORT

Faqa is an amazing terrain for Intermediate drives as it offers some nice tall and long dunes that are well spread out. And when you have an eager bunch of Intermediates (and above) you know that its going to be a fun day.

Except for @Najeeb Mohammed who overslept (and I appreciate you informing us as well so as to not wait) and @Rinelle Sanaani everyone made it well on time. As we are getting into the second half of the year, the sunrise is getting delayed and that gave us a bit of headsup to enter the desert on some flat tracks under the offroad lights. 

@Vanessa8580 was my second lead and from the expression on her face she really enjoyed being up the convoy for a change. @Ale Vallecchi was my sweep with @Febin Frederic, @Tbone @Colin Jordan and @Mels Wolf formed the remaining of the convoy.

We started in some areas that had a bit of technical dunes which tested the entire convoy resulting in multiple refusals. However, we were quickly able to find our way into the depths of Faqa. And from here the drive became extremely smooth with lots of side slopping, criss crossing and ridge riding. So smooth, that we covered about 71 kms in about a 3.5 hour drive (including stops). That showed the strength of the convoy. 

@Vanessa8580 did a splendid job in second lead by keeping the right amount gap and pace, with rerouting where required. Its always good to have you on my convoy.

@Febin Frederic well driven today considering it was only your second Intermediate drive. Keep practicing your steering control and approach towards the dune for a more smoother criss crossing.

@Tbone well driven today. You are a good learner as you listened to the instructions and did exactly the same.

@Colin Jordan who brought his Ram and had all the power at his feet. One press of the pedal and off he went leaving @Mels Wolf to reroute to avoid the ditch created by the Ram's wheel. With the Ram, all the dunes were made quite easy and it was good fun seeing the truck ridge riding and crisscrossing on the dunes.

@Mels Wolf didnt break a sweat in his 3.5 Pajero. The most underpowered car in the convoy but at no point do you realize that, as you are in completely sync with your ride. This automatically shows with how you builds the momentum and approach the dune in the right manner. 

And finally a big thanks to @Ale Vallecchi for supporting this drive. For me my mission was that I dont overexert you before your evening drive. And for that, we need to thank the entire convoy for being so fantastic that you were able to relax and coast at the back of the convoy.

Thank you everyone for a fun morning. See you next time. .

Thanks @Srikumar for the great drive. It's very useful, especially for me as a new leader, and for any driver in general, to understand, and learn, what constitutes an Intermediate drive Vs. the others, how the trails can be made more challenging, and what is expected from all the drivers in the convoy. And very enjoyable as well, with no overexertion whatsoever. Thanks to you, and all the drivers in the convoy, who did respond to all the challenges of the long and fast itinerary with really minimal issues.

Important Information

Terms of use