•  

COVID19 Compliant - ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra- Dubai - 4 Sep 2020

Srikumar

TRIP REPORT

It was the perfect Absolute Newbie Drive where we had thrills and fun without having to take out the rope or even the showel.

As usual I had reached the meeting point by 4:35 AM only to see that @Tbone and @Anand Nataraj had already reached and had begun deflating. As the entire convoy started trickling in, we did the check of everyone's tow points and helped out those who needed assistance in deflation.

After the newbie and COVID19 briefing we started off on some flat tracks so that everyone gets used to the pace and feel of their cars in the sand. We then moved towards the medium range dunes of Qudra, where we practiced small side slopping,going up and down a dune, riding on broad ridges to have good steering control.

@Xavier Treasurer who had previous off-roading experience in gravel and mud was facing his first challenge on the sand in the responsible position of second lead. And he did an absolutely brilliant job understanding when to follow and when not to follow me. It made my job of communicating with the second lead much more easier. 

@Baskaran P.R though started the drive with a bit of apprehension, but slowly settled and his confidence started to show as the drive progressed with lesser and lesser refusals. Hope you had a good time. 

@Yasas Dharmadasa joined us with his manual transmission Cherokee Liberty and it definitely seemed to have a lot more grunt than the automatic version. Managed most of the terrain pretty well and wherever had a refusal he listened to the radio instructions and managed to self recover himself. Well done.

@Athula Dharmadada joined us for the second time, but this time in a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 model. Ofcourse with this car being a proper 4x4 with better ground clearance compared to his previous trip with an AWD Pathfinder, it sailed through all the dunes with the minimal of fuss. 

@Sandyman85 had a nice black stallion in the form of a Dodge Durango. It took him a while to start to get a proper feel and throttle response on the car, but in the second half of the drive, i hardly heard any refusals from him on the radio. Well done. That car is not easy to drive, but it does have a lot of power and its only a question of harnessing it properly.

@Francois Swart had a beautiful Pajero 3.8 SWB and he was gliding through the entire route with a lot of ease. That car has a lot of power in comparison to its weight and is a good offroader.

@izzumonv did the very wise choice of changing his ride to an Xterra and even though he was at the back end of the convoy he didnt struggle one bit through all the cross tracks left by the cars in front. Well done. 

@Anand Nataraj is another Xterra addition to our club, and I was mighty impressed with his capabilities as a Newbie. He rarely struggled and was doing all the sideys in a very smooth manner. Keep it up.

@Paulina Kolicka joined us along with Tamas Hoffman and managed her Pajero nicely. Maybe its time to ask Tamas to get you your own offroad ride. 😉

@Yusuf Esaf managed his Patrol Y62 very well for his first desert drive. Though the car is a V8, its a very heavy car which needs a lot more effort but you did very well.

Finally a big shout out to @Tbone and @Janarthan for excellently managing and helping the entire convoy and getting them moving in a smooth manner. 

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level:

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you next weekend on the sand. Till then take care and drive safe.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

44 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

TRIP REPORT

It was the perfect Absolute Newbie Drive where we had thrills and fun without having to take out the rope or even the showel.

As usual I had reached the meeting point by 4:35 AM only to see that @Tbone and @Anand Nataraj had already reached and had begun deflating. As the entire convoy started trickling in, we did the check of everyone's tow points and helped out those who needed assistance in deflation.

After the newbie and COVID19 briefing we started off on some flat tracks so that everyone gets used to the pace and feel of their cars in the sand. We then moved towards the medium range dunes of Qudra, where we practiced small side slopping,going up and down a dune, riding on broad ridges to have good steering control.

@Xavier Treasurer who had previous off-roading experience in gravel and mud was facing his first challenge on the sand in the responsible position of second lead. And he did an absolutely brilliant job understanding when to follow and when not to follow me. It made my job of communicating with the second lead much more easier. 

@Baskaran P.R though started the drive with a bit of apprehension, but slowly settled and his confidence started to show as the drive progressed with lesser and lesser refusals. Hope you had a good time. 

@Yasas Dharmadasa joined us with his manual transmission Cherokee Liberty and it definitely seemed to have a lot more grunt than the automatic version. Managed most of the terrain pretty well and wherever had a refusal he listened to the radio instructions and managed to self recover himself. Well done.

@Athula Dharmadada joined us for the second time, but this time in a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 model. Ofcourse with this car being a proper 4x4 with better ground clearance compared to his previous trip with an AWD Pathfinder, it sailed through all the dunes with the minimal of fuss. 

@Sandyman85 had a nice black stallion in the form of a Dodge Durango. It took him a while to start to get a proper feel and throttle response on the car, but in the second half of the drive, i hardly heard any refusals from him on the radio. Well done. That car is not easy to drive, but it does have a lot of power and its only a question of harnessing it properly.

@Francois Swart had a beautiful Pajero 3.8 SWB and he was gliding through the entire route with a lot of ease. That car has a lot of power in comparison to its weight and is a good offroader.

@izzumonv did the very wise choice of changing his ride to an Xterra and even though he was at the back end of the convoy he didnt struggle one bit through all the cross tracks left by the cars in front. Well done. 

@Anand Nataraj is another Xterra addition to our club, and I was mighty impressed with his capabilities as a Newbie. He rarely struggled and was doing all the sideys in a very smooth manner. Keep it up.

@Paulina Kolicka joined us along with Tamas Hoffman and managed her Pajero nicely. Maybe its time to ask Tamas to get you your own offroad ride. 😉

@Yusuf Esaf managed his Patrol Y62 very well for his first desert drive. Though the car is a V8, its a very heavy car which needs a lot more effort but you did very well.

Finally a big shout out to @Tbone and @Janarthan for excellently managing and helping the entire convoy and getting them moving in a smooth manner. 

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag and radio as a minimum. 

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level:

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

@Srikumar @Tbone @Janarthan

You guys were great and need great level of patience to lead and guide. It was amazing experience and looking forward to more drives. Thanks to everyone for being a sport. 

• Like (+1) 2

A click from today's ride. 

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

TRIP REPORT

@Srikumar @Tbone @Janarthan

You guys were great and need great level of patience to lead and guide. It was amazing experience and looking forward to more drives. Thanks to everyone for being a sport. 

IMG-20200904-WA0030.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use