•  

COVID 19 compliant - Evening Fewbie Desert Drive - Moonshot: Tawi to Big Red 18 Sep 2020

Wrangeld

10 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Dear @Wrangeld, dear @Kalahari, dear @Jeepie,

today we were meant to look at the stars but it looks like there wasn't the right star alignment for this drive to go as planned. 

I have championed for quite some time the very special ranking (😂😂) of those who had the most frequent pop-outs (for my son's pleasure) and sweated in learning how to handle them, but today's was the trickiest ever seen for me and the first one which, despite all efforts, couldn't be fixed. 

This unfortunate event stole the best time of our ride, which - combined with SZR-style traffic at Pink Rock - made it impossible to reach Al Badayer by daylight.

@Kalahari smoothly pushed the pace a bit but after sunset the east side of Pink Rock became soon very dark and it was really not safe to continue towards Al Badayer by night, especially after we spent some more time helping @Ashok chaturvedi get out from a difficult longitudinal crested stuck.

In all this, I also discovered (I'll leave it to your imagination "how" I did it) that my daughter (who was joining me in the desert for the 1st time) doesn't really get along well with the shaking and tossing of desert riding: an early exit was, in her case, definitely the best option. 

As @Wrangeld said, we may have not reached for the moon as hoped, but the ride was anyhow valuable experience and the sight of the sunset from Pink Rock alone was, as usual, worth every effort. 

Looking forward to the next attempt to the moon. 

PS: @Wrangeld, as I was on the rush when I reached the meeting point I forgot to turn on the tracking app on my mobile. Can you share, if available, the ride data (distance / duration at least) for my records? Thanks in advance 

Thank you Marshall and support team.. it was wonderful learning experience and found a great team at work to help out.. my car does have a some issue and is being dealt with.. hope the problem will sort out very soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

Don't Defy the Drive God's

Sometimes things just don't go your way. When that happens, there is no point fighting it, just like there is no point fighting gravity in our drives. It started so well, with everyone raring to go, but a totally innocuous recovery that happened on almost flat ground, that turned into the impossible pop out was clearly a message from the drive gods to watch our step. 

We tried everything to get the pop out sorted, with the whole team coming up with solutions and suggestions. No matter what we tried, the end result was a change of wheel.

Even so it was possible to see that

@Ilya Golubinsky and @Jun Zamorashowed as usual that the Jeep is a great tool for all drives. 

@David Ortells grows well in the FJ and @Jolly Abraham was unstoppable when ever help was needed. @Tero Vallas you are starting to understand so much better how the mighty Prado moves  

Back on the move again, we made it to Pink Rock without incident, finally able to push the pace and complexity a little.

To say Pink Rock was busy is like saying that the Burj Kalifah is quite tall. It was full of convoys and crazies and cross tracks, so with @Kalahari in the lead we moved on. 

The drive gods clearly had not determined we would reach Big Red. Too many refusals to deal with had eaten into our daylight and we were simply too far to propose driving in the dark all the way there. 

Everyone was doing really well @Ashok chaturvedi and @jodha singh shekhawat as new Fewbies realised this game gets more exciting as you get promoted. 

Talking of promotions @Lorenzo Candelpergher did a great job in C.F. and @Shiju Manuel showed why he earned his recent elevation. 

@Jeepie, as ever kept everythj my tidy at the back. 

Will this drive go down as one the best ever in the pantheon of Carnity drives. Probably not, but it's one that will be remembered for not quite making it to the moon, but getting important learning instead. 

Thanks @Wrangeld and team

The important time of yesterday's drive was spoiled because of me, for which I apologize to all of you carnity family. The help that @Wrangeld, @Kalahari ,@Lorenzo Candelpergher all of you helped popout yesterday was a huge collaboration. You took me out of my trouble like a family member and supported me for this, I am very grateful to you all.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, jodha singh shekhawat said:

Thanks @Wrangeld and team

The important time of yesterday's drive was spoiled because of me, for which I apologize to all of you carnity family. The help that @Wrangeld, @Kalahari ,@Lorenzo Candelpergher all of you helped popout yesterday was a huge collaboration. You took me out of my trouble like a family member and supported me for this, I am very grateful to you all.

