•  

What to do with all that junk in my trunk?

Lisa Pemberton

I've been driving with Carnity for a couple of months now and am steadily gathering more equipment. My question to those off-roaders who have been doing this for longer than I, and probably have a lot more equipment than I do, is, what to do with all that junk in my trunk? I like to be organised and wonder if anyone has got custom solutions where cables and tools are clipped neatly in the back or are most people using those nets you get in the hardware store. I'm sure that if there was an unfortunate accident, the heavier pieces of equipment could do serious damage if left unrestrained in the back of the vehicle.

Side note - how do you guys manage your walkie-talkies whilst driving? I've had mine unclip and fly over to the passenger side foot well at least once every drive I've done.

Looking forward to hearing about your solutions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Syed Raza Hussain said:

Hi,  U can go for an organizer. Sharing the links with u, hope it helps

https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B07ZYWKBKY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9ulvFb6YR5ZFR

https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B07YWV12Q5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3wlvFb5G80N07

or u can search something similar. 

Thanks @Syed Raza Hussain, I've looked at these king of organisers but they don't seem to have the kind of storage needed to keep jumper cables, hydraulic jack, jumper leads, shovels etc. fixed in position and safe should the car roll. I was looking for solutions which were more geared towards heavier off-road and camping equipment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

You could use boxes for all the small stuff. Bungee cord and web nets to ensure that all the other items like shovel, jack, compressor etc are tightly fitted and do not move. In your Pajero I believe there are 4 points on which you can attach the bungee cord hooks. This works reasonably well without much investment.

For the radios I use the cup holders and they are deep enough to prevent the radio from falling off. Alternatively you can hang it around your neck, though I don't prefer that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

I never thought of bungee cord! Thanks for the tip!

Yes, I considered a lanyard of some sort but had similar reservations.

• Like (+1) 1

If the bungee cord get loose after sometime you can secure those box with tie-down strap.

More stronger and offer jump/roll-over proof solution.

image.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

Hi @Lisa Pemberton

small items shouldn’t be loose , try arrange them in small box and these in turn in bigger one and secure it by straps , bungee cord , ... etc 

radio squeez it press fit in the ashtray place , for your vehicle I think can be in cup holder . 

5533A80F-DC44-41C0-908D-67CFCC493447.jpeg

EF2A4E46-ED5A-4997-B8A5-B63CBD9723BA.jpeg

Thanks for the visual @Mohamed Seidam! It helps to see examples of what other people have done to solve this problem!

• Like (+1) 3

I had a bad experience where I dropped my walkie talkie and could not reach it during the drive. Since then, I always have the walkie around my neck. The cupholders of FJ is rather shallow for the walkie and may topple over during some 'manoeuvre'. 

• Like (+1) 5

Important Information

Terms of use