•  
Advertise here

Air compressor buying choices

RohanH

Guys - I've got an ARB twin piston installed onboard my car, it was working great until recently it started blowing fuses, the ARB provided fuses are 30A which I replaced by two 70A and were blown today whilst I was inflating, luckily I had 4 spares and could finish inflating.

Anyway, would you know of or could anyone recommend a good car electrician to have a look at it?  I searched in Internet and there are quite a few, but instead of picking up one blindly or just by reading reviews, I am more inclined to go by a recommendation.

As to the topic of this discussion, and based on this recent experience with the fuses, I would also suggest to keep a back up compressor, perhaps a cheaper (but capable) one.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Guys - I've got an ARB twin piston installed onboard my car, it was working great until recently it started blowing fuses, the ARB provided fuses are 30A which I replaced by two 70A and were blown today whilst I was inflating, luckily I had 4 spares and could finish inflating.

Anyway, would you know of or could anyone recommend a good car electrician to have a look at it?  I searched in Internet and there are quite a few, but instead of picking up one blindly or just by reading reviews, I am more inclined to go by a recommendation.

As to the topic of this discussion, and based on this recent experience with the fuses, I would also suggest to keep a back up compressor, perhaps a cheaper (but capable) one.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Hi @Mario Cornejo If the ARB twin piston is installed in your vehicle, I wouldnt be surprised that the power cable they used is far too small, resulting in overheating cable, resulting in higher cable resistance, and as a result higher amps.

Can you share some photos of the power cable that is connected to the battery ? It should be 10-16mm2 at least.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

18 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Mario Cornejo If the ARB twin piston is installed in your vehicle, I wouldnt be surprised that the power cable they used is far too small, resulting in overheating cable, resulting in higher cable resistance, and as a result higher amps.

Can you share some photos of the power cable that is connected to the battery ? It should be 10-16mm2 at least.

Hi @Frederic here are the photos.

20210115_201027.jpg

20210115_201112.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi @Frederic here are the photos.

20210115_201027.jpg

20210115_201112.jpg

So this is the ARB wiring loom set, so wire thickness is not the issue. 

- Are you running the engine while using the compressor ? (you should as it needs 13.8 Volts)

- Do you see anything molten or loose insulation on the wiring ?

- If ARB provide two fuses of each 30 amps, replacing them with 70 amps might have damaged the compressor. According to the spec sheet the unit draws 50 amps under load (2 x 25 A). 

- Are both fuses blowing ? Maybe try once with new 30 amps fuses and put one at a time to test each side.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

48 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Are you running the engine while using the compressor ? (you should as it needs 13.8 Volts)

- Do you see anything molten or loose insulation on the wiring ?

- If ARB provide two fuses of each 30 amps, replacing them with 70 amps might have damaged the compressor. According to the spec sheet the unit draws 50 amps under load (2 x 25 A). 

- Are both fuses blowing ? Maybe try once with new 30 amps fuses and put one at a time to test each side.

Hi Frederic - yes I operate the compressor with engine running and A/C on.  The compressor is still working.  I will try once again with 30A fuses, thanks for the advice!

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 year later...

Hello.  I am getting out of the desert driving scene and have a 1 year old, 2 cylinder, dragon mart compressor that I want to sell.  Used about a dozen times.  It does inflate tires quickly.   Have had zero issues with it.    If anyone is interested they can contact me WhatsApp 58 586 6597.  Also have a flag and suction mount.   Hopefully I am not violating some Carnity rule by posting this… 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Important Information

Terms of use