•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Area 53 - Sharjah - 04 Sep 2020

Emmanuel

THIS DRIVE IS NOW CLOSED

Dear Jeepers, Xterrians, FJcruiserist and Pajeroist,   

@Foxtrot Oscar @Kalahari, @Najeeb Mohammed, @Chaitanya D, @Rinelle Sanaani, @Febin Frederic, @Mels Wolf

See you tomorrow at 5.30 at our meeting point.

Here is our convoy numbering  

1. Emmanuel (white Xterra)

2. Mels Wolf (brown Pajero) 

3. Najeeb Mohammed (black FJ)

4. Chaitanya D (white Xterra) 

5. Rinelle Sanaani (grey Wrangler) 

6. Foxtrot Oscar (black Xterra)

7.  Febin Frederic (orange Wrangler)

8. Kalahari (red Xterra)

We will be using Carnity Radio channel 5.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Morning guys & girl,

What a great drive this morning starting with a nice high pace and some bowls, and the team effort on the pop outs to get going quickly again! 

thanks all of you for joining, and hopefully see you soon again!!

@Chaitanya D I’ve added a pic where you’ve shown great patience and teamwork ensuring the other drivers where able to catch up with the convoy again!!

48ECFB41-6076-4133-8F92-A9D6A470C1F1.jpeg

Edited by Mels Wolf
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Emmanuel thank you for a fast paced drive , really enjoyed the challenges. 

All was well climbing the Iftar bowl twice without a drop of sweat, doing the bowls and the crisscrossing. My car had twin pop outs on smallish bushes which caught me by surprise.  With the monster 3T jack which@Mels Wolf has we were able to fix them rather quickly.Thank you for this improvisation. 

Everyone drove really well considering the faster pace and the challenges. Great teamwork from all.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vdvmQJdVNxv

Opened my wheels and cleaned the sand inside ( attached pictures ). Quite a lot inside the tyres and I wonder what will happen if left inside ?

20200904_093548.jpg.211f42eccc697f274bfa37f6a66be240.jpg20200904_094139.jpg.15960e31fd8c88a656596b90f4db0e58.jpg

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

18 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

@Emmanuel thank you for a fast paced drive , really enjoyed the challenges. 

All was well climbing the Iftar bowl twice without a drop of sweat, doing the bowls and the crisscrossing. My car had twin pop outs on smallish bushes which caught me by surprise.  With the monster 3T jack which@Mels Wolf has we were able to fix them rather quickly.Thank you for this improvisation. 

Everyone drove really well considering the faster pace and the challenges. Great teamwork from all.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vdvmQJdVNxv

Opened my wheels and cleaned the sand inside ( attached pictures ). Quite a lot inside the tyres and I wonder what will happen if left inside ?

20200904_093548.jpg.211f42eccc697f274bfa37f6a66be240.jpg20200904_094139.jpg.15960e31fd8c88a656596b90f4db0e58.jpg

If you keep the sand inside it causes vibration at higher speeds, and causes imbalance of the tyres very annoying if you have to drive back to Dubai! Happy to see you got them cleaned! Badayer tyre shops are luckily quick and cheap! Make sure they also balance them after cleaning as sometimes they try to be really “quick”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Another excellent drive @Emmanuel Great pace and sufficiently challenging. It also showed the importance of checking your rear view mirror for the car behind you as we became detached from the convoy. 

Note to self, remember to switch back to 4 Hi from 4 Lo, I thought there was something wrong with the traction until I noticed my rookie error. 😲  Thankfully I didn't roast my engine .🙃

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Note to self, remember to switch back to 4 Hi from 4 Lo, I thought there was something wrong with the traction until I noticed my rookie error. 😲  Thankfully I didn't roast my engine .🙃

Angela, it happened to all of us many times. Another classic mistake I still do from time to time: forget the hand break. Once I drove about 3 km trough middle sized dunes with it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

@Emmanuel never disappoints me. Lead was excellent as usual. Badayer is one of my fav, because of rich tall dunes and bowls it has.

I wish to highlight few things. I feel, When we plan an intermediate level drive on a terrain like this, we should limit the convoy to 5 or 6 vehicles.

Also driver should prepare themselves for a faster pace , tall climbs. I saw a bunch of refusals today which could have been avoided with more pace. Not to mention, at some point , i felt our guys were going easy on throttle where they really needed to push. Not sure if it was due to an early morning drive, perhaps you needed some warmup. It ruins the fun when u have refusal at the same spot again n again, and leave a churned up track for the guys at the back.

We maintained some good pace at the beginning, but when we started the climb, we had a lost situation.

Nevertheless, everyone did exceptionally well in climbing the bowl, that actually proves your vehicle's potential.

We were so unfortunate with couple of pop out situations, now you know why i don't like bushes.

Again, it is strictly a personal opinion, no hate to anyone. I am no expert to judge anyone, I am still improving my offroad skills. Its just me who was frustrated at the back of the convoy due to some high expectation of intermediate drive.

Edited by Febin Frederic
  • Like (+1) 1

The Carnity club is all about 'Stock cars' and learning with each other. Intermediate level not only tests your car's ability but also the driver's skills.  

Some prefer to have a pissing contest to see how high they can climb, others prefer the challenge of technical dunes, criss crossing and ridge riding. The drives generally accommodate all 

As for refusals, they are part and parcel of  off-roading, it happens to everyone, no matter their expertise and what we do as a club is wait and support, The driver will learn from it and at intermediate level (where no one is an expert)   you should be more than capable of re routing to avoid the churn, 

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

8 hours ago, Febin Frederic said:

I wish to highlight few things. I feel, When we plan an intermediate level drive on a terrain like this, we should limit the convoy to 5 or 6 vehicles.

Also driver should prepare themselves for a faster pace , tall climbs. I saw a bunch of refusals today which could have been avoided with more pace. Not to mention, at some point , i felt our guys were going easy on throttle where they really needed to push. Not sure if it was due to an early morning drive, perhaps you needed some warmup. It ruins the fun when u have refusal at the same spot again n again, and leave a churned up track for the guys at the back.

10 cars is perfectly normal for Intermediate level drives as we assume that the drivers have enough driving skills to reroute a bit to avoid cross tracks, and if still not possible to be able to plough through the churned track.

And in the event if the area is a complete soup, at Intermediate level you can inform the trip lead and do a complete reroute or if you need the trip lead to come back and help in rerouting the same can be announced over the radio.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

3 hours ago, Srikumar said:

10 cars is perfectly normal for Intermediate level drives as we assume that the drivers have enough driving skills to reroute a bit to avoid cross tracks, and if still not possible to be able to plough through the churned track.

And in the event if the area is a complete soup, at Intermediate level you can inform the trip lead and do a complete reroute or if you need the trip lead to come back and help in rerouting the same can be announced over the radio.

Agree..re routing can be done. I was saying the real fun of intermediate drive is keeping the pace. I didn't mean to highlight churning up is the only issue. I was surprised to see some drivers who had done really well in other drives struggling to keep up. I wanted to say, some drives require a little bit of preperation.

Peace !

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use