•  
Advertise here

Toyota FJ Cruiser Base plate / Skid plate need

Hi

During my last Friday drive at Al Qudra, the base plate of my FJ 2013 model, got completely bent while recovering on reverse. I had to get it removed as fixing this back doesn’t seem to be a good idea now. I have shared pictures of the plate and the view from down now. 

My request for an expert advice is about

1) whether a similar base plate is advisable (keeping in mind that this was done by dealer themself for a few years of FJ models and not directly from Toyota)?

2) is it ok to continue off roading (mostly desert for now) without this plate? Picture shared with view of base.

3) is it required to have such extra protection, either another base plate of this kind or other types of skid plates available outside in the market (steel / aluminum) or its a nice to have stuff?

I would appreciate guidance from my fellow Carnity members or our expert leaders please. 

CA5C7096-6F35-457E-BD85-7D38D23FBC22.jpeg

3199422F-D759-4A32-B813-91094C758461.jpeg

0AD052FE-B160-420C-8E04-CA7B85754355.jpeg

I have an aftermarket base plate which is thicker than the original plates.

I do not recommend that you drive without the base plate. It is for the protection of your undercarriage, radiators and such. My original was pretty bent Toyota SC quoted me something in the region of AED2k plus to replace the plate, screws etc. I read around and went for an aftermarket skid plate a couple of years ago.

Edited by topgear
  • Like (+1) 1

@Biju Abdul as mentioned by everyone driving without a skid plate is something not recommended. You can make an aftermarket one of 6 or 8mm of steel or aluminium. @Asif Hussain please advise. 10 mm is an overkill in my opinion. Make sure to cut some vents similar to your current skid plate. This is to allow the hot air from the engine bay to escape and helps prevent overheating.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@Biju Abdulthe one that I have also have certain cut out areas where the service centre can open with the Allen key when they need to change the oil filter, drain the engine oil etc, During regular service, the SC does not need to remove the whole skid plate.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, topgear said:

@Biju Abdulthe one that I have also have certain cut out areas where the service centre can open with the Allen key when they need to change the oil filter, drain the engine oil etc, During regular service, the SC does not need to remove the whole skid plate.

Thank you @topgear @sertac @Srikumar for the advice. A known workshop guy in sharjah suggested 10 mm aluminum (as opposed to steel for lesser weight) which protects the base more area than current base plate. The cost is 1200 aed including labour charges. I will go for it thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Biju Abdul your radiator is sitting inside frame. 6mm thick aluminium is more than enough. If you have hanging radiator then you should go for a thicker plate with proper radiator support bracket. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Asif Hussain said:

@Biju Abdul your radiator is sitting inside frame. 6mm thick aluminium is more than enough. If you have hanging radiator then you should go for a thicker plate with proper radiator support bracket. 

Thank you @Asif Hussain

But I had confirmed to the workshop today for 10 mm aluminum skid plate and will get it installed tomorrow. Hope it’s fine too?

12 minutes ago, Biju Abdul said:

Thank you @Asif Hussain

But I had confirmed to the workshop today for 10 mm aluminum skid plate and will get it installed tomorrow. Hope it’s fine too?

It's over specified but it will be fine if you already ordered it

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2