•  
Advertise here

Pajero. Bash/skid plates. Lift.

The last couple of drives have had me nosediving hard off a couple of short dunes and the underside of my bumper is getting close to kissing the front right tire.

I saw both @Yousef Alimadadi and @Mels Wolf post about getting mods done for their Pajeros. Seems to be 1000AED or thereabouts is the ballpark range. Looking for shop recommendations to do the work. 

Also how do we feel about the benefits of getting a suspension lift and what kind of prices, shop recommendations do you have?

• Like (+1) 1

The bumper touching the front tyre is a different issue from the skid plate.

1. For the bumper touching the tyre, I recommend to remove the black plast mud guard at the bottom and to trim the bumper a bit. If you could send a picture of your front bumper I can mark it for you. It should not cost you more than AED 200. This should be done asap.

2. The skid plate is to protect the engine from some hard bumps. Now, Pajero does come with a stock skid plate, but its advisable to get it upgraded when possible. A 6mm steel or 8 mm aluminium with perforations should suffice. This would cost you approx AED 700 - 1000. 

I would suggest to go for a lift at a later stage and not immediately as that can be a major expense as you not only have to increase the height but probably widen a stance a bit to balance the center of gravity. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Thanks for the detailed response @Srikumar, I'll take your advice and hold off on the lift.

I appreciate the clarification on the bumper being a separate issue to the bash plate! Makes sense to get them both done at the same time if I'm making the trip to a workshop!

20200913_093745.jpg

IMG_20200913_094234.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Cut it along the red line

image.png.14d53366368ccf5abece3a0000c4cdb6.png

Also, your stock skid plate is already bent, so might as well get it replaced with something better. @Shiju Manuel has just got something done recently and you can check with him as well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On @Vanessa8580 her Pajero that has the same 2008 front bumper as yours, we trimmed the bumper ourselves with a Stanley knife along the orange line. Make 4-5 cuts along the line and the whole bottom part will come off. On the rearside there are a few small bolts to be removed, but all in all this takes max 45 mins and does not cost anything

image.png.b76cf215a7af012adac684c21c0d4eaf.png

imageGalleryImg

IMG_9399.jpg.0bcab8874fc99eec9a06d57ce56f0620.jpg

image.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Srikumar and @Frederic that's really clear, thanks for the advice. I think I'll trim it myself as when I hard lock the steering to reverse into my parking spot I can feel it rubbing on my tire. 

Will try to get the bash plates upgraded before the next drive sees me leaving parts of the engine in the desert behind me!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I will be doing the same this evening. So will send photos of the job. Will use a little sand paper to smooth off the edges. 

Bash plate ... will look around for options. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hi @Lisa Pemberton  the issue of tire touching on the bumper will solve by cutting the lower part of bumper as per marked by @Srikumar and @Frederic, but its better to be done in any garage because at the back side there are some bolts which need to be removed to do this job, cutting will be very simply done with knife but after that at the back side of the bumper there is plastic flap which need to be securely fit it to the bumper.

The skid plate i have done at Al Jazeera, Sharjah, 8MM plate with powder coating and fixing total cost 1090 Dhs. It will be less if you don't want powder coating. 

pcs for reference.

Pajero_lower_bumper_cutting-04.jpg

IMG_1597.JPG

Edited by Shiju Manuel
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Shiju Manuel said:

Hi @Lisa Pemberton  the issue of tire touching on the bumper will solve by cutting the lower part of bumper as per marked by @Srikumar and @Frederic, but its better to be done in any garage because at the back side there are some bolts which need to be removed to do this job, cutting will be very simply done with knife but after that at the back side of the bumper there is plastic flap which need to be securely fit it to the bumper. 

The skid plate i have done at Al Jazeera, Sharjah, 8MM plate with powder coating and fixing total cost 1090 Dhs. 

pcs for reference.

Pajero_lower_bumper_cutting-04.jpg

IMG_1597.JPG

Hi @Shiju Manuel agree with you, as it's more tricky to do it yourselves on your bumper because your bumper is more recent (facelift) model. Nicely done !

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."