•  

Gaia GPS For Beginners

Frederic

4 minutes ago, Abu Muhammad said:

@Frederic Your hard work as always been much appreciated. I purchased the app but for some reason they charged me 34.99GBP. I am still getting used to it and so far so good. 

Thanks @Abu Muhammad you have probably selected the Premium membership. Anyways it's a fantastic investment for any offroader and the sooner you start to use it (you can record your weekly drives and save them), the sooner you will learn to read the terrain. Good luck !

• Like (+1) 8
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

10 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Absolutely Fantastic efforts put together by @Frederic, this is real gold mine for many offroaders here.

Especially to our new leaders in making, please invest some time and get familiar with this app, as MotionX (my fav) is slowly fading off and on the verge of getting discontinued.

@sertac @Chaitanya D @Kalahari @Tbone @Brette @Vanessa8580 start using this app and start getting familiar, as from second leaders lead drive you will be required to do planning and leading with navigation app or stand alone satnav (if you prefer).

Feel free to post your questions here, so that everyone can learn together.

Bought and downloaded 2 days ago. Will start to use it and build a repository of waypoints from this weekend. Most of my waypoints will be comfy patches of soft sand to avoid :-)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

4 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Bought and downloaded 2 days ago. Will start to use it and build a repository of waypoints from this weekend. Most of my waypoints will be comfy patches of soft sand to avoid :-)

Brillant ! I mostly use waypoints to identify play areas, and use the "create area" functionality to draw a rectangular around the soft patches and tricky areas. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

39 minutes ago, Frederic said:

The ESRI sattelite Imagery currently has the best detailed sattelite maps in my opinion. So this one is recommended to use. In the program itself i often toggle inbetween the different maps as all have their pros and cons depending on the terrain or description.

Hi @Frederic, I also like topo maps to give indication of the gradient of some dunes / areas. With ESRI as base, which are your favourite overlays used?

Just now, Frederic said:

Brillant ! I mostly use waypoints to identify play areas, and use the "create area" functionality to draw a rectangular around the soft patches and tricky areas. 

Saw the use of red areas in your post - I love that and will certainly use that. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Kalahari said:

Hi @Frederic, I also like topo maps to give indication of the gradient of some dunes / areas. With ESRI as base, which are your favourite overlays used?

Topo maps needs some practice to read, and i have been fooled a few times by them (Won't get foooooled again !!).

I have the following overlays enabled. Every once in a while i enable "public tracks" to see if anyone has posted or made tracks in the area i am scouting. 

In the Premium version you can also overlay 2 maps on top of each other @Wrangeld has used this functionality before. I did not try that yet.

image.png.dab3c78bf256ab2e5686acaad9cc2b67.png

• Like (+1) 5

Difference between Topo map and Sattelite Image:

image.png.566d3e870924f9fab1a3d2ea107eacc9.png

image.png.b677524908c2e6fe1b8442fa825e6956.png

• Like (+1) 7

Hi @Frederic this is as ever a useful addition to the available info for drivers. Yes, I have a premuim edition of Gaia and 'invested' in this because there is a small element of added functionality - there's the ability to edit routes, overlay routes and if you're in North America it looks like it wil actually do the walking for you on the hikes. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use