Jump to content

Best 4x4 cars | Dune bashing | Off road driving | Off road drives | Off road gears and recovery tools | Radio frequencies |

Chaitanya D

Recovering on Side Slope

Recommended Posts

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback and suggestions. 

Last drive with @Ale Vallecchi, I was behind @Anish S who was driving very well. But when we entered little sweihan in one soft spot on side slope Anish was stuck and I was quite behind and with my momentum I was able to go above (3 to 4 cars distance)and clear. I am not sure if it was wise but I made that decision in split second considering the momentum I had or else we would have been stuck one above other.@Wrangeld had the best visual probably. 

@Frederic recovered Anish from side slope with a tug, which I could not visualize as I was way ahead in front.  

Hence this topic came in my mind for better understanding.  

 

 

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like 2
  • Well Done 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chaitanya D as a general practice if you see the car in front of you struggling especially on a side slope never overtake it from the top or bottom as you can very easily be dragged and hit the struggling car. Always exit before the struggling car 

I have personally witnessed such an incident at a Newbie Qudra drive when a car was trying to overtake the struggling car on a side slope, lost the momentum and banged into the car in front. To top it one of the car which was damaged was a Range Rover. And in a more recent Qudra drive we had a similar incident were almost two cars collided.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Totally Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback and suggestions. 

Last drive with @Ale Vallecchi, I was behind @Anish S who was driving very well. But when we entered little sweihan in one soft spot on side slope Anish was stuck and I was quite behind and with my momentum I was able to go above (3 to 4 cars distance)and clear. I am not sure if it was wise but I made that decision in split second considering the momentum I had or else we would have been stuck one above other.@Wrangeld had the best visual probably. 

@Frederic recovered Anish from side slope with a tug, which I could not visualize as I was way ahead in front.  

Hence this topic came in my mind for better understanding.  

We love questions and interaction like this. I was actually too far behind to see the stuck as I was sweep, however I did see the recovery. 

One reason for the tug from @Frederic was the time. We were already losing light so wanted to ger everyone clear before the light faded. 

I think you raise another important issue. You should try never to be so close that you are committed to go past someone else in the convoy. Yes, you made it past - but that's luck and you might not be so lucky next time. There was a safe place to wait until the way was clear where you would not have been stuck .. as did @Lorenzo Candelpergher and @Jorge Stepniak Felippe

On this one, @Anish S was front heavy which is why the light tug worked (even though it was very soft). 

  • Like 3
  • Totally Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

@Chaitanya D as a general practice if you see the car in front of you struggling especially on a side slope never overtake it from the top or bottom as you can very easily be dragged and hit the struggling car. Always exit before the struggling car 

Totally agree @Srikumar. But frankly as I said it was a very tight pocket like situation and I was above from the entry to exit. It was getting a bit dark, we were getting into slightly tighter spots and probably only when I entered from a small crest I realized the other car was getting stuck.Radio communication was spot on but there was some lag due to the situation we were in. Lorenzo and Jorge were behind me.I Was very sure I wasn't losing any momentum and hence went ahead - probably not a very good judgement in hindsight now!

But I will keep your advise in mind,  and try to keep more distance in future. 

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like 1
  • Well Done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaitanya D said:

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback and suggestions. 

Last drive with @Ale Vallecchi, I was behind @Anish S who was driving very well. But when we entered little sweihan in one soft spot on side slope Anish was stuck and I was quite behind and with my momentum I was able to go above (3 to 4 cars distance)and clear. I am not sure if it was wise but I made that decision in split second considering the momentum I had or else we would have been stuck one above other.@Wrangeld had the best visual probably. 

@Frederic recovered Anish from side slope with a tug, which I could not visualize as I was way ahead in front.  

Hence this topic came in my mind for better understanding.  

 

 

I do not think you had much option @Chaitanya D, it was a tricky terrain. I actually lost momentum and i had to quickly descend which caused the lost of visual on me because the descend made me quite off track.... though i was descending, the sand was so soft  and i was getting closer a pocket that i ended up getting stuck. Secondly, when i was announcing on the radio i saw you were already crossing and i do not think you had any safe spot to stop at that point.

  • Totally Agree 1
  • Well Done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Anish S said:

Secondly, when i was announcing on the radio i saw you were already crossing and i do not think you had any safe spot to stop at that point.

That's why it's important to keep the right amount of gap, not too much and not too less. It's a balance that will come as you drive more and more.

And if you mention that Chaitanya was this close then he might as well give full gas and exit out. Not an ideal situation to be in but as long as there is no damage all is well that ends well.

  • Like 2
  • Totally Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For replying to this topic, please

Subscribe and then join Offroad Club.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use