•  
Advertise here

Driver convicted for using touch screen controls

Barry

A driver in Germany has been convicted of using a restricted electronic device while driving after having a crash. The car is question was a Tesla Model 3. It was raining and the driver was adjusting the speed of the intermittent wipers which can only been done through the touch screen.

With so many cars having HVAC systems, radios and many other things controlled through the new wave of touch screens, is it only a matter of time before somebody can be convicted for adjusting the AC or heating whilst driving? Will manufacturers go back to old school buttons and knobs? Mazda are currently trying to move away from touch screens for safety reasons. In the latest models, the touch screen locks when the vehicle is moving.

Personally, I'm not a fan of touch screens as it means you have to take your eyes off the road whilst driving, whereas if you have buttons and knobs, you can simply reach down and feel for it without taking your eyes off the road. With touch screens, you don't develop muscle memory for the controls because there is no tactile feedback so you always have to look what you are doing.

https://loudlabs.media/techlabs/german-tesla-driver-has-been-convicted-of-adjusting-wipers-via-touchscreen/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

Just now, Barry said:

A driver in Germany has been convicted of using a restricted electronic device while driving after having a crash. The car is question was a Tesla Model 3. It was raining and the driver was adjusting the speed of the intermittent wipers which can only been done through the touch screen.

With so many cars having HVAC systems, radios and many other things controlled through the new wave of touch screens, is it only a matter of time before somebody can be convicted for adjusting the AC or heating whilst driving? Will manufacturers go back to old school buttons and knobs? Mazda are currently trying to move away from touch screens for safety reasons. In the latest models, the touch screen locks when the vehicle is moving.

Personally, I'm not a fan of touch screens as it means you have to take your eyes off the road whilst driving, whereas if you have buttons and knobs, you can simply reach down and feel for it without taking your eyes off the road. With touch screens, you don't develop muscle memory for the controls because there is no tactile feedback so you always have to look what you are doing.

https://loudlabs.media/techlabs/german-tesla-driver-has-been-convicted-of-adjusting-wipers-via-touchscreen/

Totally agree. Touch screens are a real pain, but i also understand partially why Tesla is using them. You can avoid a ton or wiring. I also prefer a simple rotating switch.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Personally, I also prefer some essential controls to be adjustable via knobs or buttons. Muscle memory will help a lot. Touch screen only for non-essential and elective controls, like radio, maps, phone connection etc. It is an overkill and disaster waiting to happen when something essential like wipers speed need to be adjusted via the touch screen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

There has to be balance between buttons and screens. The main advantage of touch screens are costs. Imagine how many functions you can put under 1 screen, everything if you want, right?

I think there has to come a regulation for this that specifies which functions need to be operated by buttons for redundancy and safety.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Well controlling the touch screen through buttons on the steering wheel or voice command comes to mind. Since technology has done so well so for let's not go back, let's look forward to making things better.

• Like (+1) 1