•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Pink Rock - Sharjah - 7 Aug 2020

Srikumar

Very enjoyable drive and valuable lessons today. As I was following  @Srikumar his driving, steering input was so smooth and effortless. At times I had to ‘wrestle’ with the steering and throttle to replicate similar lines😅

Edited by topgear
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Jeandre Bezuidenhout said:

Really enjoyed this drive! @Srikumar I tried your advice on tyre pressures and it worked like a charm during the evening drive later the day!👍

What was the advice on tyre pressures @Jeandre Bezuidenhout?

• Like (+1) 2

TRIP REPORT

Pick Rock is one of my favorite areas for Newbie and Fewbie drives and hence there is always a lot of excitement which makes me want to reach early. Everyone made it on time barring a couple of guys who came in about 5 minutes late. 

An important point for everyone is that once you have crossed the stage of Absolute Newbie you need to get the minimum gear which is specified for the Newbie rank. This is not optional but a Mandatory requirement. Also please test or practice using your gear before the drive. This is out of pure courtesy to the rest of the member's time.

We started off entering from the 2nd December cafeteria which gave everyone the chance to try scale Pink Rock in the cooler weather. The Newbies who had completed 4 drives with Carnity were given the opportunity and they made the most of it.  There was a little bit of fishtailing on the first attempt which they corrected in the second and third attempt. 

After playing for about 30 minutes, we moved in the direction of Big Red. The red sand during sunrise is an amazing view especially if you get on top of one of the higher dunes. Makes it absolutely worth getting up so early in the morning. 

@topgear was my second lead. He did wonderfully well in keeping the necessary distance and communicating clearly with me on the radio. 

@Newton Rozario was my sweep and it was nice to hear the continuous communication from his side about the convoy position which is very essential in big convoys. 

@Sreejith Sreenivasan in his LR2 for me was a revelation. Other than a pop-out which took about 10 minutes to fix, he drove extremely well in many areas that I felt he wouldn't be able to make it. Well done.

@Ammar Naji with the mighty Ford Expedition has improved a lot from his first AN drive and is able to harness the power of his V8 in a better manner. One advice is that when you are in a stuck position, too much of gas doesn't help especially in your car as with the weight you will dig in fast. You need to keep the gas at 1500 rpm max when you are trying to self recover. It was great to see the team effort put in by everyone to help shovel during that one stuck towards the end of the drive. 

@Vineeth John Joseph was probably the quietest guy in the entire convoy and with just a couple of refusals managed very well through the entire drive. Nicely done buddy.

The wrangler boys @Vijaysekhar @Taha Elghuel @h1fny @Neale Faulkner @Onlyjunaid @Jeandre Bezuidenhout @Hennie Schoeman glided and sailed through most of the dunes with the utmost of ease. Good job. 

Special mention to @Nivin who supported the drive and was actively involved in all the recoveries and helping the other drivers when needed. Thank you.

For me, it was personally a near Perfect Newbie drive where we covered some good ground through the dunes in some nice weather. See you next weekend. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Important Information

Terms of use