•  
Advertise here

Air Intake Upgrade

Guys I need advice ...

Do I really need to invest on modifying my Air Intake to gain more horse power in order to avoid refusals in climbing uphill on loose sands?

I have a Wrangler JK 2010 model with 202 HP. 

Thanks for your fruitful advices.

11 minutes ago, Jun Zamora said:

Guys I need advice ...

Do I really need to invest on modifying my Air Intake to gain more horse power in order to avoid refusals in climbing uphill on loose sands?

I have a Wrangler JK 2010 model with 202 HP. 

Thanks for your fruitful advices.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. 

Your stock air intake is totally fine, and 200hp in a Short Wheelbase Wrangler is plenty enough to get you through every terrain.

On top of that, modifications to air intake (cold air intake or others) will only give marginal improvements. (few percent)...negligible.

Remember that doing hill climbs in soft summer sand are very difficult. 

More improvements can be made with good off-road tyres, lower deflation, and practice practice practice to find the ideal gear and technique. 

Are you sure the original horses are still alive and kicking ? 
- injectors, spark plugs, dirty MAF sensor, compression issues

these are all potential horsepower killers if not in the best condition.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

A cold air intake without a tune doesn't do anything. But still you can't expect a significant power increase out of it unless you go with a force induction . Jeeps are not race cars,  the oem air intakes are less restrictive and tuned to optimize the performance.

But if u r looking for more sound from under the hood, then go for it. I have one installed in my jeep(experimental) . But i don't notice any performance gain , may be its too minimal to notice and that too in higher rpm where you don't drive often, though they makes a lovely throaty sound. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT. 

Your stock air intake is totally fine, and 200hp in a Short Wheelbase Wrangler is plenty enough to get you through every terrain.

On top of that, modifications to air intake (cold air intake or others) will only give marginal improvements. (few percent)...negligible.

Remember that doing hill climbs in soft summer sand are very difficult. 

More improvements can be made with good off-road tyres, lower deflation, and practice practice practice to find the ideal gear and technique. 

Are you sure the original horses are still alive and kicking ? 
- injectors, spark plugs, dirty MAF sensor, compression issues

these are all potential horsepower killers if not in the best condition.

Really appreciate this @Frederic !  Your suggestions just saved me from spending 1600 dhs this week. I absolutely agree on focusing on my tires instead and working to find the ideal gear and techniques. I do think that the sand also made it more challenging for the jeep.

I'll make sure to get my horses checked this week. :D Again, thanks for the great recommendations!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Febin Frederic said:

A cold air intake without a tune doesn't do anything. But still you can't expect a significant power increase out of it unless you go with a force induction . Jeeps are not race cars,  the oem air intakes are less restrictive and tuned to optimize the performance.

But if u r looking for more sound from under the hood, then go for it. I have one installed in my jeep(experimental) . But i don't notice any performance gain , may be its too minimal to notice and that too in higher rpm where you don't drive often, though they makes a lovely throaty sound. 

Thanks for sharing your insights on this @Febin Frederic , while the throaty sound makes it enticing I think for now I'll focus more on improving the performance. It's really great to hear opinions from you guys, rather than just from my mechanic. Thanks again! 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Rinelle Sanaani said:

@Jun Zamora just believe in ur jeep.. then believe in urself.. step on the gas full throttle and go....

Agree bro! 👍 Thanks! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm glad you ask this question and everyone above has helped you enough with the best of the knowledge.

Air filter alone is enough to make your throttle more responsive (which you will feel) but wont add any or much hp without tune up and other power mods like headers, exhaust, straight pipes, high performance plugs and wires etc.

I love what Fredy mentioned as many times, used car or 4x4 owner run behind big names and big mods and often miss the basics that can actually add lost hp just by fixing those basics.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 hours ago, Jun Zamora said:

Really appreciate this @Frederic !  Your suggestions just saved me from spending 1600 dhs this week. I absolutely agree on focusing on my tires instead and working to find the ideal gear and techniques. I do think that the sand also made it more challenging for the jeep.

I'll make sure to get my horses checked this week. :D Again, thanks for the great recommendations!

@Jun Zamora initially when I started driving xterra I was getting stuck everywhere even on flat surfaces.  Members here who tugged me could remember.🤣

Once after few drives I realized that my driving style needs some change , lower deflating with AT tyres and also the paths u take . Dont go to garages who do a lot of mods at hefty prices for little benefits practically.

Off course mods make the car look good and more aggressive  but you can do the same soon with the Jeep you have. 

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Chaitanya D said:

@Jun Zamora initially when I started driving xterra I was getting stuck everywhere even on flat surfaces.  Members here who tugged me could remember.🤣

Once after few drives I realized that my driving style needs some change , lower deflating with AT tyres and also the paths u take . Dont go to garages who do a lot of mods at hefty prices for little benefits practically.

Off course mods make the car look good and more aggressive  but you can do the same soon with the Jeep you have. 

@Chaitanya agree with this , thanks for your input.

• Like (+1) 1