•  
Advertise here

Why is kill switch not a standard function for all 4WD cars?

topgear

I would assume that car manufacturers know that those who take the 4WD cars to the desert will need to switch off the airbags, ABS, traction controls etc. Why does it not come with a kill switch? I had install an after market kill switch. 

If there is a global safety regulations that it could not be a standard item then at least make this an option for buyers to choose. Manufacturers can also educate the users in the manual on how to operate it safely and that the manufacturers disclaim all sort of liabilities whatsoever. 

So far, I know FJ does not come with a kill switch, and based on what I read, Xterra, Pajero and Wrangler as well.

Edited by topgear
  • Like (+1) 2

I believe some countries you can't sell a new car which all these safety equipments can be easily canceled. There are many brilliant minded people out there would like to cancel the air bag because it is expensive to replace when you made an accident(on the road).

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

I would imagine liability is a major issue. What if someone turned their airbags off, forgot about it then went out on the road, had an accident and broke their face on the steering wheel. Same with ABS, what if someone forgot to turn it back on and skidded into the back of a petrol tanker. Who is going to get the blame for that? The vehicle manufacturer. 

The market for such products is extremely niche and would be an extra cost that manufacturers just wouldn’t be interested in entertaining. The closest the majority of 4x4s and SUVs will ever get to off roading is parking in the sandy area outside their apartment or going over speed bumps in the mall parking. 

Frankly, I would be terrified if the general public had the ability to turn safety systems on and off at will. The majority of people don’t care about performance driving and even more are reliant on these safety systems to keep them out of trouble. A quick drive through Dubai and a look at the standard of driving will show why these systems are in place and how important they are. People just aren’t responsible or smart enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

@Barry very valid points particularly the end users are not matured or responsible enough to handle the override function, in particular, cars of today are more powerful than those days before all these safety features come into existence. 

• Like (+1) 2