•  
Advertise here

Throttle Valve

I've driven two identical Xterras , same year, same model , similar mileage but with the second one I've noticed a distinct lack of throttle especially at the lower end . The black X wouldn't pull you out if bed whereas the white one could pull the QE2 down SZR . This has very obvious consequences for off-roading. The past three drives have seen me struggle to get this beast of a car up a dune that the  previous X would have revelled in. I'm happy it's testing my driving skills to the extreme but ...

It's been to the mechanic and he noticed that it was hitting quite a high RPM before switching up gear, this isn't a huge problem as I could drop it into 1sr or 2nd , but it's just not as responsive as I think it should be 

Ive been doing my research and I came across several topics about the throttle body , some suggest the butterfly valve could be sticky/dirty and to be honest when I read the effects of a dirty valve then it seems to tie in with the issues with the new X.

i also read that cleaning the throttle body could be problematic as a 'relearn' process may be necessary .

Any advice before I start telling my mechanic how to do his job and act like someone who thinks they're dying because they googled their ailments on Web MD 😂

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Relearn process is nothing to worry about. Plug the computer in, hit the throttle relearn button and follow the instructions on screen. Only takes a couple of minutes. 

Have you pulled the intake pipe off and looked inside the throttle body to see if it actually needs cleaning?

Other than that, you need to go for a drive with the computer plugged in and monitor the live data to see what’s going on. Being scientific and methodical goes a long way towards diagnosis rather than reckoning. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Barry thanks for this , I obviously haven’t because I don’t own such a device , but I shall have a look today just to develop my own very basic skills and then take it to the mechanic to sort out .

god bless YouTube 😅

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Emmanuel said:

You can also do the relearn process manually, as you can see here: 

Also did you check the spark plugs?

My first thought was the plugs but then I thought the throttle.

That’s the very video I was watching . I’m gonna have a look myself later before I do anything at the garage I’m hoping it’s a simple easy fix 

• Like (+1) 1

Spark plugs can affect the throttle response greatly. Since its a new purchase its good to get all the spark plugs, ignition coils, air filters, Throttle body checked /cleaned / replaced as a first step. That should sort out most of the problems. How many km is the car driven?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

6 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Spark plugs can affect the throttle response greatly. Since its a new purchase its good to get all the spark plugs, ignition coils, air filters, Throttle body checked /cleaned / replaced as a first step. That should sort out most of the problems. How many km is the car driven?

Totally agree. I recently replaced mine and the car became a lot more responsive on low throttle. Also injector cleaning is an important thing to check.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

59 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Good plan! Thanks , it’s done 100k and has FSH from the agency 

• Like (+1) 1