No need to apologize @jodha singh shekhawat - pop-outs are part of this hobby. You did well on your first Fewbie drive - hopefully many more for you to come. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

4 hours ago, Kalahari said:

No need to apologize @jodha singh shekhawat - pop-outs are part of this hobby. You did well on your first Fewbie drive - hopefully many more for you to come. 

I want specifically to answer @jodha singh shekhawat to repeat what @Kalahari wrote. You have zero reason to apologise. 

Popouts are part of the game, and seeing how your pop out brought out the best in our community, with everyone wanting to lend a hand, shows us again what Carnity is about. 

We enter and exit the desert as a team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

51 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

I want specifically to answer @jodha singh shekhawat to repeat what @Kalahari wrote. You have zero reason to apologise. 

Popouts are part of the game, and seeing how your pop out brought out the best in our community, with everyone wanting to lend a hand, shows us again what Carnity is about. 

We enter and exit the desert as a team. 

Dear @jodha singh shekhawat,

I incurred in many (....) pop-outs during my Carnity drives. Among all, I'll never forget the one I had while crossing literally the FIRST dune of the day, heading to Fossil Rock. I simply couldn't believe it, but - hey.. - it happened. 

I think having so many pop-outs has been one of the most useful experiences in my off-road learning and helped me a lot to understand what I was doing wrong. Discussing it ride after ride with Carnity senior staff and mostly with @Wrangeld helped me enormously in eventually improving my driving skills.

Pop-outs are part of the learning process.. Sooner or later EVERYONE will have one, that's for sure, and it is always a nice team building experience when convoy members come toghether to help. 

If I must really say it, however, my biggest frustration was that, despite all my efforts, I always had pop-outs on the wrong wheel and I could never capture one with my Go-Pro.. 😂 😂

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 9/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Dear @Wrangeld, dear @Kalahari, dear @Jeepie,

today we were meant to look at the stars but it looks like there wasn't the right star alignment for this drive to go as planned. 

I have championed for quite some time the very special ranking (😂😂) of those who had the most frequent pop-outs (for my son's pleasure) and sweated in learning how to handle them, but today's was the trickiest ever seen for me and the first one which, despite all efforts, couldn't be fixed. 

This unfortunate event stole the best time of our ride, which - combined with SZR-style traffic at Pink Rock - made it impossible to reach Al Badayer by daylight.

@Kalahari smoothly pushed the pace a bit but after sunset the east side of Pink Rock became soon very dark and it was really not safe to continue towards Al Badayer by night, especially after we spent some more time helping @Ashok chaturvedi get out from a difficult longitudinal cresting.

In all this, I also discovered (I'll leave it to your imagination "how" I did it) that my daughter (who was joining me in the desert for the 1st time) doesn't really get along well with the shaking and tossing of desert riding: an early exit was, in her case, definitely the best option. 

As @Wrangeld said, we may have not reached for the moon as hoped, but the ride was anyhow valuable experience and the sight of the sunset from Pink Rock alone was, as usual, worth every effort. 

Looking forward to the next attempt to the moon. 

PS: @Wrangeld, as I was on the rush when I reached the meeting point I forgot to turn on the tracking app on my mobile. Can you share, if available, the ride data (distance / duration at least) for my records? Thanks in advance 

Screenshot_20200920-101106_Wikiloc.jpg.6f8c39eb1f8fe0e3bc9ce4e9ed4d5f65.jpgScreenshot_20200920-101209_Wikiloc.jpg.2b401889447c0a6c471eb937175d2c93.jpg

I could probably share it by sending an email to you as well 

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/rPEfNu9O2J7V0K1c6UTylZJ4

• Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use