•  
Advertise here

Air compressor buying choices

RohanH

23 minutes ago, Frederic said:

This is perfectly normal @RohanH. There is no compressor in the world that can show an accurate reading while it is inflating. You need to stop the compressor so the pressure can equalize.

Enoc / Eppco / Adnoc / Emarat do show while inflating ;-) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

Enoc / Eppco / Adnoc / Emarat do show while inflating ;-) 

Nope, it stops at certain intervals (pulse width modulation) to reach the desired pressure. 

An example:

Setpoint is 36 Psi. The moment you connect your tyre it measures the actual (for example 10 psi). Then the system understands it needs to go from 10 to 36 and will use a pre-calculated interval time. The compressor will start running for at least 10-15 seconds non-stop, then it will pause for a second to take the reading, then restart with a shorter stop-start interval until it reaches 36 psi.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, RohanH said:

Hey, I used the compressor today. It is fast. And I think with 5 yrs warranty. I didn't use remote. The only thing which bothered me is these king of compressors, shows high PSI when connected and on as soon as I switched it off with still connected to tyre, it was showing right reading. I need to recheck it tomorrow. We both are in fewbie drive tomorrow. You can check it.

Yup as Fred said it's perfectly normal whole inflating. I just use to note what pressure my gauge is at while pumping when it's 35. 

I remember my ARB pump the gauge would show 45-50 ish meant it's almost done. 

So do it once see what pressure the gauge is at when pumping when your have reached the required pressure. 

This way you can carry on withoit stopping every now and then to check.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the cheapest 259 AED two-cylinder compressor at ACE. Used yesterday on a newbie drive. Was very happy after the first tire, the second was slower, the third tire slowly reached 29 psi, stopped for a while and then started to deflate (I caught it when it was 26). Thanks to ACE, they just made a refund.
Ordered MeanMother today from revonauto

PHOTO-2020-08-27-14-31-13.jpg

Edited by Ilya Golubinsky
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

The Big Grunter was also my first compressor. They should change the name to Big disappointment.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

You won't be disappointed! Been using my MM for a few drives now and it's a solid investment. Went from 13 to 32 psi in about 70 seconds. No sweat. 

When they give it to you make sure you test the remote in store. Mine wasn't working so it means another trip back all the way from RAK 😕

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Just my two cents:

Brands/ Models  to avoid:
- X-cessories. These are just Chinese rebranded compressors that are being sold with a pretty big mark up. 

- Mini compressors to connect to cigarette lighter: Will last only a few drives. Not made to inflate from 15 to 35psi, unless you want to wait for 45mins or longer. Will overheat easily because of  this.

Acceptable / Good:

Camel Brand compressors from Dragon Mart: Mixed reviews. Some last a few months, some easily last two years and longer. They are not expensive, fast, but very loud. But they get the job done.

Premium Models: ( 1 to 5 year warranty)

- TJM , Viair ( or Bushranger), MeanMother, Smittybilt, ARB

What to look after when buying a compressor ?

1) Warranty. A premium brand should provide 4-5 years warranty which will make the higher price worthwhile.

2) Output in liters per minute (lpm). The more the better of course. Everything from 40lpm upwards should be fine. Some will show a rating in cfm (cubic feet per minute). 2.3 cfm = 65lpm.

3) Duty Cycle: Air compressors heat up when running so most have a limited consistent output before they need to stop and cool off. This run time in-between cycles is called a duty cycle. Manufacturers typically represent run time with a number, such as “20”, which means you can run the compressor for 20 minutes every hour. sometimes they show a percentage. 20 minutes would indicate a 33% duty cycle. Keep this in mind when you are using the compressor every week. Avoid exceeding the duty cycle time as in a short period of time it would overheat / destroy the compressor.

4) Quality of the coiled hose, pressure gauge. 

5) inline fuse and thermal overload protection. Will come standard with premium models.

Below a specs example of Bushranger Black Max:

image.png.2136a705b277f5fed55382d832f89d2c.png

Duty cycle is 30 minutes @40psi at 24°C ambient temperature. Obviously the ambient temperature will be much higher for us here in the UAE, so you will need to take that into account. Keep the compressor in the shade while using (or even on the inside of the car if possible) and keep your engine running. These compressors are rated to work most efficiently at 13.8 Volts, so your alternator should be running. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use