•  
Advertise here

Securing items in trunk on X

@Niki you are now being the devil to hold @Ahab Shamaa to the "happy spending" mantra 😆

Do any of the FJ-ers having rear door rattling issues ? 

I have been hearing some intermittent rattles from the rear. I have checked the suspension arms and what have you under the carriage and have cleared out my trunk to locate the source of sound. I deduced that it would be the tailgate door but still not 100% sure. Hence checking here for advice since some of you have mentioned that the lower hinge of the tailgate door is weak. As an FYI, except for the spare tyre (and flag pole), I do not mount anything on my tailgate door. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, topgear said:

@Niki you are now being the devil to hold @Ahab Shamaa to the "happy spending" mantra 😆

I have been hearing some intermittent rattles from the rear. I have checked the suspension arms and what have you under the carriage and have cleared out my trunk to locate the source of sound. I deduced that it would be the tailgate door but still not 100% sure. Hence checking here for advice since some of you have mentioned that the lower hinge of the tailgate door is weak. As an FYI, except for the spare tyre (and flag pole), I do not mount anything on my tailgate door. 

I know it's a simple.one. But I thought something was rattling and it turned out to be zips on various bags and storage hitting each other making a metallic noise. Also a coin or something stuck somewhere can make a lot of noise. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, topgear said:

Like Alex mentioned it maybe something simple.  For me I had a rattle and it ended up being the stock jack and tools plus the built in hose for the compressor rattling around gently … so an annoying sound but not very loud. 

A short strip of Velcro for the tools worked a charm and I used some non slip rubber mats to line where the air hose sits and that has removed all the rattle.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, topgear said:

I shall investigate further and update here if I discover anything new. I should check the left compartment where the stock jack is stored.

@topgear not sure if you resolved the rattling … I found this video that may be helpful if still investigating 

https://youtu.be/ptGmKzmkrtg

• Like (+1) 1

@Niki thank you!

I have not identified the rattle conclusively but I did suspect the rear door being the culprit. The video is a good review as it also talked about the infamous FJ lean!😆

Edited by topgear
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm not sure what exactly rattle you FJ guys are discussing, but I do have some rear door rattle especially on loose gravel track or crisscrossing. I found the solution with lithium grease (last for 6 months) or WD40 (last 2-3 months).

If its something else than regular door hinges or lock rubbing or squeaking - please ignore my comment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, topgear said:

@Gaurav I am experiencing door lock rubbing or squeaking. It does not happen during the day when it is hot. Only at night or early morning. It will be more obvious in the next couple of months. 

Try WD40 when it squeaks, if it stops. Load it with lithium grease or even normal grease too, but it will attract more sand than lithium (kind of non-sticky but lubricating grease). 20-30 dh for regular brand and 40-50 for little high end.

Two door setup like in my LC100 and Patrol Y61 this was HORRIBLE, single door are at least far better.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Try WD40 when it squeaks, if it stops. Load it with lithium grease or even normal grease too, but it will attract more sand than lithium (kind of non-sticky but lubricating grease). 20-30 dh for regular brand and 40-50 for little high end.

Two door setup like in my LC100 and Patrol Y61 this was HORRIBLE, single door are at least far better.

I will give this a try.  I always thought I am the only one experiencing this as I open the 3rd door, at least 4 times a day. 

• Haha (+1) 1